TX1000 Choppy sound mystery solved

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by cup_of_stfu, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DieselNYC

DieselNYC Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been obsessed with trying to figure out what was causing this. It's pretty annoying. HP told me to order a replacement unit and I did (it's coming tomorrow) but I wasn't convinced that this one was defective.

After loading and unloading tons of drivers and doing 2 system recoveries, I determined that the WiFi card was causing this. When you turn off the WiFi (switch in the front) the problem goes away. I wish I tried that first before wasting hours troubleshooting. :)

I don't know if every WiFi option does this but I have the Broadcomm a/b/g/Draft-N version in my TX1220us.

Simply turning it off fixes my problem.

Such a simple solution but took forever to figure it out. I hope this can be fixed with a future Broadcomm driver update or maybe I have a defective WiFi card. I'll see if it is defective when I get the replacement tx1220 tomorrow or if this is a problem across the whole TX1000 product line.

I'd like to hear from others if this fixes the problem for them.

To the couple of people who never had a problem are you using a different version of the wi-fi or not using the wi-fi at all?

Now I can go to sleep. :)

2. Ixidor

Ixidor Scribbler - Standard Member

lol, actually, I'm using the b/g. Looks like it was worth the money saved.:D

3. DieselNYC

Lol, I guess so.

Strange thing is that when I watch streaming video from the web using my WiFi the sound is fine. That's the only time my sound is cool with the WiFi on. So, I guess, switching it off to listen to music or watch a movie is no big deal.

4. rookieguitarist

rookieguitarist Pen Pal - Newbie

Wonderful discovery DieselNYC. Sweet! That explains the flawless sound from a DVD I was watching with wi-fi turned off to check battery life. But, I have a pre-n wi-fi card and an 80 Gig. hard drive and would prefer playing music over LAN. I hope Broadcomm comes up with new drivers to solve this.

"Now I can go to sleep. :) "

Amen to that! :)

5. DieselNYC

Cool, glad to help. So, you don't have an 'N' card? I guess, the problem is across the board on all WiFi cards in the TX1000's. I'm trying to get HP to research. Your info will help.

6. rookieguitarist

rookieguitarist Pen Pal - Newbie

I do have an 'N' card. It is still in the draft stage. That's why the "pre-n". My device manager identifies the card as

Broadcom 4321AG 802.11 a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi adapter.

7. DieselNYC

I should have looked at your sig.

So it may be limited to the Draft-N version.

I'd like to know if anyone out there with the Standard A/B/G WiFi is experiencing sound issues?

8. alanjrobertson

alanjrobertson Scribbler - Standard Member

9. DieselNYC

At least they are starting to look into the issue, unfotunately that didn't fix it. As long as my A/B/G/N card is ON I get the disturbance. I have someone at HP contacting their research department to resolve this. Let's see if anything comes of it.

10. Maarten

Maarten Pen Pal - Newbie

Diesel, I can support your theory! No troubles with choppy audio with my ABGN-wifi adapter OFF. But once I turn it on my notebook produces choppy audio every few seconds (usually 40-60 seconds). I have the tx1127ea btw...
    I hope HP gets on this. Since their newest notebooks probably all have the ABGN thing, they will be receiving lots of complaints once people start to find this post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.