tx1120us Pen Calibration

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by rickybee2000, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickybee2000

rickybee2000 Sys***** & Geek

Hopefully someone here can help me. I have had this tablet for about 6 months and have never been able to use the pen properly in all this time. I used to have a tc1000 which worked much better.

Anyway, the problem is that however many times I try calibrating the pen to the screen I cannot get it to be accurate. For example, in primary landscape mode after calibration, the cursor appears accurately under the pen at the far left or right of the screen but the nearer the middle the worse it gets. In the middle the cursor appears about 1/8" to the right of the pen.
    In primary portrait mode it is accurate at the top and bottom but appears about 1/8" below the pen in the middle.
    The other axis in both examples above is about right.

Seems like it needs a couple more calibration points nearer the middle of the screen. I have tried calibrating in all 4 modes and have the latest video drivers installed.

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone has as this problem makes drawing anything on the screen really frustrating. :(

2. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

check for other upgrades then video the graphiccard driver have nothing to do with the touchscreen

3. mijayd

mijayd Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the tx1127cl from Sams Club that has a similar problem, the left 3rd of the screen its shows up about an 1/8 inch to the left of where you tap, in the center 3rd its only half a hair off where you tap and on the right 3rd its about an 1/8 inch to the right of where you tap.
    What I've tried is to tap to the left or right of the crosshairs when calibrating to try and fudge it. Sometimes it works. I think I'll contact support to see about a new screen because when it wont calibrate it gets really annoying because I also have a tx1320us thats always been spot on calibrated so I know it can be done.

4. rickybee2000

Reading some of the other posts on screen calibration I found this and wonder if it has something to do with the problem:

There is something called the "factory calibration" of the touch panel that End-users cannot perform using their Vista calibration tool. This calibration data is stored in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TabletPC\LinearityData in the form of a binary blob. (this key location is applicable to all Vista Tablet PCs.)
    This data is lost upon fresh installation of the OS. And as of now, there is no tool to do the factory calibration.

If this factory calibration wasn't done correctly then this may cause the problem? I have exported this key so I have it safe, maybe it would be interesting to try one from a different tx1120us? Has anyone decoded what this blob does exactly and if there is a way for the end-user to recalibrate?

5. Speed

Speed Programmer + Tablet Lover

I've got the same problem as rickybee2000. This problem didn't exist to begin with, so it won't be factory calibration related.

A lot of other remote and tablet problems have had a BIOS reset suggested to them by HP support. Haven't tried it, but maybe? Can't do any harm!

I'll be following this thread closely!

6. NNG

NNG Pen Pal - Newbie

I did a fresh install of Windows right after getting the computer and I to have the same problem.

It will be interesting to see someone come up with a solution.

7. Speed

The BIOS reset didn't work, I'm afraid!

Am contacting HP Support via. Online Chat in the hope they will be able to resolve the issue.

8. Speed

After an hour and a half with an HP Support Technician who told me to uninstall all my HIDs, then reboot, then let it reinstall them, then uninstall them all *again*, then reboot, then let it reinstall them *again*, then upgrade my video driver, the problem remains.

She suggests I contact HP Local Support... 0870 010 4320 because I am in warranty - 6pence per minute !

9. rickybee2000

Thanks for your input on this Speed, at least it will save the rest of us going through all that if it doesn't improve things.

The only other option I can see right now, unless you are going to try that local support number, is if we can get some more insight into this 'factory calibration' thing. I have some ideas if the binary blob turns out to be screen coordinates. Maybe we could put up a graphic on the screen of a grid, test several points and note the offset then go and tweak a number or two in that blob. Then rerun the test and see what has changed. What does everyone else think?

Richard

10. Speed

I'm still greatly inclined that this isn't Factory Calibration, as if it was the case, the calibration would have been incorrect from Day 1, whereas this is something which has subsequently developed (for me at least).

I'm not likely to call HP local support soon, as its not annoying me too much, and I'm fed up of contacting people to be told to speak to someone else etc. All they will want to do is take the thing in for a service, and I need my tablet a lot more desperately.

But, I am out of ideas...
    See if you can speak to someone in technical at HP? (Being a UK user, I can't get much further than basic support from US people, and UK just resells)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.