Two New Laptops: Galaxy Book Ion & Flex still no SGB12 update

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 29, 2019.

1. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

is the Samsung Galaxy Book Flex (15") have an emr S-Pen? The only reason I ask is that I can't find the specs on it and it says that it's bluetooth, which usually isn't needed for an EMR pen.

2. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes Samsung settings has a Color option under Display, where you can choose form QLED Auto mode, Dynamic, Standard, Reading, Natural, Professional Profile. You can also choose the level between Warm to Cool and tun on/off Color Control to save power. There is also a setting for turning on HDR+ mode. Also, there are settings for Outdoor mode for bumping up brightness and Flicker free setting.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    desertlap likes this.
  3. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes both the Galaxy Book 13" and 15" have the EMR S-Pen. They added the Bluetooth functionality similar to the Galaxy Note 10 phone series that allows you to use the Pen to control Powerpoint slide show, swipe to see next picture in Gallery etc, but Bluetooth is not really needed for the pen functionality. All my old EMR pens that don't have Bluetooth works equally well so its the same old EMR.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great! Thanks a lot!

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That isn't just a 15" screen on the Flex. It's 15.6"

That extra point 6 of an inch makes a significant difference! Diagonal? I remember having a Dell drawing computer 2-in-1 with a 15.6" screen, and it was generous and gorgeous. (Albeit, with a dumb dumb battery pen). But with Wacom EMR? What a beauty the Flex would be to work on!

And damn! You can get financing from Samsung; $58 per month (USD) for two years. The Canadian side doesn't even offer the flex, so I don't know if they'd sell one to a Canuck...

If my N9P wasn't in perfect working order, I might be tempted to find out.

6. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

This is what is tempting me as well despite the shortcomings. At $1400, it stings that they don't offer 16GB like last year's N9Pen15. But I dig the new angular design (didn't care for the N9Pen generic looking rounded corners), and having a 15.6" Wacom EMR QLED canvas at only 3.4lbs sounds awesome after using 12"/13" convertibles.

7. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Samsung is going to cost themselves a ton of sales with the decision to keep RAM to 8 GB on the Ion ad 12 GB on the Flex. If they had given the Flex and / or Ion 16GB of RAM, I would have very likely purchased one to try it out and I am sure many others will look elsewhere for laptops with 16 GB.

Note - I actually wanted the Ion since the Flex is significantly heavier than the Ion and Flex also has shallower keyboard travel than the Ion (per a review on one of the sites) and I did not exactly like the Notebook 9 Pen's keyboard (actually returned it primarily due to the keyboard feel / lack of key travel) which is similar to the Flex's keyboard I believe.
    Battery life is also a bit better on the Ion, although the Flex has great battery life too.

Given I already own a nice HP Elitebook 1050 G1 with 16 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1050 and a Core i7-8750h with a fast 1 TB SSD, I want at least 16 GB RAM in any replacement laptop (e.g. Ion or alternative *).
    My main reason for wanting / considering the Ion is the much lighter weight than my HP, as well as better battery life. QLED display is also a nice plus on the Samsung.

* The LG Gram 15 was another contender due to being lightweight and having great battery life like the Ion; however the Gram's keyboard also leaves a little to be desired like the NB 9 Pen / Flex.
    The HP 1050 G1 keyboard has nice key travel and tactile response.

Back to the Flex; I did see one reviewer who liked the Flex's keyboard "crisp" feel, but curious if the Flex's keyboard is better than the Notebook 9 Pen's keyboard or not.
    However, I will not buy the US model of the Flex or Ion due to neither being offered in the US with a 16 GB option currently. Too bad Korea models, which do also have a 16 GB version, cost so much more to begin with (i.e. even for the version with the same specs - e.g. 8 GB Ion is a lot cheaper in US than Korea).

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I know folks here are complaining about 12 GB of ram, but I could care less and I'm sure I'm not the only one. In truth, 12 would be an upgrade for me.

Just thought i'd throw another voice into the pot.

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

12GB would indeed be an upgrade from 8GB......but the upset over 12GB stems more from it being such a petty nickel and dime gesture. Had they at least offered a 16GB model, I don't think many would care that the also had a 12GB option....but Ram is so cheap......the difference from 8GB to 16GB is....like $30......it would have been such a simple gesture for them to just offer 16GB and call it day. People who buy the larger more expensive model will typically do so for higher specs like Ram....so its just such a mis-step.....and so few other companies even offer or use 12GB.....its like....what competition is sparking them to settle on 12GB....almost every device they would view as competition would likely have 16GB. And as is....the Note 10+ phone has 12GB of Ram.......maybe....they had excess supply of phone ram components and decided to plunk that RAM into a premium laptop?

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Would more ram make more people happy? Yes. Does the mentality in these forums about it seem slightly overblown to me? Yes. But to each their own.