TX1000 Choppy sound mystery solved

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by cup_of_stfu, Dec 6, 2008.

1. CRE

CRE Pen Pal - Newbie

To put it very simply, the BIOS is like an operating system for the hardware itself. It tells the various hardware how to interact with each other and the Operating System. It is responsible for selecting what device the computer should boot from, where video signals are sent and so on. If for some reason an update doesn't install properly the BIOS may not be able to do its job and boot the system from a CD, display video, etc. In this case the chip has to be removed and reprogrammed with an external device (since you can't boot into Windows and do it).

This isn't precisely how it works, but I've found this explanation is easily understood by most.

There is always a risk involved with firmware flashes that this may be the result. It isn't terribly common though and most manufacturers will happily correct the problem.

2. phsphoenix

phsphoenix Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems like Vista in general is a POS where music playback is concerned. For further reference, see
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1196678&SiteID=1

For me, the problem is that every time WMP11 gets close to the end of a file, it has to buffer the next one. When it does that, there's a 1 second glitch in playback. This usually happens 5-10 seconds before the end.

I run Windows Vista Ultimate x64, and for now, disabling speaker effects in the control panel seems to have solved the issue (fingers crossed). Gonna try a major driver update next.

P.S. Edit: Might want to try killing Check for Automatic Updates as well. Does wonders. Just remember to check manually every few days/weeks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

easy path would then i guess be to not use wmp

4. Speed

Speed Programmer + Tablet Lover

On the TX, just disable 802.11a!
    I have no problems with mine, am still at default BIOS and firmware.
    Using Windows Media Player.

My desktop is x64 Ultimate, no sound problems.

5. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

personaly i hate wmp it rubs me the wrong way
    even though with 11 it have become less ugly
    i use itunes for my music and winamp for videos
    but of cause each to their own

6. phsphoenix

phsphoenix Pen Pal - Newbie

The funny thing is that Winamp works more or less as it should, even if it's not Vista compatible. *ahem* But I'd rather not install more than I need to, so if WMP11 can do the job, it'll stay. It helps keep my install images smaller.

7. ryanegt

ryanegt Pen Pal - Newbie

I just wanted to thank the awesome people on this thread who pushed through and found a fix for this problem. My TX1220 suffered the same audio crackling/stuttering and I just decided to live with it at the moment since HP support is way more of a hassle. Between work, home and school, I have yet to discover an "a" network so good riddance. Thanks!

8. Razor

Razor Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the exact same problem and learned that it was the wifi causing the choppy sound. I was able to resolve the issue without having to turn my wifi off. All I had to do was disable the a band within the device manager settings for the wifi card and no more sound problems.

9. Someone There

Someone There Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a similar experience to yours, excellent service in the past, coherent tech reps, fast repairs, but since i bought my new TX1218ca I have had NOTHING BUT HEADACHE with HP, and their service is TERRIBLE!!! You cannot understand the tech reps, their accent is so strong that it doesnt even sound like they are speaking english! I got disconnected from tech support not once, but twice. I've had to specifically ask for a rep with a north american accent, but they could not even understand THAT REQUEST!!! So i used their live chat feature online with a little better luck. The laptop is sweet, but comes with a few MAJOR flaws, the popping sound with the music, the Quicklaunch buttons you cannot customize, the remote that has little function besides play and pause, the hazy-milky touchscreen that you cannot see worth s*** in the daylight, the crappy webcam that works only when it feels like it,(you gotta catch it when it's not 'busy'")or unplugged... yes unplugged, even though it's built in???? or you can spend a total of 4 hours over 4 sessions with tech support just to have them tell you to factory restore the darn thing like i did, just to have all the problems pop up fresh again. When i asked what they can do to compensate me for my trouble with their defective product, they say We cannot help you in canada, even though i called the canadian number and bought my laptop in canada... ERRRRRRRRRR I am a former HP fan, too! and i would NEVER recommend HP again, ever. I hope someone from HP is reading this and goes back to tell the guys what a piece of feces they've produced and called a tablet. Once all my computer issues are solved, maybe i can sit and enjoy this thing for once. Wait, it's searing the heck out of my leg as we speak. ouch! Thanks, Hurl-it Packard!

10. dlods

dlods Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks to all of you who made the foregoing posts. I too have been plagued since purchase with horribly choppy sound on my tx1219us. I tried everything suggested except the bios flashing to no avail. Then as I sat and mulled over the comment about the nature of the choppiness sounding like cellular interference, and pondered what radios existed in this beast, the words BLUE TOOTH suddenly popped into my head. I went immediately to the device manager and disabled the Blue Tooth radio. Turned the wireless g radio back on, and now I listen to Napster with 0 chop as I surf. I did however leave the "a" band disabled in the Broadcom as I too live a continent away from the neasrest "a" network, but that alone hadn't done it.

Try this, you might like it! :)