tx2000 heat issue

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dhwung, Mar 7, 2008.

1. dhwung

dhwung Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my tx2000 and im not apicky guy but this thing seems REALLY hot. could it be that I only have 1 gb of ram so the comp is running hot? Its actually the top right hand corner with the vents, it is shooting out some HOT air. everything else is warm however when i put the computer on jmy lap it burns my right leg becuase of the vent placement. Does this happen to anyone else?

2. jason12

jason12 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the fastest one (2.4GHz) and it does get warm. Definetly not hot. It does get warmer when I run lets say mpeg encoder. Nothing outstanding though. Same as other laptops.

My guess is that while it is on your lap you cover the air intake vents that makes it hot.

3. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I was getting that too. The solution I found...don't use it without pants.

4. c.e.y.a

c.e.y.a Pen Pal - Newbie

mine does get warm but not hot

5. tukiwa

tukiwa Pen Pal - Newbie

I think HP should go back to the drawing board on this part. If possible put a larger heatsink/fan that way it can cut down on the heat + fan NOISE.

While they are at it, also add an advanced feature in the bios where you can change the settings for when the fan kicks in.

Seems like they crammed a LOT of stuff into a small package.

6. jason12

jason12 Pen Pal - Newbie

TX2000 is not worse/better than an everage laptop from the heat point of view. With XP installed and under light use (web browsing, text editing) the fan is silent and cpu area is just slightly warm.

I wonder if Vista is using CPU a lot causing some users to complain.

7. lol wut

lol wut Pen Pal - Newbie

adjust your power settings, especially maximum and minimum processor speed

8. dhwung

dhwung Pen Pal - Newbie

ah nm on this thread, it turns out the laptop was only hot because it was installing alot of the vista crap.. but the screen is too grainy for me so im returning it... i got it for 780 bucks too... so cheap but i cant stand it. I should have sold it on ebay for like 900 bucks, pocket 100 bucks... owell

9. JohnGuin

JohnGuin Pen Pal - Newbie

10. KhaOZ

KhaOZ Scribbler - Standard Member

It was that bad? This is bad news for someone who just ordered one of these :(

11. Spartan117

Spartan117 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello there, been wondering around the fourms for awhile now and thought id join up :)

Just to shed some light on this heating issue, it's not the CPU thats the issue it's the GPU as there both colled by the same heat pipe they also share heat. kind of a design flaw in my view.

Using Ntune and Everest Ultinmate and running vista no clean install, aero and sidebar off, and running at locked 800Mhz. My temps are:

44C, 45C for core 1 and 2 of the cpu

but the gpu is at 74C thats hotter than my 8800GTS in my workstation 0.o

When running the nTune stability test it rose all the way up to 86C ish and cpu went to 70 ish, now I am in quite a warm room so that will affect it.

There was a tool built into nTune for overclocking but I think it can also be used to underclock the GPU might give me more battery life and less heat :D

12. KhaOZ

Let me know if you have any success with the underclocking.

13. Jwile20vt

Jwile20vt Pen Pal - Newbie

I dont think its that bad

14. Ixidor

Ixidor Scribbler - Standard Member

Keep in mind people the heating issue will vary based on the room temperature (if it's hot already, it'll get pretty bad. If it's freezing, however, it will only get lukewarm, not even, with minimal fan)

15. Spartan117

Spartan117 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok after some fiddling around i realised that the GPU actaully smartly clocks it self down to 99Mhz when it is not being used such as ideling, but the temp still hangs around 71C ! not the best ....

well heres a screenshot from NVIDIA monitorview:

[​IMG]

Now i dont know if it automatically clocks or if you have to install Ntune first.

16. Bobarazzi

Bobarazzi Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine doesn't get hot. Ever.
    Unless I wrap it in a blanket and shove it in the oven.

17. KhaOZ

Yeah, i'm going to return mine. It's running at 162 degrees while nothing is running on it, it's plugged in, and the only thing that might be making it work, is the DreamScape wallpaper. If the next one I get is this hot from doing almost nothing, I may just get refunded. These things shouldn't be this hot.

18. fao.ronin

fao.ronin Pen Pal - Newbie

those dreamscape walls will defiantly cause some heat issues... it does for my desktop computer anyway, though at least with that we can use some real cooling to compensate..

19. cyberbiker

cyberbiker Scribbler - Standard Member

Would 800Mhz DDR2 RAM run hotter than the 667hz DDR2 cards that come with the tx2000z?

I just ordered a tx2000z two hours ago and am crossing my fingers to avoid the heat issue. I picked it up with 1GB of RAM as Newegg sells Transcend 667Mhz 2GB cards for $35 and Kingston's are $66. Definitely want the speed that will stay coolest for a given load though.:cool:

20. KhaOZ

It doesn't even run the ram at those speeds. it runs it really slow for some reason.

I'm thinking people should avoid this tablet all together. Just starting and playing some videos on here brings the CPU temp up to 200F.