TX1001AU questions

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by thebranded, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Fishbowl

Fishbowl TX1001AU Owner

Hi guys and gals,

I'm currently having a few issues with my TX1001AU. I've been chatting to HP Support since February regarding my Broadcom wireless, which isn't detecting, but they've been about as helpful as having herpes in that department. I've lost so much faith in the brand due to their lack of clear and unambiguous responses.

Anyway, enough whining. My TX1001AU recently displayed a:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

bluescreen, and hasn't come on since. Essentially, I need to re-install Windows Vista, but would like to recover my data beforehand. I've spoken to thebranded on these forums, and he is sending me a copy of the recovery disks (thanks again bud) due to me being in the UK for 2 years and not being able to find my recovery disks, so should be able to do that. If not, will have to find a copy of Windows Vista Home Premium, which would like help on if anyone is willing.

But the main point of this post is to ask about the HDD. If I wanted to upgrade the 120GB SATA HDD, what would the largest size be? The sweet spot, pricewise, seems to be the 320GB drives. However, I'm not 100% sure that the motherboard will recognise that. According to the ever helpful HP Support, I can run a 160GB HDD, but I know that another user on these forums is using a 250GB. Would anyone be able to help me out in this regard?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

I've run a 250GB in a TX001au with no problems. I don't think you'll have issues with a 320GB.

If you get an enclosure (2.5" sata) you should be able to get some of your data back from the old drive. Unless there's a physical problem with the drive itself. You should make sure you use the same login credentials on the new drive to access any area of the old drive protected by security.

Gordon

3. dwolf123

dwolf123 Pen Pal - Newbie

they already have a 400GB HDD for sale Here , sometimes HP gives out the wrong info depending on what level of customer service you were on

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. thebranded

thebranded Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, when i first saw the post i thought i recognised that avator but the nic was different!

anyway, have you tried swaping ram modules? maybe running with one stick?

You could also download a Linux live cd, usually they have memtest included and you can test your ram, run for at least an hour.

As for hdd size, i dont think you are restricted to any one size, any SATA 2.5" drive should work