tx2000 heat issue

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dhwung, Mar 7, 2008.

1. cyberbiker

cyberbiker Scribbler - Standard Member

From the comments of others in the thread you seem to have a bigger problem than anyone else. Perhaps it is something faulty within your box.

Might these Turion 64 X2 processor specs shed any light on the heat problem,
    www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_13909_13911,00.html ?

2. KhaOZ

KhaOZ Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think any of the other people here are running everest to check temps while they're doing things. When it's doing nothing, it can get down to about 160f on the gpu and 110 on the cpu. I'm playing The Longest Journey on it right now and it's up to 180-200F with the CPU, and around 215F on the GPU. I don't think it's limited to just my box from what i've heard from others.

3. KhaOZ

I think I have figured out what might be the source of the Heat issues i've been having. I think it's the 2.4ghz CPU. I doubt most of the people posting here are using the 2.4ghz version. The reason I say this is, I went into the power management and turned the CPU performance maximum down to like 70%, and now with the game running, it doesn't get up much higher than 120 with the CPU and 160 with the gpu. Right now, surfing the web, it's sticking to about 108F on the CPU and 156F with the GPU.

My suggestion would be, don't get the 2.4ghz, hehe. I feel bad I wasted the cash, but it's a bit late now.

4. Spartan117

Spartan117 Pen Pal - Newbie

yeh the 2.4Ghz runs hotter i think the it's thermal us about 2 watts higher than that of the 2.0ghz one but by far the hottest is the gpu, so turn off the side bar, animated desktops, aero ect and it will run relativly cool :) i would say it runs on par(temp wise) with my old macbook which had a core 2, 2.16ghz

5. Bobarazzi

Bobarazzi Pen Pal - Newbie

Not mine... you might want to check yours out. I can record bands all night long using tons of vst effects, multiple instruments, dfhs, all demanding programs and it barely breaks a sweat.
    Not trying to brag, just saying maybe some (a certain batch) were defective.

6. cyberbiker

Bob, would you post your laptop specs (processor, memory, etc.) again so we can compare?

What software do some of you use to see temperatures, power draw, etc., on Vista machines? SpeedFan v4.33 worked great on Windows XP boxes, but does not seem to be Vista capable.

7. KhaOZ

It's not that there's a problem, it's that this laptop just auto clocks the ram at slow speeds for some reason. I have 2 sets of ram i've tried. 1 set is the 2gb of ram that came with the laptop, and the other is the OCZ ram you see in my signature. I ran benchmarks with both of them installed and SisoftSandra says BOTH run at PC2-4800 @ 2x300mhz (600mhz). It's not crawling slow or anything. It's not slow at all actually, but it's not as fast as the ram can do.

Run some benchmarks on yours if you think it's running faster. I think this is just a limitation of this laptop though.

8. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Perhaps some overclocking software can fix the ram timing and speed issues? My desktop is an old Athlon 64 X2 which boots up at DDR600 (notice not DDR2) speeds from the bios but can only hit DDR 620 for a maximum stable overclock through RMclock and Ntune.

9. cyberbiker

Can you send the link or number to that thread?

10. dnacid

dnacid Pen Pal - Newbie

I looked at other people's laptop temperatures, and it seems that it is quite normal for the laptops to stay at about 50° Celsius during idle.
    The GPU is a bit worrisome though, staying constantly at about 50 degrees.