TX - I beat the heat problem

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dpnow.com, Mar 9, 2011.

1. dpnow.com

dpnow.com Scribbler - Standard Member

My 15 month old tx1030ea has been running VERY hot. RightMark was reporting it hitting 90+ C in HP Recommended power mode (CPU throttling on demand) and at just 800MHz (full speed 1.6GHz for my TL-52 CPU. The fan, unsurprisingly has been at full tilt most of the time. The CPU has also been throttling back to 800MHz even in AC-connected full power mode, probably meaning the system's own CPU thermal overload protection was kicking in. Needless to say, this has not been great for battery life, fan noise, system performance (very up and down) nor for my right knee, which is getting used to being cooked!

Eureka!

It suddenly dawned on me that the cooling fan and heat sinks might be clogged with dust? A hearty blow into one of the vents on the underside of the case generated a nasty little cloud of dust. I did my best to blow any loose dust out and then finished the job by using a vacuum cleaner hose (our Dyson vac has a very strong suction factor) over all the vents.

It's really made a big difference. Even on full power mode with AC connected and both CPUs on 95-100% load (@1.6GHz) the fan is not on full speed and the CPU temp is stable at 76C. That's still quite hot compared to other laptops, but it's no longer burning my right knee and as I previously mentioned, the fan is not running at full tilt and noise.

Running on batteries and on HP Recommended power mode, with the CPU at 800MHz the core temperature is a cool 53C and you can hardly hear the fan too.

I'm really pleased!

Ian

2. Spartan117

Spartan117 Pen Pal - Newbie

nice one :) allways good to give a laptop a good clean, now why cant they have filters like my p192 :p hehehe

3. key

key owner of the internet

so that would mean that almost every single tx out there is dusted inside? Dunno, mine was hot since I used it for the first time.

4. thebranded

thebranded Pen Pal - Newbie

same here, and the fan is constanly on and loud.

but it gets the job done so i'm not complaing too much

5. dpnow.com

I suppose it's all relative, really. The TX chassis is small in volume so there is less heat sink area and space for the fan system. In other words the cooling system has to work harder. All the AMD Turion CPUs in the TX range have a TDP of between 31 and 35W, so some TXs will run slightly hotter than others. My tx1030ea has a 1.6GHz TL-52 Taylor core, so it's 31W. I think the new TX2000s which have 2GHz CPUs have the newer Tyler core, which means the same 31W TDP as the older 1.6GHz part. But faster CPUs and older ones will have a 35W TDP.

But the fact remains that by cleaning out my machines cooloing system has made a huge difference. I've done the same to my wife's 17 inch Acer and it's helped too - bringing the monitored temperature down from 80C to 56C.

And it may not take that long for your notebook's cooling system to get a bit clogged, so I'm certainly going to regularly check and clean the cooling system as necessary.

Ian

6. makryger

makryger Pen Pal - Newbie

i've had my tx1000 for about 8 months now, and haven't taken the chance to blow a little pressurized air through there. I did, and the fan does seem to run a lot quieter, and less often now. I haven't installed temperature monitoring software, so I can't tell you how much better it is.

Good thinking!

7. dpnow.com

I know this is an ancient thread, but I think it has a very handy message. Since my tx1000 I moved to a tx2000 and yesterday RightMark was reporting 80C temperature, so I vacuumed the cooling vents (blowing with my mouth against the normal flow direction to dislodge any fluff) and today the temperature is down to under 59C even with the CPU maxed out.

Ian