tx1000 touch screen not working in Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by imajamoke, Oct 4, 2007.

1. imajamoke

imajamoke Pen Pal - Newbie

HELP

I do not know what happened...one day the touch screen was working fine...the next NADA. Any ideas?

I have installed wacom driver
    What should the montior model be under Display Options?
    Where should the touch screen show up under Device Manager?

I have tried everything but a reinstall...I think I will throw this laptop from a window before I go through that ordeal again...

Best,
    Ima

2. DrNick664

DrNick664 Scribbler - Standard Member

3. hptx1000user

hptx1000user Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the exact same problem. The touch screen was working fine for a month and one fine day it suddenly stopped working. Since I dont use the touch screen functionality heavily, I dont even know exactly when it stopped working.

I contacted the HP support and they made me reinstall graphics and chipset drivers. But nothing worked. They finally asked me reinstall the operating system (which I am not very excited about) or to go to hardware support.

I tried looking into the system viewer for any problematic hardware events, but found none.

If any one has any information about how the tx 1000 touch screen shows up in the device manager, that would help a lot in troubleshooting further

4. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

When I did a fresh install of ultimate I don't remember installing drivers for the touchscreen. I think Vista did that automatically.

Here's a clip from my device manager if that helps

Gordon

Attached Files:

5. StephenGillie

StephenGillie Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe it shows up as a mouse or pointer or something like that. You may have been the lucky person to have it die early on him.

6. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think it is a mouse pointer. I'm pretty sure it is a digitiser driver although it is a microsoft driver. Probably a USB device of some sort.

1. The tablet functions are enabled by default which indicates the OS sees a digitizer.
    2. The cursor changes when you touch the screen indicating that the OS sees a different type of device.
    3. The "ink" is nice and smooth. definately not the case with a mouse driver in place.
    4. The system uses the tablet PC settings panel to calibrate, indicating that the OS sees a tablet PC.

Just a thought. Maybe you have somehow (or the OS has) turned off or disabled the tablet PC functions. In the system tab (in control panel or right click my computer and select properties) check to see in the 1st section if the tablet PC functions are "available". If not it may be as simple as turning on the tablet PC functionality in the OS.

It's just a guess but worth a try.

Gordon

7. andywar82

andywar82 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I have a TX 1000 and it happened the SAME thing to me! No drivers are available on the internet... on SYSTEM ==> DEVICE MANAGER everything seems to be fine..

Andrea

8. hptx1000user

hptx1000user Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the responses.
    The tablet functionality tabs are all available, I can also go ahead and open the touch screen calibration menu etc but not response from any of the applications on tapping the screen anywhere. Its as if no hardware interrupt is received by the system at all. Thats why I am suspecting this to be a hardware failure than a software issue.
    Do you think I should try something else before going to the hardware support?

9. wintermutt

wintermutt Pen Pal - Newbie

try updating the BIOS

easy to do on HP website

10. SohailB

SohailB Pen Pal - Newbie

I ran into the same problem. And also another friend of mine who got his tx1000 a week before me. We found out about it almost at the same time, but none are sure about the exact time because we do not use the touch screen everyday.

We both have Windows Vista Home Premium originally installed on our laptops, but I have upgraded it to Vista Ultimate.

Initially I thought it should be because one of the recent updates we received for Vista by AutoUpdate. I traced the updates and didn't find anything to suspect about.

Surprisingly the problem persists after a complete system recovery which thoroughly erased my windows partition and reinstalled everything.

Then I flashed (reprogrammed) the BIOS, but it didn't help.

On the last attempt, I flased the BIOS again and immediately invoked the system recovery before windows boot-up. But still the problem persists!

Does anybody have any idea?