TX1000 Choppy sound mystery solved

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by cup_of_stfu, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makryger

makryger Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmmm... I guess my ears aren't atuned enough to realize this was a problem. But I suppose I don't use a networks anywhere I go anyways... so long 'a'!

2. irwinx

irwinx Pen Pal - Newbie

I solved it slightly differently, I disabled the broadcom piece of junk, and bought a wireless-G usb device; I downladed the vista drivers from the linksys site, and volia i get twice the signal strength, as well with the wifi on the end of a usb cable, hanging over the top edge of a picture frame here in the hotel; the signal went from 1 to 2 bars to 4 bars solid, so I guess the antenna in the 12xx series soen't have much gain. I'm happy to see that someone has figured out how to get music to play with the existing driver by disabling the wifi-a in the broadcom driver, but I want it all gone, so I'll leave it disabled till they release a driver that doesnt hog the computer resources.

As for sound, I've turned on the bass effect in the realtek equalizer, it makes the speakers on the tx1219 sound "ok". (it's one of the last things on the bottom of the control panel -> sound and hardware page)

3. Speed

Speed Programmer + Tablet Lover

Actually, I've found the wifi capabilities of the TX1000 series stunning, getting signal where no other device I have has been able to, including halfway down the (long, long) garden...

4. tpfl

tpfl Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the _exact_ same problem. After updating the Realtek drivers, and following the HP rep's instructions to disable DMA on the hdd (?), reinstall the broadcom driver, reinstall ATA 0, and update BIOS (which was already the same as the one to which they wanted me to update), I realized that the crackle sounded a lot like the cell phone interference on your tv. So I tried switching off the wireless and it fixed.

I tried the solution posted here and it worked perfectly. Thank you all very much. Looks like HP still hasn't put this fix in their knowledge base for their reps, but hopefully they will.

5. kuyawsadabaw

kuyawsadabaw Pen Pal - Newbie

There's a new firmware that seems to have been released to address this issue.

The problem seems to be limited to 802.11n equipment (router and the tx1000z WLAN card), at least in my case at home.

Where I'm at right now, there's only 802.11g router, and there's no stutter at all even when connected with the 802.11n WLAN card.

I won't be able to test out the newly installed firmware until I get home.

6. bulkhead

bulkhead Pen Pal - Newbie

Someone should make this a sticky!

I just tried it (disabling a) and it worked.

7. cpux00

cpux00 Pen Pal - Newbie

man, I had the exact same problem changed to tx1220 and back to this and as you mentioned the wifi causes that. I have no clue why. I really bugs me though. I also noticed upgrading the driver makes it worse!. I cant really turn off the wireless cause I work on wirless most of the times. keep me updated if you found anything new.

8. DieselNYC

DieselNYC Pen Pal - Newbie

HP just released firmware f18 on their site. It is supposed to fix this problem.

9. Perseide

Perseide Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanx Thanx Thanx Thanx... what can i say? Talk about a mind bugging problem.... You saved my day! Well to say the least you saved my month.

Alexandre

10. GuinnessLover

GuinnessLover Pen Pal - Newbie

I just recently bought my Tx1210us 3 days ago and I, too, was having that sound problem. After seeing so many responses of how well it worked and solved the problem, I tired downloading the BIOS downgrade. After installing it, it said it had to shut down. When I tried to reboot--NOTHING. I popped in the Recover Dvds--NOTHING. So I'm now chatting with HP support and the guy's telling me my motherboard might be messed up and I have to send it in for repair!

I don't understand why I worked for everyone else!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.