TX2- Owners: HP Media Good?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TX2 (N-trig)' started by Mevlock, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speed

Speed Programmer + Tablet Lover

Hi Guys,

Its been a while since I've been on here!
    I purchased a custom built TX1000 series about 2 years ago, and have been very happy with it. Unfortunately, the technical world has progressed in that time, and we're now on much better machines, so I've decided to upgrade. (This is obviously not related to the fact that my TX1000 series has a cracked screen....!)

I managed to pickup a new multitouch TX2 series at the local Currys (I'm in the UK) for £599 - a fantastic price as RRP is £799 (it was an ex demo, but I inspected it and it was in brilliant condition). Unfortuantely, I can't play with it at the moment because my TX1000 series is off for repair and they may replace it with a brand new TX2xxx or TX2- series, and the store say I can take my new one back if I don't unseal it. (I have a buyer in line for my TX1000 series should they repair instead of replace it)

I was wondering what you guys thought of the HP MediaSmart program on the TX2-, whether you used it or thought it a fancy gimmik?
    I'm considering putting Win7 on there straight away; anyone managed to install the Media program again or got any Win7 thoughts not covered in other threads?

To those looking to get an equally good deal;
    the way HP work in the UK is that each model is out for about 3 weeks, and they discontinue it, issue a new model with slightly different spec (+/- 0.1GHz processor, +/- 1GB RAM) and a new model number and advertise it as "NEW". Stores then need to get rid of their display models as its no longer the same spec.

And just to comment on my insurance, well worth it. Paid £99 at the time of purchase for 3 years Collect & Return including Accidental Damage and Theft (and for students it covers you in halls), and the service has been excellent - the peeps are CompuCover. The prices have gone up a bit now, but I'll do it again (and by getting under £600 the insurance is cheaper). Make sure you keep your original invoice though as they want proof of purchase if you claim.

Anyway, thanks for answering the questions guys!

2. Mevlock

Mevlock Pen Pal - Newbie

Normally I wouldn't dream of buying... well anything at Curry's. But I too succumbed and bought a tx2 last week. At the (hopefully) bargain price of £599 as well. Mine was the last one they had boxed, although there was one left on display too. Didn't buy any of the extras..."No I don't want Norton Internet Security". "No thanks no extended warranty either". "Nope not interested in the insurance." "And yes you can forget about the cut price MS Office too". Sales guy was rather crestfallen but I promised to take the leaflets and look at them at home lol.

My exact model is a tx2-1010ea. Personally I just went ahead and installed Windows 7 and forgot about any of the extra Hp software (just seems like gimmicky bloatware).

Have to say I hate the sound of the fan, wasn't expecting such a loud one (and yes It's running the quietest I can get it to be - done all the mods, under-volted the cpu, minimum desktop settings etc.) But it'll do a year or two until I get get a silent tablet.

3. Speed

Speed Programmer + Tablet Lover

Yes; I'd agree that Currys isn't my normal shopping place, but with laptops its more about the manufacturer than who's reselling, so I was more than happy with my bargain price. Well done on the non-ex-display ;-)

My guy got to know me (and that I knew more about his product than him), and decided not to offer me Norton and Office, but he did offer me insurance. He was not surprised when I told him it was cheaper online; and when I said that if there was a machine without Norton I'd pay more for it he was rather keen to keep me quiet in front of his other customers =D

I played a little with the HP-ware and it looked pretty good for the touch functions of the machine; but not being able to use for a protracted time I'm not sure if I'd use it and wanted feedback.

You get any Win 7 compatibility issues or stuff not working?

4. Mevlock

Mevlock Pen Pal - Newbie

Win7 is running like a dream actually. Had to hunt down some of the software on HP's support site, but most of the 64bit Vista drivers and software installed fine.

No problems at all really and it's running faster than the stock Vista install. I wasn't expecting to like win7 so much but it's on my list of software to buy now once it hits retail.

Didn't really take the time to look at the MediaSmart software to be honest as I was just looking to uninstall anything I could at first. As Vista was running sooooo slow with all the bloatware (Norton etc).

So if anyone else could chime in on it's usefulness that would be great. I'll also see if the Vista version will install on Win7 ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.