Tx2 shuts itself off during gaming.

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TX2 (N-trig)' started by Let'sLennus, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Let'sLennus

Let'sLennus Pen Pal - Newbie

My tx2-1015ea turns off instantly when I'm about 1 minute into a game (like morrowind or oblivion, have not tried any less demanding game).
    This started since I disassembled the laptop for cleaning. I replaced the stock thermal compound on the cpu with Arctic Silver 5, I also replaced the stock thermal pad on the gpu with AS5, I did not change the stock thermal pad on the capacitors/inductors/?? (sorry, don't know which) next to the fan/heatsink.

Any suggestions as to what could really be causing it ?

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It is shutting off because one of the primary components (CPU/ GPU) are reaching their thermal limits. maybe you put too much thermal paste on? (you are only really supposed to use enough paste to cover the chip with a very light coating) another problem may be that where there once was a thermal pad, is now a small gap/ loose heatsink (thermal paste it much thinner than a thermal pad, and if the heatsink is no longer pressuring the chip, then it isn't transferring all the heat. are all the heatsinks -once you tightened them down- completely rock solid, so they won't budge at all no matter how you wiggle it?)

3. Let'sLennus

Let'sLennus Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok I just ordered some thermal pads and a copper shim to replace the AS5, it should solve the issue.