tx2500 heat

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Se7enLawliet, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tigerfalcon007

tigerfalcon007 Pen Pal - Newbie

How does the heat and noise from the tx2500 compare to the heat and noise from what I have now, A Sony Vaio PCG-K27?

2. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

I havent used the Sony but contrary to popular belief heat is not too big of an issue with the tx2500. when working on battery taking notes and surfing the web, the notebook is barely warm. The area near the HDD and the fan vents are warm but it is definitely usable and it wont burn your arms/skin in tablet mode. Of course the fan runs at low while on battery and it is a low hum. Unless you are in a near silent room the fan noise is muffled by the ambient noise. I have used it in classrooms/library & I havent heard any one complain about the fan while it is running on low speed.

Now while running intensive applications like encoding audio/video, the base does heat up a bit more but you can still touch and not be burnt. however, the fan will be running at its max and is noisy. The air soming out of the vents will be hot and the cpu will probably be maxing out around 90C+.

On A/C power running the usual apps like one note/journal/web browsers does make the fan switch between low and medium levels which can be very annoying but this can be controlled by using different processor power management settings in the power schemes. Of course this does impact performance but I usually just create a different power profile and use it as necessary whenever I need the full cpu power. The fan noise on A/C power with the default settings can get noisy but can be controlled.

I wish I had a decibel or a temperature meter to give you some numbers but hopefully I have explained in a way that will give you an idea of the heat/fan noise in the tx2500.

3. mas5acre

mas5acre Pen Pal - Newbie

If your worried about heat, you could always limit cpu performance to like 500mhz or something, about the noise....I've heard the high pitched squeal is only the 2.4ghz models. I have a 2.4ghz model, no squeal. If your talking about fan noise...pretty silent........love my tx2500z so far.

4. Se7enLawliet

Se7enLawliet Pen Pal - Newbie

The high pitched sqeeks are in all of them.

But it's really a matter of how good your hearing is. It drives me absolutely nuts.

But it was negligible for my girlfriend or friends....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.