TX1220US possible problem?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Wongway, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wongway

Wongway Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, just wondering if anyone else might have come across this...

But I noticed one day that the wired LAN port doesn't work. I'm not exactly sure when it started to not work, since I only used it a couple of weeks ago.

Every other port works. Wireless access works fine, all the USB ports work, VGA output works, etc.

I've gone and tried to uninstall the nVidia networking adapter, I've tried to update/change drivers, and still no response from the networking adapter.

Vista apparently sees the adapter just fine and reports it as working fine, however, no matter what ethernet cords I've plugged into it, I've yet to have seen a response. Lights on the ethernet port don't light up either, so I'm really confused.

Yes, I've tried plugging it into several different routers and connections and still nothing. Tried doing everything in Safemode as well.

Anyone else have suggestions? Or should I get in contact with HP about getting a new motherboard for this?

2. CTSxViper

CTSxViper Pen Pal - Newbie

I will check mine tonight. I wouldn't put it past HP though.. :(

3. CRE

CRE Pen Pal - Newbie

I switch back and forth between LAN and Wi-Fi without issue. I believe I'm running with everything (including BIOS) up to date.

Have you made sure you don't have a bent pin in the jack?

4. Wongway

Wongway Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep, checked the pins too. I think I was literally as thorough as I could possibly be.

Heck, I even tried Ubuntu, just to see, but I think my version of Ubuntu wasn't the right version or something. Laptop always seemed to freeze part of the way loading it up.

So outside of that, I tried everything I could do, even inspecting the thing physically.

My only other option I wonder is if I need to get in contact with HP for another motherboard. If thats the case, it shouldn't be too difficult (I hope) to tear it apart. I'm at least able to get access to HP's parts within a day or two if need be. I'd just like it to be the last resort.

Anyone else happen to have any other ideas or directions I might have missed?

5. CRE

CRE Pen Pal - Newbie

The only other thing I copuld think to try would be removing the manel under the laptop that gives you access to the card. Pull the card and reinsert it making sure it is firmly seated.

6. Wongway

Wongway Pen Pal - Newbie

hahahaha, I really hope its that simple.

I didn't actually think it was a card that I would be able to manipulate. I figured it'd be something thats a soldered part of the motherboard. But I'll go check now!

Edit:
    Okay, its not that simple.

Taking the thing apart (Just the easy to do stuff, hard drive, ram, wifi card, etc.) Any access to the LAN port is blocked entirely by the connector for the harddrive. So I'd have to literally tear the entire laptop apart, just to inspect the LAN connector. The other thing I did notice (with a flashlight) is that from what I could see behind the hard drive connector, all the wires are connected just fine from the LAN port back to the motherboard.

So, back to the drawing board on that one.

Anyone else have any other suggestions for me to try?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.