tx1000 touch screen not working in Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by imajamoke, Oct 4, 2007.

1. jonez

jonez Pen Pal - Newbie

I rolled back Vista to a date I know the touchscreen worked... still nothing.

Maybe HP's disappearing BIOS update will fix this, whenever it reappears again.

Otherwise, I'm going to have go get my screwdriver.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. mallmand

mallmand Pen Pal - Newbie

I have, but lost it again, I got it back today, I am wondering you who are having trouble:

Are you using an external monitor?
    What anti-virus are you using?

The reason for the question I am using an external monitor (that is when all this trouble started) and I was using Webroot, I have switched to NOD32 everything is fine (Touchscreen works again, docing the pc switches between displays succesfully). I will update if anything new comes up.

3. SohailB

SohailB Pen Pal - Newbie

If the touch screen problem were a software issue, it should be fixed by a system recovery (the fresh erase and reinstallation of the OS and all other things).
    But I have done it and the problem still exists.

4. jonez

jonez Pen Pal - Newbie

A system restore wouldn't solve a BIOS problem, but how likely is that the cause? Not very.

I've installed the latest NVIDIA (not HP) video drivers, wiped out all of my HID drivers to let them rebuild, rolled back to a known working system config... nada.

I even reseated the video and touchscreen wires that connect under the battery.

I've resigned myself to send the puppy away to HP for a few weeks. If they give me any reasons/excuses, I'll pass 'em on.

5. SohailB

SohailB Pen Pal - Newbie

I have tried BIOS update (although I have already had the latest BIOS version) to force a refresh. But didn't help.

I only think of refreshing the BIOS by removing the battery. If the problem is not a hardware one, this is the only remained hope.

6. Phatwheeler

Phatwheeler Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a tx1120us and my touchscreen died recently. I e-mailed HP and they send me a useless link with instructions to clean the screen and recalibrate the pen. So far I have updated Bios, reset Bios, reinstalled Vista from factory recovery set and reinstall clean copy of Vista. Nothing works!!! So that rules out software issue.

Today I got an e-mail from HP asking me to send in the notebook.

7. Quincy

Quincy Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a tx1001au running vista premium and my touchscreen died around October 24. I tried the system restore, updated my bios, left battery out for a week, updated all drivers....etc basically everything short of a reinstall of vista.

It seems a bit coincidental for me that all of us started having the same problem around the same time.

I don't think I will ever buy a hp laptop again...

8. fyre_dragenn

fyre_dragenn Pen Pal - Newbie

is this a vista only problem. Im thinking of installing a copy of winxp tablet edition

9. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

I wouldn't think so. I've had three flavours of Vista installed on mine (prem, business, ultimate) and have had no issues as have many others.

From reading the thread it's beginning to look like a hardware issue, not software.

Gordon

10. wintermutt

wintermutt Pen Pal - Newbie

i think the problems are a microsoft website driver update and a bios problem and a HP website videocard update.
    since these all interact (aand since i am basically a dummy at this stuff)
    when my screen goes "out" i fix it this way.
    1. update the bios. if this fails then i
    2. roll back to a previous version of your software (before applying the last microsoft update that screwed things up).
    3. now it is OK to go to the HP update area and update .
    4. now update the bios again (otherwise the calibration will be off).
    5. finally - be careful in the future with the microsoft update feature. it is OK to update vista but do not use the microsoft site to update any of your drivers. i think HP has some proprietary stuff in there that is not compatible with the generic drivers on microsoft's site. BTW HP wanted me to send my laptop to them. i did not and i am glad i didn't. YMMV!