tx2000 heat issue

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dhwung, Mar 7, 2008.

1. cyberbiker

cyberbiker Scribbler - Standard Member

Bob, the fact that you have the 2GB TL-60 processor and 2GB of memory instead of the 2.4Ghz TL-68 may be the difference. Seems those with the TL-68 all have more of a heat problem.

How about those of you with the 2.1Ghz TL-62 and the 2.2Ghz TL-64? Do you tend to have a hot box too?

Do others of you with the 2.0Ghz TL-60 also run and normal temps?

Let's clarify this for new buyers.

2. tukiwa

tukiwa Pen Pal - Newbie

Its simple.. There's a lot of components that heat up in a tiny space. GPU, CPU, HDD, mobo chipsets, etc..(main culprit being the CPU) Also, different folks perceive heat differently(some of us are used to silent=cool laptops) and once the hairdryer fan, on the tx2000, kicks in the perceived heat is multiplied.

UNDERCLOCKing the cpu (@800mhz) will result in drastically less heat. So if the cpu never gets too hot, then the cpu fan will never kick in (I believe ~45*C depending on software). Congrats, you now have a cool and slow machine (I've tried it).

Final word: the tx2000 runs on the hot side more often (all laptops get hot) compared to other laptops. The blowdryer sound of the fan does not help at all if you are in a quiet room.

I am basing this on other laptops I've owned:
    • Two fanless laptops
      1. Fujitsu P2120
      2. XO OLPC
    • One very quiet laptop [so quiet I think its fanless]
      1. Thinkpad R61

All of these laptops became uncomfortably hot on bare lap after extended use (the tx2000 gets there quicker). So.. no matter what, invest in a device that will nest between your lap and the machine and you are set (a pillow will work).

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  3. fao.ronin

fao.ronin Pen Pal - Newbie

So wish I had read the issues with the TL-68 before I ordered mine.. it does run VERY hot compared to other laptops I've used. I have limited the CPU now thogh and that is helping.

Most times it won't matter though and I'll just crank it back up for those times. only these late nights when i'm messing around reading these forums :)

(edit: just created a new power plan and dropped the CPU down to 60%, plenty good enough for browsing the web. quick tip, whatever powerplan you have it set at, set the min power VERY low)

4. cyberbiker

cyberbiker Scribbler - Standard Member

5. Bobarazzi

Bobarazzi Pen Pal - Newbie

O.K. I want to dig up this old thread to take back all the nice things I said about my TX2000... and to admit I was wrong...and to apologize to anyone I talked crap to.

My TX2000 just died a few weeks ago, and after researching a fix, I found out that thousands of these have "died", right after the 1 year warranty, due to a defect with graphics card. Also, HP is being horrible with the customer service as well...HP can now go to hell.

My Bad.