TX2500 (2650ep) shuts down

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Seketh, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

Hi guys. My girlfriend's tx2500 has been shutting off randomly, sometimes after a few hours, sometimes it shuts down on boot, won't even show the HP logo.

Temperature is high, but under control. The CPU is undervolted and underclocked when plugged using the new ATI CCC.

Any ideias of what might be causing this? Warranty ended last december :(

2. jesa

jesa Pen Pal - Newbie

That could be a lot of things, bad memory , bad motherboard etc.....

I started getting the same problem after some video driver updates ( tx2627cl). The fix. I opened mine made sure the heatsink and fan were clean. I know mine was clean as I replaced them about 8 months ago.

based on a suggestion from others after a google search I replaced the thermal pads ( green or grey foam) where the heatsink touches the cpu and the gpu. I replaced mine with a silver thermal paste.

I have not had the problem since.

The worse case scenario is that the expansion due to heat has worn out the motherboard and it needs to be replaced

3. Seketh

Yeah, I figured it's probably related to dust and thermal conductivity, just wanted to be sure before sending it for cleaning (I'm not comfortable doing it myself)

I hope it's not the motherboard, thank you for your reply!

4. kingofmyworld324

kingofmyworld324 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, not to commandeer the thread but my tx2500z just started shutting off at random (not a proper shutdown, its as if someone yanked the plug out).

However, if I leave the battery in it doesn't shut off. The laptop just acts like the power was unplugged.

Does this mean my power adapter has gone bad?

I have a mouse, keyboard, tv tuner, external hdd, and 1080p monitor (I use it in dual screen mode for work) all connected to it. I know this laptop is not a powerhouse but I can't afford to get a better one right now.

So considering I have all this stuff should I replace it with the same 65w or get the 90w?

Thanks, any response is welcome!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

When you leave the battery in, check to see if it is charging.

I have had a recent problem with one of my chargers that appears to be a connection problem. Sometimes, when plugged in, it does not charge -- and just the slightest touch can turn the charging on or off. If the battery were not in the machine, that would disconnect it like yours.

Good luck!

6. Seketh

It's not the power. My girlfriend's laptop had the same symptoms, now it shuts down even with the battery.

7. kingofmyworld324

kingofmyworld324 Pen Pal - Newbie

Like I said, its like the adapter gets unplugged. With the battery inserted, the charge indicator led randomly goes on and off. When it goes off, I click the little battery indicator near the clock and it says nothing about charging. When the light comes back on it says "plugged in, not charging" then a few seconds later it changes to "plugged in, charging". Then the cycle starts all over again.

Edit: btw. I'm not touching the cord at all. I haven't touched it in over a year, its been behind my desk all along.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.