tx 2000 multiple inputs

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by bluemonq, Apr 8, 2008.

1. skimat

skimat Pen Pal - Newbie

I was puzzled about multiple inputs.
    Someone owning this could tell me about the possiblity of :

- using two (or more) pens at the same time
    - using the pen (to draw) and fingers ( to choose the tools )

What could be great
    having two pens and using one with one tool and one with an other one
    so switch tools would just be a matter of switching pens or obviously using multiple tools at the same time.

[seams hp updated their product line components tablet included]

- is it possible to drop a piece of paper on the tablet and trace over it
    - is it possible to draw with the fingers and if so with many fingers at the same time

also did anyone let it fall from like a table and was the disk still running fine

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi skimat,

Only one stylus pen can be used at one time for the active digitizer -- I've tried with different Tablet PCs with a stock stylus pen and the Wacom Cross Executive. Vectoring issues may occur if using multiple inputs by using touch-based inputs, ala finger or another object other than the included stylus pen. You can use the pen to draw, and your fingers to select tools. Just remember that when you have the pen within 1" vertically of the display, the active digitizer is active. However, if you have the included stylus pen (for active) and a PDA stylus (for touch), it will work fine, but if using both these pens at once, the active digitizer supercedes (takes priority over) the touch digitizer.

Yes, it is possible to draw with a piece of paper over it, but only for the active digitizer (ala stylus pen). The digitizer emits EMR (radio) signals and the pen reflects them back for (x,y) positioning.

No, it is not possible to draw with multiple fingers; as resistive passive (touchscreen) digitizers found in such Tablet PCs like the tx2000 series does not support multitouch inputs. The Dell Latitude XT, however, with capacitive touch supposedly does, provided that there are drivers (from N-Trig) and applications that support multitouch.

3. bluemonq

bluemonq Pen Pal - Newbie

...and Dell has yet to provide a solid or even semisolid date on when drivers will come out :(

4. chrstndsgnr

chrstndsgnr Pen Pal - Newbie

Just for shiggles I just tried it. Using pen and finger, the pen takes priority since it deactivates the passive portion of the screen, but with two fingers it actually put the cursor half way between my two fingers and kept it there regardless of where i moved them. it was useless but kinda cool non-the-less.

5. Ixidor

Ixidor Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually, even with a piece of paper, it works (pen OR finger, never both). Sketch away! (If you were intense, you'd attach a real eraser to the plastic eraser end of the stylus and sketch real-time on both digital and paper and then save the sketch at the end)

6. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

my bet is everybody who try to make dual touch input will get a latter from apple or ms's lawer as they both got a pile of patents about such things :S

7. bluemonq

bluemonq Pen Pal - Newbie

Not necessarily. Microsoft's patents I believe incorporate visual sensing, not eletrical. Also, Apple's current method limits multi-touch to two fingers (maybe three with the touchpads). My understanding is that Dell is using a different manner that enables many more points. I suppose they might try an injunction that prevents Dell users from using less than three fingers :rolleyes: In which case, I'd have one finger for them... :cool: