tx1000 screen rotate button

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by greenapple0113, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenapple0113

greenapple0113 Pen Pal - Newbie

hi~
    I just bought a tx1000 2 days ago, and everything was working fine..
    but today the screen rotate button just stopped working!!
    I never dropped the laptop or anything..it just didn't work..
    at first i thought i disabled the button, but all the other ones (windows mobility center, quickplay, the dvd button) still work...~~~???

and not only that, auto rotate stopped working too....

has anyone gotten this problem before??? How do i fix this problem???

Any advice would be appreciated :)

thanks everyone~

2. kip2001

kip2001 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I had the same exact problem, the DVD buttons worked but auto-rotate and the screen rotate button didn't. After talking with a customer service person from HP we finally fixed it by doing the following.
    Go to the HP support and drivers page and instead of typing in your model number in the search box type in your p/n number (located on the bottom of the laptop below the windows vista info). the select either 32bit for 64bit vista and download the "HP Quick Launch Buttons". Install that, restart and I believe that fixed it for me. Let me now how it turns out.

-Kip

3. greenapple0113

greenapple0113 Pen Pal - Newbie

nope, that didnt work for me....
    has anyone else encountered this situation??

4. Ixidor

Ixidor Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes.

1: try restarting
    2: if you haven't put too many files on it, use a recovery disk
    3: if you haven't created one yet, use the recovery manager (search on the start bar)
    4: contact hp support. Make sure you had internet access (they can remotely access your laptop and fix it up for you after evaluating what the root of the problem is.

good luck!

5. rookieguitarist

rookieguitarist Pen Pal - Newbie

Had the same problem.

Go to the HP recovery center and reinstall the Quick launch buttons driver or something. Should do the trick. Am at work now. Will post the detailed process when I get home.

6. meep

meep Pen Pal - Newbie

I get this problem some times, but I'm not sure if it’s the exact same thing.
    (Also the screen won’t auto-rotate if I swivel and close the lid (to make it slate like))
    Usually this happens to me after awaking from sleep or hibernation.

Generally the problem gets fixed if I re-calibrate the touch screen.
    (I typically recalibrate for whatever mode I am going to use it in, but I don't see how that would matter. I imagine calibrating any display would be effective)

7. rockethat

rockethat Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same problem with my tx1220ca. I think it happened after I updated QuickPlay to 3.4. All the buttons stopped working. I reinstalled the QuickPlay buttons from the recovery manager and the two QuickPlay buttons started to work but not the other two. When i press them there's a 'thinking' cursor for half a second but nothing happens. It also doesn't auto-rotate when I flip the screen down. Re-calibrating the screen doesnt help.

Has anyone else noticed this happen after updating QuickPlay? It could have happened after a windows update too.

Mine also has the glitchy sound caused by the wifi and i'm waiting for a software update for that. The webcam works intermittently, depending if i reinstall the driver. It's a shame because the tablet function is great.

Thanks

8. jeryst

jeryst Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the proble the very first time I rebooted our TX1219us. HP made me go through the recovery procedure and reset everything. Then it started working again. Obviously, something gets screwed up in the drivers.

9. abritton

abritton Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same problem. Fortunately I found the problem and it is easy to prevent. I wish that HP would train their help desk support people better because I found the two people I chatted with on the help desk to be completely useless.

The problem seems to be with the nvidia display driver. If you use the one that came installed on the laptop it is fine. The problem is, during the initial setup of my laptop, I was prompted to use HP Update to download the latest nvidia display driver for Windows Vista. At first I answered no, and everything was fine. I installed everything I wanted including iTunes and had no problem. Then the next time I booted the laptop I got the same prompt from HP Update to install the latest nvidia display driver for Windows Vista. That time I did install the update and that is when the tablet pc buttons and auto rotate stopped working.
    Contacting HP Support was a complete waste of time. The two support analysts I chatted with were nincompoops. One suggested I flash the bios with bios upgrade. I said (correctly) that that would void my bestbuy warranty. He said no it wouldn't. I said if I flash the bios and something goes wrong then I am out a whole lot of money and my laptop. He said I was worrying unnecessarily. I finally did flash the bios because he insisted that would fix the problem. It didn't damage my laptop any but it also didn't fix the problem. The next nincompoop I chatted with at HP Support said that I should install a whole package of updates from Windows that would fix the problem. Wrong again. It didn't make things any worse but it also did not fix the problem.
    End result: I spent all night figuring out how to fix it myself. Once I figured out how to fix it, it wasn't so bad.
    To fix:
    1. Back up all your files.
    2. Make a set of recovery disks from Recovery Manager.
    3. Turn your laptop off, put Disk 1 in the drive and turn your laptop back on. Follow all the directions to use Recovery Manager to restore your computer to factory default settings. It takes a long time but trust me it does work, permanently.
    4. After recovering your laptop, which takes a long time, you will be prompted to go through Windows set up again. DO NOT UPDATE THE NVIDIA DRIVER WHEN HP UPDATE PROMPTS YOU TO!!! Use the one you already have - it is installed automatically in the recovery process. Use the factory default driver!!

As I told one of the nincompoops from HP Support, it sucks so bad that I have to jump through all these hoops on a laptop that was FIVE HOURS OLD when the problem started. If they would only train their support personnel better, the first analyst I chatted with could have just said to use Recovery Manager to restore the system back to the point before the video driver was updated and it would have saved me a whole lot of frustration. Flashing the bios was what made it necessary to completely restore my laptop from the beginning.

Even with all that I experienced the first day, I still love the laptop and am so glad I got it. The machine is small enough to fit easily on my music stand which is important. I compose and write sheet music so I use my tablet for writing and editing sheet music, instead of having to use paper. It is much easier than using paper! The responsiveness of the pen is wonderful. Handwriting recognition is a breeze. Glare is not a problem. Trust me I perform and practice in very poorly lit conditions so if there were any glare from the display I would not have bought the laptop in the first place. Display is fine. I also read reviews that said it ran too hot. My laptop has now been on for two days straight and it is not too hot. It doesn't run any hotter than my old Toshiba laptop. Battery life is fine too, using the battery supplied with the unit.

So far I really love it. I do not blame HP for the problem with the video driver. I blame HP for not training their support analysts well enough. I also blame nvidia for supplying a faulty driver to Windows Update. Obviously it was not tested well enough with the HP 1000 TX tablet pc.

10. Free4

Free4 Pen Pal - Newbie

What a load of rubbish the core issue is that HP have not provided an adequate solution for the quick launch buttons on the screen. And boodly should do, disgraceful service from this vendor.

I have had the same problems I installed the Nvidia updates that they asked me to via the HP update service, I had to manually download this nvidia driver in order to do it since the Automatic update system does not and never has worked properly.

Since this installation the buttons on the front stopped working. I managed to get the dvd media buttons to work but the others do not for rotating the screen.

Doing this Via the software is unacceptable, how do we go about forcing HP to provide adequate service.
    I want the base functionality back that I damn well paid for without the time that was lost by their damn update suggestions

-disgusted!
    :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.