tx1000 touch screen not working in Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by imajamoke, Oct 4, 2007.

1. arian

arian Pen Pal - Newbie

no one can help?

2. kapblp

kapblp Scribbler - Standard Member

Not sure what you need help with. Read your previous post and not sure what you were asking?

3. arian

arian Pen Pal - Newbie

Pretty clear:

- original touch screen driver and installing method
    - Touch screen writing tool.

That is: I want the factory's touch screen writing capabilities without reinstalling all the fu***** stuff that comes in the original Vista installation.

4. Franko

Franko Pen Pal - Newbie

A SOLUTION TO YOUR TOUCHSCREEN WOES!

I joined the forum only to post my solution to the touchscreen issue.

I bought a tx 1000 last night that was dead as a doornail for 100 bucks. After baking the motherboard in the oven (yes thats right 100c for five to ten minutes) and reinstalling.. it turns on now (as opposed to the lights coming on but not seeing anything)

I noticed the touchscreen wasent working either.. I went through all kinds of forums trying to fix it but it seems it is a hardware issue. So I pulled the screen apart to see what I could find. once you get it apart and lift the actual lcd out by removing the 4 screws in each corner you will notice a ciruct board connected to the screen, the camera and the fingerprint scanner. Its screwed to the casing with two screws. You cant miss it. There is a 4 wire ribbon cable going behind the left of the screen into this module. You can plainly see it is for the touch screen. The ribbon cable is firmly taped to the plastic case and then plugged into the module but what did I find? The cable for the touchscreen is not plugged in! My guess is the tape holding it down is so tight that any external pressure on the lid (moving it, cat laying on it etc) can pull this small harness out causing it not to function. I plugged it in and it works PERFECTLY! As I speak my girlfriend is playing inkball on it.

So there you have it. I can almost guarantee that this will fix your touchscreen problems. Next on my agenda is fixing the wireless, I might have to get more creative with that one.

Here is a link showing you how to disassemble the screen and take your motherboard out incase you want to bake it. Take the processor out if you do.
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00853874.pdf
    Go to page 56 to see how your screen comes apart.. It can be tricky.

Good luck, and I hope this helps you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I'm assuming Franko is joking in this first few lines. I Honestly doubt though that for most user the issue w/ the screen not working in Vista Ultimate is due to the cable being connected.

But something one can try if you are comfortable opening up the machine like that, to see if that is in fact the cause of it not working.

Obviously if the cable is disconnected, it wouldn't work in any OS.

6. Franko

Franko Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually I am not joking.

This is the classic red ring of death xbox fix. I fixed my xbox with this method and over a year later its still going strong. Stuff like this is usually caused by a cold soldier join in the board somewhere. Heating it up usually is enough to fix this. I usually use a heat gun but I didnt have one with me last night. I took the laptop apart and I put the motherboard in the oven. I set the oven to about 100 degrees celsius, I monitored the temp of the board with a infared temp reader and it was hovering around 100 celsius. Left it in there for a few minutes then took it out and let it cool. Once it had cooled down enough I put it all back together and presto.. it worked!

The laptop was dead so what was the harm in trying? It works with xboxes. Worst case scenario I have to buy another motherboard off ebay.

I bet that this will be the fix for alot of people with the touch screen issue.

I hope someone else trys it so I can see if Im right.

7. kanehi

kanehi Scribbler - Standard Member

100 degrees Celsius? That's 212 degrees Fahrenheit! That's more than a CPU can handle running under full load and solders can melt under that temp. Now that's what I call a hot motherboard! My tx1000z is still going strong and it's running Vista Ultimate. I only use HP's drivers from their site.

8. Franko

Franko Pen Pal - Newbie

Well its a bit different with the poor cpu making those kind of temps and thats why I took it out and set it aside.
    The whole goal is to melt the soldier, just a little bit. Enough to remelt every soldier joint in the board and the cold soldier joint as well.

Im not telling people to do this but if your laptop is bricked whats the harm in trying?

9. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's still difficult to believe that this worked.
    It's ok to put a PCB board in an oven, and at 100°C nothing should happen. But that's also the problem, because they use lead-free solder which has normally a melting point of 200 °C. So they also have to reach temperatures of up to 200°C in their reflow oven to solder the components. That means at 100°C you don't melt anything.

It's possible that some spots reached above 200°C in your normal oven too which solved a cold solder joint, still I wouldn't recommend it, especially because it can damage some parts if they exceed a specific temperature for a longer time, and because you used a normal oven, it's possible that this happens and it's also possible that these solder joint will break after a short time again, because you haven't melted it really.

As you said, better use a heat gun and correct the cold solder joint if someone also plans to do this.

Still, I appreciate your efforts and that you registered to tell it us. As you said, before throwing the tablet away, better try to repair it with a heat gun, if not available put it in the oven, you can't really damage something broken, but I don't think it will last for a long time if you use the oven method.

10. RaptorTablet

RaptorTablet Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, this is my first post, but i did a lot of reading here and all over the web since i had the touchscreen issue that seems to be so frequent.

First things come first, so i have to THANK FRANKO for his observations about the touchscreen connector.

Some of you doubted, but i have to say: about the touchscreen cable, he is absolutely right. The connection is so cr*ppy that when you see it, you just cant believe! Theres no connector fixing the flat cable in the touchscreen controler at all!!! Its like that it was meant to malfunction. Mine was loose and i just put it back the right place, fixed with some scotch tape and voila: the touchscreen was back from the ashes.

If any of you is trying this sollution: be very careful when unmounting the lcd screen. It's full of flat cables all over its back, so beware! You dont want to start with one problem and end up with more, ok?

SHAME ON HP FOR USING LOW QUALITY PARTS!!!