Two New Laptops: Galaxy Book Ion & Flex still no SGB12 update

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 29, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I believe they are using the same method they use with their high end QLED TVs which is to modulate the back light at a very high rate of between 400 and 500 hz. This is still technically PWM but supposedly at a high enough rate that even PWM sensitive users aren't affected,

The downside is that it will impact the maximum brightness of the display overall (especially in a laptop) which is likely why they make it a mode instead of default.

PS: There is anecdotal information that pulsing the back light has a negative effect on the lifespan of the back light as well.

2. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

3. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

Did I miss something or Best Buy's price for the 13“ much cheaper than Samsung's site ($999 vs $1349). Only diff I see so far is the color and slightly more RAM on the Best Buy model.

4. Qyygle

Qyygle Pen Pal - Newbie

The Best Buy 13" is actually the Flex Alpha, which uses Comet Lake Intel chips, not the Ice Lake (~GX) designator. The main difference is that Comet Lake is still 14nm++++ (whatever revision they're at now) on the old UHD graphics vs the 10nm Ice Lake, which has improved graphics (iris).
    The Flex Alpha also still has USB-A ports though, which might be a plus for some.

Best Buy has always been terrible with showing proper specifications or models

5. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

BestBuy doesn't have the Flex 13. It only has the Flex Alpha 13 while it does have the Flex 15". The Flex Alpha 13 doesn't have the S-pen and comes with a smaller battery. Its all very confusing. Just how Samsung likes to play alas.

6. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

FHD? LOL

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think BB has Flex and Flex Ion all mixed up.

8. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

First impressions of the Galaxy Book Flex 13:
    1. Handsome looking laptop. I much prefer the sharper edges of this laptop than the curves of the Notebook 9 Pen 2018 and 2019 versions. A slight point of concern is the slight creak on the top lid towards the center of the frame close to the hinges. Not sure what it is but I somewhat remember the same thing happening with the Notebook 9 pen 2019 which just went away with time. Its like it hasn't quite settled yet or something. Rest of the body is very sturdy and solid.
    2. Hinges have a different feel compared to the Notebook 9 pen 2018 and 2019. It seems less stiff and is easier to change angles which is both a little good and a little bad if you want it to stay in place.
    3. Blue color looks good, but is a fingerprint magnet and I much prefer the plain metallic grey color of the 2018 version which didn't show any fingerprints while both this and the Notebook 9 Pen 2019 do so very quickly.
    4. Bezels are much reduced compared to the 2018 and 2019 versions and the display looks very modern, and immersive inspite of the somewhat large bottom bezel which is easy to ignore. As a side effect there is no face recognition IR camera up top for Windows Hello login which is a small setback from the 2019 version. But the Fingerprint scanner is my preference anyways so no huge loss, plus they seemed to have improved the sensitivity and the accuracy of the fingerprint scanner as it hasn't failed me once here, while in 2019 version it always took me a couple tries and adjustments to login.
    5. Screen looks amazing. Not as good as their QLED TVs but looks slightly better in terms of color and contrast than the 2018 and 2019 versions. FHD resolution is perfect and I am not craving a more pixel dense display as everything looks sharp. Comparing the screen to OLED screen on my Galaxy Book 2, I much prefer the Galaxy Book Flex screen as OLED always seems hard on the eyes to me for some reason. OLED is appealing only when I have to look at the screen for short durations otherwise it really taxes my eyes. So, overall screen is a big win here. There is a Flicker-free setting similar to the 2019 notebook 9 pen.
    6. Keyboard is much improved compared to the Notebook 9 Pen 2019. The 2019 version keyboard was squishy and serviceable but not pleasing to use. While, the Flex keyboard has a satisfying "thunk" and release, that feels better and the fingers glide over the keys easier. The keys are also very quiet. It reminds me of the Pixel slate and Pixelbook keyboards which were amazing in my view.
    7. Speakers are as good as the 2019 notebook 9 pen, but not any better. It has nice sound but I don't plan on using it much as I prefer to use headphones anyways.
    8. Speed wise in my usual tasks of Office, Browser, Code compilation, Web scripts, some video editing seems as fast as the Notebook 9 pen but not any noticeably faster. I don't game on the laptop so can't vouch for the supposedly much improved graphics of the 10th gen.
    9. Battery life is slightly better than the Notebook 9 pen 2019. The 2018 version battery size was anemic but still lasted a solid 6 hrs for my workload. The Notebook 9 pen 2019 easily gave me 8 hrs. The Galaxy Book Flex is poised to exceed that by 1-2 hrs based on the battery drains I am observing so far. This might be one of my favorite features of this laptop. I will probably turn on the battery saving feature that caps the full charge to 85% to extend battery health.
    10. Lastly, the S-pen - the only reason I can't seem to be able to switch to any other brand besides Samsung as they are the only ones to consistently support EMR tech in their phones, tablets, and laptops. It's as good as ever and there is just no competition. Wacom AES and N-Trig have all improved but I am a fan of EMR and have many EMR pens. Its precise, has no lag, and is a dream for note taking. This is the best feature of this laptop even though I can't say that its any better than the 2019 version, where in my view it had already hit its peak.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I know, eh?

That screen looks.., nearly perfect. Finally.

But 16Gb is now, these days, kind of a base requirement for a decent, all-round content creation system.

I've been tasking my N9P with video editing jobs lately, and it's actually quite snappy with Davinci Resolve 16, but you don't want to be messing around with corner cut memory.

Those Thunderbolt ports on the new machine are looking really useful from my current perspective, (running external graphics cards, and multiple cameras with capture card inputs.., all of which the N9P can't do), but 12Gb is a bit of a tooth grinder. It's probably enough to get by, but you'd be spending all your time wincing at the ceiling when you're running big jobs. Even for basic drawing programs, I've been hitting the limits with 16Gb on very large canvases with lots of elements.

Samsung should have at least kept it at 16Gb, and to be on the money, should have offered a 24Gb version. Pulling back to 12 is a weird, stingy move!

It's like they're scared of invoking the Unicorn guild.

Lilawyn and Shogmaster like this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Curious about one thing. Does Samsung bundle any kind of software for display calibration or do they just rely on what's built in to windows? My admittedly limited experience with QLED has shown that they have their own quirks and behavior separate from standard LCDs or OLED