tx1000 screen rotate button

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by greenapple0113, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Someone There

Someone There Pen Pal - Newbie

you did not have the problem that we are talking about in this thread to begin with. Our problem is different. AND There is no solution, believe me. I have spent a good 10 plus hours troubleshooting with hp support.

In a separate situation with my webcam...

It took 5 hours of tech support calls just to figure out that the built-in webcam doesnt work when resuming from hibernation. It only works when the computer is turned off then on again. Brilliant.

2. Someone There

Someone There Pen Pal - Newbie

so why can't I get MY buttons working by simply reinstalling quicklaunch buttons software and drivers?

3. ynotbone

ynotbone Pen Pal - Newbie

Read this before reformatting!! (will save you pain on having to rebuild)

I had a very similar experience with HP Support not really knowing how to fix the issue and simply telling me that I'll need to restore to the factory install - and that was not going to happen. :)

My situation was that I did a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate, my tx1000 was preinstalled with Windows Vista Home Premium. And of course my rotate button, windows mobility centre and amongst otherthings Webcam would not work to begin with. (side note the Webcam was the easiest to resolve).

What to do? (confirmed to work on Windows Vista Ultimate)

1. Download and Save the HP Quick Launch Buttons to your HDD (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&cc=uk&lang=en&os=2093&product=3348231&dlc=en)
    2. Check Programs and Features list in Control Panel to see if HP Quick Lauch is installed already. If it is choose to uninstall (restart your computer when prompted - this is the important part)
    3. Check Programs and Features list in Control Panel to see if NVIDIA Drivers is listed. If it is choose to uninstall (again restart your computer when prompted - this is important)
    4. Once you have confirmed that neither HP Quick Launch Buttons or NVIDIA Drivers are installed, install the HP Quick Launch Buttons that you downloaded in step 1. When prompted restart your computer.
    5. After the restart has happened from step 4, Windows detects that NVIDIA drivers are required choose to postpone installing for now.
    6. Test the Windows Mobility Centre button by pressing it (this is the button next to the rotate tablet button). When the mobility centre screen opens, and it will you will notice that there is no rotate screen option there. (This is because the NVIDIA driver is not yet installed).
    7. Let Windows Update prompt you to install the NVIDIA driver (obviously you will need to run Windows Update or have Automatic Updates turned on). Select the NVIDIA Driver and install. When prompted you will need to restart your computer for the last time.
    8. You should now have all the tablet buttons working.

While I needed 3 restarts to get this working for me. I found it better than having to reload everything again.

I have submitted the steps described above to HP support and hopefully they can test them and if necessary publish them in their knowledge base so other users won't have the horrible experience that I had trying to resolve this.

4. poisonivy

poisonivy Pen Pal - Newbie

This worked for me. Thanks a lot

5. cyberbiker

cyberbiker Scribbler - Standard Member

There has been a lot of chatter about QuickLaunch buttons not working lately. Various updates from Windows and HP are probably not integrating correctly.

I found that by installing Bios F.07 21Apr08, then reinstalling QuickLaunch Buttons v6.40B 19Dec07, all button functions returned and the desktop rotates automatically when the screen is rotated. I did not uninstall anything first. Since I had already installed QuickLaunch Buttons v6.40B, reinstalling it just overwrote the flawed files and gave me a "Maintenance Complete. Click to Restart" window when finished.

A word of warning... Avoid restoring your laptop to its original configuration unless you have tried several other solutions first. HP's tech support people reach for that solution way too soon because they are not paying for your time. The solution is usually much simpler, such as the above.

6. Dooce

Dooce Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for this great post, ynotbone. It worked for me.

Only one thing was different. After the reboots, including installation of the quicklaunch app, I was not prompted for installation of new nvidia drivers.

Even without this, everything works fine.