Tx2000 not booting, is this a chipset failure?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by iofthestorm, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iofthestorm

iofthestorm Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,
    I've got a tx2110us and up till now I'd avoided any problems that other people had with this laptop series. My friend who bought one at the same time I did had his wifi and gpu fail so I promptly started underclocking my cpu and I had no overwhelming heat issues, just slowness, but just today it started refusing to boot, not even POSTing or letting me get to the BIOS. The lights turn on and the screen turns on somewhat, but it doesn't display anything, no HP logo, can't pound F10 to get into the BIOS, nothing. Occasionally it does boot up but it takes many tries. Right now it's booted into safe mode, although usually it doesn't even get far enough for me to make that choice. I did the RAM test in the BIOS and it passed so it doesn't seem to be bad RAM. Now, I did upgrade the hard drive to a 7200rpm Scorpio black a few months ago but I don't think that's the issue, because if it was a problem with the hard drive it would at least get to some sort of boot menu or at least let me get to the BIOS.

Any ideas? Is this really the MCP51/Geforce Go 6150 overheating issue? I've never actually had it overheat and shut down on me so I don't know why it would be the problem, but it's the only thing that makes sense. I also had weird display corruption one time on booting (it got to Windows and made the startup noise but the screen was completely corrupted and I couldn't log in). Corrupted screen picture attached. If it is a chipset issue, I'm just getting a new laptop, screw HP. I'm not going to spend hours and weeks trying to get them to repair my out of warranty laptop when they're probably going to charge $300-500 when I can get a nice new CULV laptop for $750.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

Attached Files:

2. Darkfrost

Darkfrost Pen Pal - Newbie

Eh, I get the same problem sometimes. It'll sound weird, but when it wont boot, try pushing down FAIRLY hard, on the ENTER / Backspace keys. It puts pressure on the gpu or something, I dunno.

Either way, it gets it to boot when mine does it. Only ever happened twice aswell, and it's been working for months after I had to push down, with no reheating.

3. iofthestorm

Hmm, interesting. I see that you've also cleaned up your heatsink a bit. How much work is that, and do you recommend it? I figure if I do that I'll drop temps by a significant amount (I've got a tube of AS5 lying around somewhere) but I'm a bit nervous to take my laptop apart, but if it's not working anyway I guess it can't hurt. To be clear, right now it will occasionally boot, and when it does it works fine for hours and has no problems, but most of the time it doesn't even boot or the screen goes screwy like that attached picture.

4. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

in this pdf you will learn how to open it easily (tx1000, but all tx's have the same case)
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00853874.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctHTF3oNdxI
    follow this tutorial to fix it. (worked on laptops other than tx series too)

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=8875
    then hit it with this modification to keep it cool and protect your investment of time and materials. please don't just read the first page and take off, read through it and gather some info such as replacing the gel pad for the gpu and a few other hints and tricks.

I'm investigating on how to underclock too, and it seems something new has been posted that might work,
    -Tyler

5. iofthestorm

Yeah, I've actually seen that video, read the manual for the tx2000z and took it apart several times (I upgraded the hard drive). I've also read probably most of the threads on this site about the tx1000/2000 issues, including that one. I've had mine underclocked for a while which is why I hadn't seen any issues until recently. I guess I'll probably do all this stuff since I'm luckily on spring break. I just wanted to make sure that this is actually the same issue, since as I've mentioned I've never had overheating problems.

6. Tiezep

so you have it up and working then right?

if not then I answer any questions you may have,
    -Tyler

7. iofthestorm

Oh no, not quite. I mean, once in a while it will boot, but perhaps 19/20 times it just does what that guys laptop does in the first part of the video (black screen/no BIOS). I am going to have to do all these procedures I guess. So how difficult is it to take apart the whole assembly? I'm a bit concerned about ruining the display, but if my laptop is partially ruined anyway, I guess I have not much to lose. Worst case I just have to go to the labs to use a computer for the rest of the semester, which might actually make me more productive ;)

8. iofthestorm

OK, it's dead again, and I think this time it's for good. So Tyler, what should I do? I'm not sure whether the youtube thing actually fixes the problem permanently, does it?

(double posting because it's been a few days since the last response).

Yeah, so I'm thinking of just forgetting about it and throwing together a cheap frankenPC for around $100 if I can manage it. I have a hard drive, RAM, and LCD spare, and depending on how cheap I can get a CPU, motherboard, and case/PSU, it might be easier for me to do that then fiddle around with heat lamps and stuff.

9. Tiezep

I don't think that a new motherboard for that particular model costs much more than $100.

also from what I've been reading that fix works but I guess it's mostly temporary.

but I did that fix on other laptops with bad chipsets and one has been working as my backup/secondary pc since july 2009. (zombie pc)

then again I used a construction grade halogen lamp because my dads a carpenter and that's my only resource.

if you can, try putting it under a halogen (220 watt) lamp for an estimated 2 minutes then pressing down on the chipset (with your hand covered) while it cools down. I usually hold it down for 5 minutes

I've never had a bad result,
    -Tyler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.