TX2 3 different screens!? Whats up with this tablet HP???

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TX2 (N-trig)' started by aquastealth, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

This is the problem on having companies like HP build products overseas. It reduces costs, but the quality control goes to hell.

2. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

Overseas' quality control isn't the problem, if it was made [Insert your local region here] it would still be just as bad, the sad fact is its cheaper to produce a substandard product and warrenty it later, rather than getting every machine perfect.

Additionally HP will have a minimum standard, so if they have X amount of stock screens as long as they meet HPs standards its fine by them, you cant exactly blame the factory for what HP dictates is ok.

3. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Does this mean we should wait for while before we buy?? So the leftover inventories were used up?

4. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Pen Pal - Newbie

It means you need to inspect the unit before you buy it. From what I have seen Point of Purchase (Office Depot, Staples, CompUSA, etc) stores have the good screens.

5. technocrateus

technocrateus Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder if there is a difference between the premade models vs the customized models. Almost all store models that I've seen has a beautiful glossy screen. I notice the packaging was alittle different. Also just saw that HP.com had a premade model (though out of stock). I would be curious to see if those also has the glossy screen.

FYI, I had the same problem with HP.com custom-made order, ended up buying one from B&H.com, saved over $100 (plus no tax) compare to HP custom to order, and got a gorgeous glossy screen. BTW, I called B&H before ordering and they were willing to guarantee free return if I had a dead pixel or non-glossy screen.

6. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, not necessarily. They are all built at the same factory and there wont be any differentiation between a store sold model or CTO one from HP.com. Essentially, it looks like either HP uses several suppliers to supply the LCD(or just one who doesnt have good QC) and thats a reason people are seeing variation in the screens. My hunch is that as long as it meets a certain baseline(what ever it might be), the LCD's get sent by the LCD company to HP to be installed in the tx2z...so it doesnt matter if a laptop on display has a particular screen but the one in the box might be different. Ofcourse, buying in store means you can look at it and decide instantly.

But, this is a common issue with these manufacturers since they dont manufacture the LCD's in the first place. Dell, for example had similar issues with their screen a year or so ago where people who got Samsung LCD;s complained about freckling on the screen while the others had one from a different manufacturer which were perfect.

7. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

IMO is does seem very odd that there appears 3 different screens available and at such an early point in the product's life.

It's been known in the past for LCD screens to vary in a set model over time, presumably as they switch screen type/supplier due to stock etc, but for 3 different screens available at the same time on a 'new' model, it doesn't bode well for HP's reputation!

8. nknikrad

nknikrad Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone,

I got my customized tx2z on February, 12, 2009 and have the same problem. The part number is FR239AV and the display on it is the anti-glare type and it's horribly grainy/speckling. I had a tx2500z before (which was very glossy but not this much grainy) and I expected the tx2 display to be more improved. I admit that the feel of writing on the tx2 anti-glare screen is better and being anti-glare is a very positive point, but the too much grainy layer is disappointing enough to give up on other advantages. I mean I could see a speckle pattern on poor Angelina Jolie's face through this display! Unfortunately, I also noticed that the touch response on my tx2500 was better than this tx2.

I also confirm that HP puts two types of displays on tx2 series. At least it's becoming more clear from the reviews and comments that they put a different display (anti-glare) on the customized tx2 laptops which is newer. I checked the similar premade tx2 models in Best Buy (tx2-1025dx) and Office Depot (tx2-1020us) and the display on these two were the glossy and reflective type which was different from mine. I saw no graininess/speckling on glossy displays in stores but they have also too much reflection. I really don't know what to do! Not the glossy reflective display nor the grainy anti-glare one is good. But I saw most people prefer too much reflection to too much graininess. What good choices! Thanks HP!

I hope I can make the changes I want with HP.com because if I want to return the laptop and get another one from Office Depot I can't use my credit account with HSBC/HP Store and also I'll lose the discounts I got with my $500 coupon and...

I have an exam coming up this week, but next week I'll go through these calls and challenges you all have been through and will let you know about the results.

Now other issues...

I saw in some comments people were complaining about other problems with this model. I had a tx2500z before and after I got the tx2z, this made clear to me that some issues are common in these series and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it. Let me list some of these issues that I had on BOTH of these laptops:

- Overheat and lots of fan noise from the right side (back) heat sink and fan while the laptop is connected to power. I found no way to make this better.
    - Keyboard dies sometimes and you have to reset and take the battery out to get it back to work.
    - Sometimes when you close the lid and open it again quickly, the touchscreen dies and you have to reset the computer.
    - You don't expect the computer to be this much slow (I have 4GB RAM and a 2.4 CPU). The main reason is the crapwares that HP installed on the computer. If you uninstall them and do a little clean up operations it'll be better. Although Windows Vista is a mess itself, but if I had more money I would get a retail version of Windows disk and install a fresh copy of Windows.
    - The WiFi link is slow comparing to other laptops or even my cellphone that has WiFi!!! The WiFi cards on these series seems to have very weak signal. I have an HP tx series stand that you must put the laptop in tablet mode on it. Closing the lid from one side and putting the back on the stand from the other side kind of covers around the WiFi transceiver (which is almost in the middle of the body) completely and the signal loses its strength and my internet speed will be something near dialup! And the link sometimes dies completely and you have to disable/enable the connection. Sometimes I prefer connecting the laptop with a cable to my router for downloads. Sillllllllllly!
    - The sound problem! When the process of the system goes up, the sound becomes distorted! It happens when you want to get a higher process from the system by multitasking or in games. I updated the drivers several times and talked to technical support for hours but couldn't find a way to get rid of this. But it's a little better on tx2 but the problem still exists.
    - When the CD-ROM is working at its highest speed it vibrates too much and sometimes it makes an unusual noise like the CD is scratching.
    - The seam between the upper and lower side of the body near the power button, becomes loose in a few weeks of use.

And I had this issue only with my tx2 and also it was the same on the ones I saw in Best Buy and Office depot. The display frame does not stand straight. The display frame should make a parallel line with the rest of the body when the lid is open but it doesn't. The hinge is not well-adjusted. It also causes the the lid to be lose in its place when it's closed.

As you can see, almost all these issues are because of poor quality. The design is good looking and the capabilities it has are great. But the build quality is very poor even for this price. HP could have done a better job. Specially in quality control.

Also half of the codes and information on my Windows License on the back of both of my laptops were disappeared in less that 2 weeks. So strange!

The reason that I still like this notebook and I'm trying my best not to return it is that there is no other tablet pc with a better price and better design out there. I could get a Toshiba Protege tablet pc or an IBM ThinkPad with a little more money but they have very boring designs and their not as complete as HP tx tablet. Without issues, these HP tx series could be a very good and useful entertainment pc specially for students. But for an student it's really better to shop from a local store. Because it's easier to deal with them if there is any issue. HP.com also has a good customer service but their quality control is the worst ever. So, buying from their remote location... it's just too much time and energy to spend getting one that work with no problem.

9. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Pen Pal - Newbie

Get the TX2-1020US glossy model locally and use a Photodon anti-glare protector, works great! No more reflectiveness and half the graininess.

10. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

People should look under device manager->Monitor->Generic PnP Monitor->Details tab->In the property drop down box select hardware ID's and check on the make and model of the LCD. Typically, you should see an entry similar to this one(ex. from my tx2500): MONITOR\SEC4841. SEC = Samsung and 4841 is the model number. This should give an idea whether HP is using different suppliers for the LCD or not and which ones to avoid.