TX1000/TX2000 programable tablet buttons?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by eko2, Feb 12, 2008.

1. eko2

eko2 Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, so I cant find any info on it but I was wondering if any of the buttons on the TX1000 or 2000 are programable. I heard something like two of em are but I dunno. If not, are there any applications that can make them programable? what about those media buttons on the side of the screen?

If you dont know what I mean by programmable... in other words I am never going to use the "QuickPlay" button can I assign a key combo or some other function to it?

there has to be an app out there that can re-interpret the signals sent by these buttons into a function I would actually find useful. to me, media buttons are useless otherwise.

2. eko2

Don't everyone speak at once now... haha jk, but really, if anyone does have a solution please share. I am sure that if you know what device is sending the signal, probably a usb one? you could monitor and interpret them with some random program out there.

3. Eddysign

Eddysign Pen Pal - Newbie

Well i have tried to remap those buttons with mixed succes.
    First you have to disable quickplay of course.
    I have used AutoHotKey to remap the DVD and Quickplay buttons.
    I was not able to find a keycode for the other two buttons nor the FN button (autohotkey can monitor the buttons you press and give the keycodes).
    The code for the DVD button is sc10E the code for the quickplay button is sc108.
    To remap those buttons you have to write a script in autohotkey.
    This is an example:
    sc10E::Volume_Up
    sc108::Volume_Down
    So now you change the volume with these buttons.

The mediabuttons are realy easy to remap because they are standard buttons in windows.
    The strange thing is that the dvd and quickplay buttons only work when not in tablet mode, as soon as you close the lid they stop working :(

I would like to find a way to raise and lower screen brightness with these buttons but autohotkey didnt find the keycodes for the FN+Fkeys.
    i searched in the autohotkey forums and find out that the FN key is a lowlevel hardware key, imposible to catch.
    But i will keep searching for a solution.

4. eko2

WOW, thats exactly what I was looking for THANK you! Autohotkey... I've used it on a limited basis for some basic task automation, but wow, didn't know that it could capture input data. From the looks of it you joined the forum just to answer me... Thanks again, much appreciated.

now what I need to find is sort of a tablet onscreen buttons widget or something so while I am pressing this button it brings up a sort of circular menu of different options (copy, paste, screen brightness... all my useful functions.)

What about an easy access button to disable passive digitizing... that would be awesome!

like this...
    [​IMG]

5. Eddysign

Your welcome.

That pop-up menu is perfectly possible with autohotkey.
    I was working on that sort of thing myself.
    SplashImage is a good command to display an image like this.
    And together with MouseGetPos you can get it working.
    I am not a good coder myself but autohotkey is not too dificult to do amazing things.

6. eko2

The same goes for me. I did quite a bit of flash actionscripting back in the day so I know my way around code and can catch on to simple languages with relative ease. I like where your going with this. Just wondering about the amount of sys. resources this uses... I'm sure a program built to do all this stuff in C++ would be much more effective. No worries though as I will be UPgrading to XP for the performance benefits. (I never needed vista and its limited indexed searching anyway... haha)

keep me posted on your progress. Unfortunately I dont have my tablet yet to test it out.

7. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like where this thread is going... any further info will be greatly appreciated as I agree, an instant on/off switch for the passive digitizer would be great. A slide in menu of media players for the quickplay button and the ability to turn on and off (enable/disable the hardware perhaps) the DVD drive to save power for the DVD button would be fantastic (although I don't think it is hot swappable, so disabling the hardware profile may not actually cut any power seeping to it).

8. eko2

well, I think its definitely doable, just don't think that would save you too much power... dunno but I guess there is an easy way to test it. I don't have mine yet, so someone please try it.

here's how, right click on my computer > click properties then click the hardware tab at the top and then click device manager. once you are in device manager look for cd/dvd and click the plus sign by it. then right click on the drive listed there and click dissable... run your lappy for a few hours and see how your battery life does. ANy better?

9. eko2

Eddysign brought up some good points in a chat...

"wait, i just looked at the penoptions and you can map the [side] button to a pop-up menu!"

for creating menus in auto hotkey he mentioned about autohot key there is a program that helps you in creating menus :SmartGUI Creator 4.0

Im thinking about this round menu, it could be diff depending on your application. It can even send keystrokes to windows that are not the active window. I would want a dif context menu [depending on the active window ]in photoshop, like zoom and other things

anyway, we are going to start working on this, if anyone has input or their own solution, or even oes this before we accomplish it, by all means post it please, the more info, the faster we can develop this idea...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. Eddysign

You can map the side button of the pen to a pop-up menu if you have the new drivers from the Wacom site (look for penabled drivers).
    At least i have never seen that option before i installed that driver.
    You can launch programs or send keystrokes with the menu.
    And set textsize and font.
    It can be realy handy but the disadvantace is that the menu is the same for al programs.

Autohotkey wil still be the best option but takes some more time :)