TwoMon USB thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by stoneseeker, Jun 22, 2015.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Moving discussion/tips for TwoMon USB here so we can have it all in one place.

I updated to the new driver software today (2.0.21.0) and I'm impressed with the developers recent changes and adjustments to what started out as pretty spartan and confusing software. There are still a ton of potential problems while trying to get the software working proper but ultimately an app with a lot of potential for those of us who sometimes need more screen real estate while working at a desk.

I currently use it on a Samsung Note Pro 12.2 and the desktop client is my Fujitsu T902. I have been experimenting with using the notepro as the extended monitor to house the properties and timeline UI in Flash while I animate. This frees up the T902 to be almost entirely the stage area where I draw/animate.

My issues with the current build are: 1.) lag (improved but still present even when USB connected) 2.) cursor offset between devices (notepro and T902 both use the same Wacom tech) -- though this is no fault of twomonusb of course. 3.) windows disappear while you drag them or move them on the tablet monitor. Other windows glitches take place when you have overlapping windows as well. 4.) aero visual themes are disabled during use --not a big deal, just annoying.

Some random tips that may save you headaches:

- If your screen is only cloning and you cant get your system to extend the desktop no matter what you do in the windows display settings, you need to tap 3 fingers on the tablet screen, then swipe right to select extended desktop. I wish I knew this earlier today, took me a good 20 minutes to figure it out. I thought it was Fujitsu display manager overriding or something.

- If your tabletpc/comp can't talk with the tablet despite following steps install Samsung Kies on your computer. I don't remember why, but it solved my problems. It was as though there was some deep setting in my T902 that had been shut off to comunicate with mobile devices like cellphones and such, but after a day or two of trying everything, Samsung Kies enabled my tablet to talk to the computer properly.

-When I encounter other tips or remember other things I found the hard way I'll list them here.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Here is a little different but related tip, especially if you are using Windows on an 8" device. It is called Intel Remote Keyboard, an Android app that lets you use your phone as keyboard/touch pad for Windows. This is absolutely brilliant since you are likely to carry your phone around with you anyway. The keyboard is still a tad rudimentary, doesn't support foreign languages nor does it have a swipe function. But it is very reliable. I tried it running Word in full screen mode and all the keyboard shortcuts I tried worked flawlessly.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I don't know if this will work with the note pro, but my solution for the cursor offset with my GN4 was to get the full size SPen and calibrate the Windows devices to that. They are only one button, but they are cheap (can be found for -10 bucks). Since wacom added the radial menu to all devices I haven't found a need for the second button anyway... Of course I'm not an artist =)

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

stone, was the lag severe? Did you use a USB 3.0 cable to connect your note pro and T902?

Given USB 3.0 theoretical bandwidth, I expected a seamless, lag-free experience. It sadly seems not the case.

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Lag is definitely still very present even on USB 3.0. I use a USB 3.0 port on the T902 and use the supplied NotePro mini USB to USB cable that comes with the device to link them (the charging cable without the AC/DC portion). Perhaps that cable is not fast enough? I am assuming the mini USB port on the NotePro is a USB 3.0?

On another note, our NotePro 12.2 released a Lollipop update... I'm a little scared to update. Do you think it will improve things enough to be worth it? I'm worried about various apps not being ready for the update and programs breaking.

6. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes. The miniUSB port on the NotePro is 3.0, the bundled cable should be as well. I guess it largely depends on the software side. When I look at AstroPad demo, an iOS equivalent to TwoMonUSB for connecting iPad and OSX devices, it's butter smooth (not to mention pen pressure-sensitive)! Probably more native code implemented. AstroPad devs are former Apple software engineers anyway.

On Lollipop, I'd refrain from upgrading, unless you have to. App compatibility is a valid concern. If I learn anything from using Android, "don't fix thing when it ain't broke".

7. bobo123

bobo123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,(this is my first post ...)

I just got twomon usb and have been trying to get it to work for a couple days, without succes ...

I have installed the android app on an android ereader (Onxy Boox M96), and installed the program on windows 7 & 8 laptops, as well as the official ADB for the ereader,

On the app, it has a cross next to usb connection, but i can connect to the laptops, and then the laptop screens do some resolutions changes for a few seconds, after which the connection is disconnected ...

On the program, it sees the ereader, and says that it is connected, before the disconnection,

any tips would be very welcome ...

Thanks in advance !

8. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

stoneseeker, could you please check how does it run over USB 2.0 cable @ 1024x768 resolution?

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'm not completely certain, but I think it may be that the e-Reader doesn't come with video drivers.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

10. Dereck Morgan

Dereck Morgan Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine was working fine but now only shows a white screen on my Samsung Galaxy Tab pro

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2018