tx2000z in the USA

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by gkantz, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkantz

gkantz Pen Pal - Newbie

Got Mine This Morning. Like Night And Day. Wacom Digitizer Is Great. Touchscreen Much Better Than The 1000. Seems Snappier As Well. Very Happy With It So Far. Will Keep You Posted....

2. JR7

JR7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Gkantz,

Sounds like you have experience with both the TX1000 and now the TX2000. Can you elaborate on the comparison between them?

Is either screen clearer/grainier than the other?

I know the TX2000 has Wacom, but when the 2000 is in finger-touch mode, how does that compare to the TX1000? Do you still need the same amount of pressure, still need to use a fingernail, etc?

You already mentioned the 2000 being snappier performance-wise. Besides that, is there anything else you notice to be different between the two machines?

Thanks,

JR

3. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

not sure why it would be faster as it's the same hardware plus the addon of wacomm driver and software
    unless hp removed some bloat from the software it should be a bit slower

4. ScotchtapeLoser

ScotchtapeLoser Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe there is less bloatware on it or HP streamlined their own software to run more efficiently? Delayed startup on services?

Are the copper fins painted still? I remember reading how removing the paint on the TX1000 allowed the machine to run cooler. Did HP do this as well?

If my shipping time is the same as yours, then I should get mine either this friday or monday!

5. gkantz

gkantz Pen Pal - Newbie

To answer some of your questions:

The difference between the touch screens of a 1000 and 2000 is more than just noticeable. On the 1000 (which I had and subsequently sold because of its crappy handwriting) you had to apply a bit of pressure to the screen. On the 2000, you apply almost no pressure. The faint image of a mouse appears when you go into touch mode as well - don't know the significance of that yet but I'll find out. In fact, when you calibrate the pen under tablet settings, you also can calibrate "touch" separately. This touch sensitivity, along with the active WACOM digitizer, makes the 2000 so much better than the 1000 it's uncanny. This is the version HP should have came out with first.

As far as the quickness of the laptop, someone made a comment earlier about less bloatware. There seems to be about the same amount. One of the things I did this time around was order the laptop with a full 4GB of RAM, more expensive than upgrading the RAM myself. With the 1000, I upgraded the RAM myself with decent Kingston RAM and had a lot of problems. Had to download new BIOS, video drivers and some other stuff. But it really was never that much faster. The only thing I could say is maybe this laptop is engineered a bit better, or maybe its a better quality RAM. Why did I get a full 4GB? Will upgrade to Ultimate 64 eventually.

I don't know anything about the paint issue - anyone care to elaborate?

BTW, one thing I hated about the 1000 is it kept trying to upgrade my video drivers - constantly - even before the RAM upgrade. Have not seen this yet on this laptop. That was very annoying, so I'm glad it's gone.

-gk

6. tan880121

tan880121 Pen Pal - Newbie

wow.. it's great with tx2000..

7. ScotchtapeLoser

ScotchtapeLoser Scribbler - Standard Member

One of the other forum members took his Tx1000 apart to remove the black paint that was used on the copper cooling fins for the cpu. I believed he claimed a 10C drop in temperature. You can see the fins by looking through the exhaust port. If they are not painted, then you will be able to see the copper clearly.

I haven't heard of any other user trying this nor supporting the 10C drop claim.

8. tjcinnamon

tjcinnamon Scribbler - Standard Member

I just sold my tx1000 because I almost soley wanted for it's handwriting tablet ability.

So your saying that there is an active digitizer?

does touch sensitivity have a throttle (adjustable)?

Can you hover over objects?

Thanks, JOe K.

9. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yes its an active digitizer.

10. tx2000User

tx2000User Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got mine a couple of days ago.
    It did seem a bit bloated at first. I did get 4GB AND Vista Ultimate.

However After turning off all the eye candy in vista (what's the point of vista then, right? :) ) It got pretty snappy.
    I particulary noticed it when I loaded word 2007 vs my old xp machines. (obviously the xp machine was outadated and underpowered) but it did truly snap.
    Took about 3 seconds to load up word.

Also the touch screen is awsome! I don't even have to actually touch the pen to the screen and I get a coursor. if you modify the settings you can use the button on the pen as the mouse button.

The mouse that appears when you use the touch mode (put your finger on it) its actually cool! it aca like a mouse so you can move the coursor around and you use the buttons on the mouse (the translucent picture of it).

It is a bit underpowered on the video hardware. I am hoping that is due to a slow software drivers and not a actual hardware problem

one question.. Has anyone used an HP QuickDock to connect to this machine. I would like to have an docking station for it but I could only get HP support to tell me that the XB3000 docking works not the QuickDock.. And tha tis about $150 dollars difference.. So if anyone had success connecting it to quickdock AND getting an external monitor to work off the quickdock please let me know...
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.