tx2000z - A Big Swing & a MISS!!!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by aboveliquidice, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice Pen Pal - Newbie

How excited can you get about a tablet??? You wouldn't believe my excitement for the HP tablet... but it was not to be. What killed it? I bet you can guess before I even get there...

Underpowered... like last year underpowered... like not even capable of running vista decently underpowered.

Currently - the top-of-the-line tx1000 actually has a faster processor than the tx2000 (which at present can only be configed with a Turion TL-64)

If you were thinking about the update in video... well - that was completely ignored.

I liked the addition of the WACOM - but that is where it all stops.

For those who have not read it - downgrading to Windows XP will bring this slow boat up to speed - but if you are dropping 1300 on a laptop - you should be getting something that can run vista with vigor

Here is the link to that other thread: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=11987

I guess its gonna be the Asus R1E for me - I need the speed - I sure would have liked getting that touchscreen too - oh well

~above~

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. ZippySLC

ZippySLC Pen Pal - Newbie

The only difference in the processor is the availability of the TL-66 (2.3ghz) on the tx1000. The fastest CPU on the tx2000 is the TL-64 (2.2ghz). I hardly think that the extra 100mhz is going to make any sort of difference in Vista.

The R1E looks nice, but I've heard far too many horror stories about Asus "support" to get one.

3. aboveliquidice

I have heard them as well - and they are a bit worrying...

The major issues for the R1E all have solutions - which are workable - and I live in America, which so far has had decent warranty from what I understand.

I just wanted to caution people about the jump to the tx2000z - if you dont mind a slow computer, it wont be an issue.

When I spec'd out the tx2000z to my needs - it came to 17xx.xx. Which is only around 80 dollars less than the r1e - but WAY slower.

~above~

4. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

core2duo and a geforce 7XXX with dedicated mem would have been nice
    also to go wild a 128gb ssd :)

and they should let you disable the bluelight in the keys without hassel

and a key for back and forth in browsers would be good
    or a key that could be programmed

would be nice to be able to change page when reading ebooks and cartoons
    in tablet mode without having to use the pen

5. ZippySLC

Yeah, except that would have jacked the price of the tablet way, way up.

6. jared2

jared2 Scribbler - Standard Member

So why would you get the ASUS over the TOSHIBA M700? I just ordered my M700 and I think it satisfies every need...do you really want that extra 1" of screen?

7. aboveliquidice

Hey Rudegar - the one thing really nice with the tx2000 is that it has both a touchscreen and a wacom - so you can use your finger to pop to the next screen.

Just to clarify - I was a VERY big fan of the tablet - but was disappointed in the feature set choices by HP - such that the tablet no longer fulfills my needs

~above~

8. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think I'd actually be more willing to buy it if it came with Core2Duo/Penryn and sold at a higher price point... I thought Tiffany said they'd be coming out with a C2D version?

9. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For some reason, the specs drive the price up a lot. More so than with the tx1000... I specced practically identical machines and the tx2k comes up at 250 dollars more. Surely the Wacom digitizer (which is really the only truly perceivable substantial update to the tx line) isn't 250 bucks? I hope not for the future of all tabletdom...

The recommended specs start at 2.5 grand. Dell got the ball rolling on this one, on comes the firestorm.

10. ZippySLC

Well, right off the bat, the "recommended specs" include:

Vista Ultimate +$160
    LoJack +$50
    Verizon Air Card +$200
    Norton Internet Security +$60
    MS Office +$150
    3 Year Warranty +$370

So strip all of that stuff out and you're back down to a reasonable price. I got down to $1544.99 by dropping all of that stuff.

The T1k is $250 less because they've been fire saleing them in anticipation of the T2k, plus the digitizer. IMHO, a $250 premium for the newer, active digitizer tablet isn't bad at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.