TX2000 -- Mouse cursor moves on its own.

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by preckie, May 11, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, my repair instructions were a complete failure...

I spent a few hours today experimenting to see what worked and what doesn't...

Unfortunately ... after a few feet of aluminum, plastic and tape I've discovered that this issue persists even with shielding...

I've torn this thing apart and no matter where I put aluminum shielding, the cursor still went wild...

On the plus side, I've found a way to successfully recreate the haunted cursor scenario

Step 1.
    Open some flash site, something intensive

Step 2.
    Switch the computer from balanced to high performance (power management)
    (Assuming it's close to default settings)

Step 3.
    Mess around on the site until the fan speeds up

Step 4.
    Switch back to balanced

Step 5.
    Tilt the screen to about 70°-80°

Step 6.
    It only takes about a minute or so, and that cursor will start to move :confused:

~sigh~

I guess it's time to contact hp

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. gottspd

gottspd Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there.

New here, but disappointingly, I've only registered to reply that I have the same unbelievably annoying jumping mouse cursor issue with my TX. Ugh. I am trying the tilting screen thing and so far, so good.

BTW, for my TX, it's not the pad because I've turned it off before and have still seen the cursor jump. Ugh... Would love to get this fixed for real.

3. jerryzj

jerryzj Pen Pal - Newbie

I called HP a couple of month ago; successfully reproduced the problem; and made the tech support acknowledge the presence of the problem. I didn't send my laptop back because I need it to take notes. I will do it after the x'mas break.

Here is how to reproduce the problem when you call HP tech support.
    1. Open a chat window with HP tech support;
    2. ask them remotely connect to your computer. They will send you a link and you need to accept some terms and install a small program. You WON'T lose control of your computer, so don't worry. After he/she connects to your computer, both you and HP tech can control your mouse
    3. Now, tell the tech support to position the mouse to the center of your screen and tell him that you will close the lid slowly and the mouse will jump
    4. close the lid slowly and the mouse jumps to the lower right corner when the lid is very close to shut. I guess you can connect to an external monitor and watch the mouse jumping easier. The speed and the precision (always to the same place) is not something a human being can do.

By doing this, the tech support admitted that there is a problem with my tablet and asked me to send it back.

The only thing bothers me about sending back my tablet is that I need to send back the tablet with my harddrive. This means that I have to wipe off all my personal stuff from the drive, which is a pain.

4. timrv6a

timrv6a Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had the same problem with the mouse jumping to the lower right corner of the screen (HP tx2000). Flexing that portion of the screen would sometimes reduce the frequency of the problem, but wouldn't stop it entirely.

I'm now sure the problem is with the pen digitizer. I've permanently stopped the problem by going to Device Manager > Human Interface Devices > then disabled the following drivers: Virtual Touch Driver, Wacom USB ISD (both of them) and Wacom Virtual Hid Driver. This disables both the touch screen and the pen input. No more jumping mouse.

I'll get by without the tablet PC features until I can send the unit back to HP for repair.

5. preckie

preckie Pen Pal - Newbie

how's it going guys? it's been a year and HP still haven't fixed my laptop. they changed the lid but the problem still persists. i don't know why they didn't just admitted that there's a problem and recall the product. they don't even want to fix my laptop for free since it has been a few days since my 1yr warranty expired.

6. soongteck

soongteck Pen Pal - Newbie

hi.
    im having the same problem too.

hp service has replaced the keyboard for me (kinda happy since my previous keyboard is 3% dirty.. LOL and they cleaned my fan area too!), as they said previous case can be solved by keyboard replacement.

however it seems doesn't solve anything. so i demand for LCD/touchscreen replacement and see if it works. they have to order the parts from their factory as they said it is having worldwide insufficient stock issue.

i think you guys can try to get a keyboard replacement first and see if it helps.

7. Teddeee

Teddeee Pen Pal - Newbie

I am experiencing this problem as well. I cut the processor speed, and that solved the problem for a while. I disabled the touch screen, and that solved it permanently. HP customer support is insistent that the problem is not being caused by the fan dragging the cursor down, but by the touchpad. They sent me instructions on downloading updated drivers, but the instructions appear to be wrong. Has anyone else recieved this email from HP?

8. Carl2000

Carl2000 Pen Pal - Newbie

I had this problem too. I sent my TX back and they replaced the whole display. If you are still under warranty I'd get this problem fixed soon.

9. srothroc

srothroc Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got this problem as well, have had it for a while. I figured it was unique to me until I got really fed up and started searching. This is the first non-Latitude laptop I've ever had, and it's the first laptop to ever give me major problems.

Neither cutting processor power (down to 50%) nor twisting the screen a bit helped prevent the cursor from jumping.

I've gotten around the jumping by disabling both of the ISD devices; of course, I have to re-enable them whenever I want to use the tablet, which is the whole point of the tablet PC. It would be nice if someone could hack together some kind of script that we could bind to, say, the DVD button, to turn the tablet on and off.

Of course, HP should get their act together and not send out half-broken laptops like these to begin with.

10. preckie

preckie Pen Pal - Newbie

we bought defective laptops but HP won't replace them. is it our fault that the problem only arises after the 7-day store warranty expires? i already called our local HP service center, HP Philippines, but they won't help me unless i pay them for diagnosis and another payment for whatever sorry-assed excuse of a fix they'll make. i know the problem and the diagnosis is, of course, the same as the old one. i'm really frustrated and don't know what to do.

i even tried emailing the customer service of HP and asking for help but they won't reply to my emails. it's not right.

i found a temporary solution to my problem, if i twist the lid around 90 degrees, the random clicking and moving around of the cursor would stop. but really, how can i type with the lid in that awkward position. it's not a REAL fix.

i think we need to have our laptops changed but i guess that would be dreaming too much.

the only alternative on my part would be wreaking havoc in their service center. grr.