Two New Laptops: Galaxy Book Ion & Flex still no SGB12 update

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 29, 2019.

1. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Got an update from Datavision saying the galaxy book flex is available to order. Placed an order already. Too bad they only have the 8GB RAM version.

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Twitfri,
    You have had the last two generations also, right? The grey and the blue? If so, I'm interested to hear your experience with the new model. If you have the chance, please share here!

I've been waiting for the new 15.6" blue model to come out to see what the results would be. As always, I expect very good pen input and screen quality from Samsung, and by all accounts the sound is very good too. I'm most curious about
    -battery life
    -typing experience
    -heat and fan noise

Particularly in comparison to previous models. Thanks!

Lilawyn likes this.
  3. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Dear twitfri,

Would you mind checking for PWM?

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First reviews are trickling out. We are supposed to get our sample this week. I'm especially eager to test the display. As I think I've stated before, QLED should offer some of the benefits of OLED such as color gamut without some of the downsides such as power consumption and relative fragility.

That being said, we've heard through numerous channels that downsizing QLED (which to date was in TVs) has proven challenging.

Engadget Link
    https://www.engadget.com/samsung-ga...gn=homepage&utm_medium=internal&utm_source=dl

5. twitfri

It's interesting that Galaxy Book Flex Alpha in US has the same design as originally advertised and not the modified version with S-Pen that got released in Korea.

Also, for some reason they sent to the reviewers the 16GB RAM version of Galaxy Book Flex which is not even available to purchase in the US.

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Best Buy US currently only shows up to 12GB/512GB versions of 13.3 and 15.6" Galaxy Flex. ($999/$1399)

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And if past is prologue those configurations are likely Best Buy only SKUs. I think the one we will be getting is a lower end 13 possibly i5 and 8GB RAM but not certain.

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

12GB configs are such penny pinching Samsung BS for such high end devices. 16GB in my Notebook 9 Pro is lacking in certain jobs I have done and now they expect people to upgrade down to 12GB?!?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

FYI- there is supposedly a PWM-free mode that you can choose. I read about it in a review.

10. twitfri

This was available in the Notebook 9 Pen 2019 version too. Glad they carried it over to the new version and being QLED didn't prevent this in some way.