tx1000 touch screen not working in Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by imajamoke, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SohailB

SohailB Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe the touch screen shows itself on two branches:
    1. a "USB Human Interface Device" under "Human Interface Devices"
    2. a "HID-compliant mouse" under "Mice and other pointing devices"

Could anybody with a working touchscreen try disabling it to see if I am right, you can easily enable it again.

Thanks.

2. SohailB

SohailB Pen Pal - Newbie

The driver for touch screen can be found on:
    http://www.eeti.com.tw/web20/eg/TouckDriver/vistaDriver.htm

I found the brand name by some HarwareInfo tool.

I tried it, but didn't help.

The funny point is that it nicely detects the touchscreen device on some USB port, and you can also change its hardware settings!

3. mallmand

mallmand Pen Pal - Newbie

I am with you, my Touchscreen is gone. It looks like it happened around 10/24/07.

If I look at Reliability and Performance Monitor under the Reliability section I see a lot of WISPTIS.EXE failures. And occasionally at Boot-Up I see a little pop-up saying DEP has disabled the touchscreen input.

Two things that have happened recently, I bought a HPL2045w external monitor and I have begun seeing the mouse pointer stutter very badly for 2-3 minutes after boot up.

Maybe some clues here, I will update with solution I find.

4. SohailB

SohailB Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't get the massage you get, and also didn't find any WISPTIS related event.

I tried to disable DEP for WISPTIS but unsuccessful. (in System Properties/advanced/performance you can select the programs to turn DEP off for). Can you give it a try too?

5. mallmand

Well, I uninstalled a bunch of stuff and I have my touchscreen back and have resolved the mouse studder issue. I don't know what app was causing a problem, but this makes me think I have a different issue then you do. I will start adding apps back in and see where/if I run into trouble again.

I tried to disable DEP but could not find WISPTIS.exe and frankly am a little affraid to mess with it now that the issue is resolved.

If anyone can tell me how to export Reliability Monitor Data I can attach it.

6. mallmand

Well my touchscreen quit again so I (ha ha) used HP chat it went something like this:

"Kate": Hi, my name is Kate how can I help you

Me: Hi, my touchscreen is not working

"Kate": Iam sorry to hear that, it must be very frustrating

Me: Well, a little

"Kate": Could you give me details

I give her details about my new monitor etc

"Kate" I am sorry, that monitor is not compatible with the tx1000z

Me Really, I thought all monitors were compatible, how about the HPw2007?

"Kate" No that one is not either, only the lcd that came with you product will work as a touch screen (She actually thought I expected the external monitor to have touchscreen qualities, she pictured me touching the external monitor and being dissapointed!!!)

Me: well I know the external monitor will not work as a touchscreen, I just want the touch screen on my tx1000z to work again

"Kate" Ok I will send you a link to the fingerprint reader software

Me Why did you say fingerprint reader?

Me waiting.....

Me ...giving up...clicking the x button on the chat window

Then, I called HP and "Pierre" actually solved my issue. He had me pull the ac and the battery and hold power button to drain power, then put the batter back in boot to F10 and the bios screen. Click F9, hit enter, save and close. It boots back up all is well. Touchscreen is all good. Perhaps this is something you could try or someone could tell me what the heck it did.

As a summary Chat Support- Bad Call in Support- Good.

7. SohailB

SohailB Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for sharing it, I will check it asap and will give you the result.

PS.: Don't blame Kate. I am The IT man of a company, and it is so usual to receive calls for not being able to print on an unplugged printer, or ....

8. SohailB

SohailB Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried that BIOS refresh but didn't help.

In a chat with HP people, the guy told me to download and install the latest NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 Video Driver from: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35501-36000/sp35776.exe

Its version was newer than mine, so I did the download and installed it. But still nothing fixed :(

At the end he told me to send the laptops and they will fix the problem. But it is not a good solution at all!!!

The problem is we bought 2 tx1000 laptops within 10 days, and now both of them have the same problem. Hell!

9. jonez

jonez Pen Pal - Newbie

It's an epidemic! My touchscreen was working fine on November 1, and on November 5, it was just plain dead.

I'll try the BIOS reset, Nvidia drivers and a little santaria, and see if anything fixes the issue.

Thanks!

10. jonez

jonez Pen Pal - Newbie

i'm down to santaria, since i've already got the latest HP/Nvidia drivers and the BIOS reset above didn't help.

Has anyone else managed to recover their touchscreen functionality?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.