TX1000/TX2000 programable tablet buttons?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by eko2, Feb 12, 2008.

1. 4tonMantis

4tonMantis Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I'm on 32bit vista, so I guess that explains the issue. It just seems like such a simple problem, yet I spent the better part of yesterday doing research and experimenting with different programs (autohotkey, sharpkeys, keytweak) and registry hacks, but I can't seem to get those buttons to do anything except launch quickplay. I don't understand how the PC can only be aware of the button press if Quickplay is installed. I would imagine it's a driver thing, like the buttons are treated as separate hardware that needs a driver which gets uninstalled with Quickplay? I wonder if it's possible to keep the driver and get rid of the app...
    One more day wasted? This would be so useful, though.

2. 4tonMantis

Sharpkeys returns scancodes for most of the Fn+Fkey combos, but for some reason returns the same (presumably invalid) scancode for the brightness controls:
    Brightness down E0_3F00
    Brightness up E0_3F00

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know nothing about this stuff, but just taking a swing at it here:

Is it possible that the code is for only a single key, and due to the fact that Fn+Fkey is a combination of two keys, you also need the key for the corresponding Fkey?

4. adriandd

adriandd Pen Pal - Newbie

>>depends on holding the key for a certain amount of time, forget it, the >>hardware doesnt register wether the button is still pressed.

Thanks for that info, this just took the TX2000 off my potential tablet list.

I'm looking for programmable side buttons that can be used as modifiers such as SHIFT and CTRL. (specifically, for use with Adobe Illustrator tools)

So far the t4220 seems the only option!

5. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

There's always sticky keys from Orange Guava. It's a program that puts a virtual key(s) on your screen. Should work with any tablet.

Gordon

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Tried you this?
    Customizing Buttons on screen
    Works in XP, too. So I was able (on my Fujitsu) to assign not only 2 and a half buttons but 4 buttons. So I had not only 5 combinations, in the end I had 7 combinations available, and everything with Windows standard software.

7. 4tonMantis

I guess Frank is referring to this method:

"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TabletPC\TabletButtons

There are several subkeys under this key that have digits for names. I have 0-20. As you look through these keys, you will see a value on many of them called "NoUI" which is set to 1. These are the "locked" buttons. The ones that have NoUI=0 or the value is missing completely are free to be modified.

Simply set NoUI = 0 on every button then re-open the Tablet PC control panel applet and go to the hardware buttons and voila... you can now remap every single button."

Unfortunately, this entry does not seem to exist on my tx2000z. It's possible that when I uninstalled Quickplay it removed all of this, but i doubt it. Can anyone else with a tx2000 confirm whether this works or not? One thing I noticed is that there is a Control Panel option under Tablet PC Setting called "Set tablet buttons to perform certain tasks", but clicking it brings up an error message saying "Tablet buttons are not installed on this computer". I'm thinking HP removed this because of a possible security issue with Quickplay, but this is all conjecture on my part. HP tech support has been completely useless in shedding any light on this. Anyone out there with info or suggestions, your help would be much appreciated.

8. alexinc

alexinc Pen Pal - Newbie

how it comes i dont have quick launch buttons in control panel, even its installed and can be found under c:\program files\hewlett packard\quick launch buttons...??? never had the possibility to change button-configuration on my tx1410us using vista home premium. :(
    in devicemanager quick launch buttons are installed correctly...
    any hints? thx!

9. NRG

NRG Pen Pal - Newbie

Could you post your script here?

10. wctkdman

wctkdman Pen Pal - Newbie