Two New Laptops: Galaxy Book Ion & Flex still no SGB12 update

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 29, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Some outstanding satire in thread. Right? Right???!

Either way, let's hope those darned scientists find treatment and a vaccine so that we can safely continue claiming that this was no big deal. And secondly, let's hope there's some new tablets coming out soon, because TPCR has been too quiet for too long! Personally I can't wait to see the Go2.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I get it; my own mom basically has no immune system due to chemotherapy over the last year. But despite my own selfish anger about the situation, I don't believe I'll feel particularly charitable to propagandists listing her passing as due to coronavirus rather than the actual cancer she's been fighting for the last year.

Now that the economy is shut down, at least we all have more time to read and research.

This item sums up some of the number crunching:

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Despite having a silo......I wouldn't be so quick to call that a S-pen in the sense it has EMR. Samsung has experimented with both AES and MPP in the recent past.....and this Flex Alpha is considered to be the "Budget" option over the full featured Flex. To make it the budget option...they had to cut corners somewhere.....enough of which to even warrant making a budget alternative... so that could actually be a AES silo stick with a supercap charger.....alot like the ones Lenovo is currently using for some of their products. So of the both models, although both Penabled.....The S-pen branding might retain to only the more premium option.

Have to admit despite the design being relativity similar if not the same as the Flex, Ion and Chromebook offerings.....in light of its lack of color....that is one boring laptop design....I guess the Flex and Chromes distinct Blue & Red color schemes leave such an impression...going back to plain seems kind of eh. Even the Galaxy Book Ion at least has the cool blue accent on its back side.

.....an on the Topic of the Covid-19 pandemic.....as a Jersey Boy only 40 minutes from NYC by train chiming in........the Massive Shut down of everything is why the virus hasn't been worse. But by today or tomorrow....NJ alone will exceed 6000 Covid Deaths....NY is already past 22,000......despite those idiot protesters.....most people in my area are taking this serious. However as much as we all want the world to reopen......-reopening is what is kind of scaring the hell out of us. Watching the NYC Daily death rate go from 800 to 700 to 600 to 400.......a big fear......should we open up......those numbers are gonna spike ahead considerably. And.....there are many people in the 30-50 year range....in good health.....with no real pre-existing conditions....who are dying from this. And Covid was able to kill so many in really under 2-months......all comparisons to the Flu or other virus's are based off 8-12 months.......Covid is a Crisis.....please don't downplay that.

4. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

While not releasing the Samsung Galaxy Book Flex, Samsung has continued to release tablets and phones at the usual pace worldwide including in US. At the same time releasing Flex, Flex Alpha and Ion elsewhere in the world for months.

It just seems Samsung doesn't see a big market for their laptops in North America and they might well be right. Anytime there is enthusiasm for their laptop line, they sure make every effort to quell it by delaying the release, or only releasing restricted versions like the Samsung Notebook 9 Pen with only 8GB of RAM, while releasing higher RAM versions in other countries! Then they can continue to claim that there is no interest in laptops in this part of the world.

Lilawyn likes this.
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is this another of those "Bill Gates invented the corona virus to sell his vaccines" theories?

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

6. thatcomicsguy

Ha ha. No it's not that. Basically...

After a month of national testing, it turns out that the disease is much more wide spread than previously thought. (To the point where there's a good chance you've already had it yourself and now carry antibodies). This is confirmed by, basically, everybody in charge of major testing initiatives. The numbers are coming in now.

When you add those figures to the calculation, the death rate due to the virus drops to well under 1%.

That's the hard math, (and that's what that video explains.) I picked that video simply because it was short and to the point.

Interestingly enough, this also means that social distancing has been largely ineffective.

So saying that the death rate being lower than expected is due to confinement measures is a false assumption based on no data. The whole idea of social distancing was to 'flatten the curve' (spread out the time frame so as to not overwhelm the medical system), not reduce the number of expected deaths. People constantly misinterpret this.

Beyond that...

There are a lot of things wrong with the way the world has been reporting on this virus. -False diagnosis (patients died of other causes, covid blamed) is very common in every country. The numbers are, it now appears, extremely overstated, not representative of reality.

There are some spike areas of note, however; usually in dense populations with a lot of very unhealthy or aged people.

New York buries people on Hart Island every day regardless of this virus; it serves as the Potter's Field for the city. -Where homeless people and others nobody collects go to be put to rest. It's not unusual at all to see trenches with coffins; they've been doing it for decades, but it has been presented as a new situation, a scare story.

The uptick in burials there, and the freezer trucks, etc., are due to two things:

1. Interruptions in the normal process chain. NYC under regular circumstances sees 400+ deaths a day. Increasing, or even doubling that figure for a few days due to covid shouldn't stress the system beyond tolerable limits, and it wouldn't if people showed up to collect bodies and/or process them as normal. The images of an overwhelmed system are due to people's behavior, not to a catastrophic number of actual dead.

2. This is a big one: 15% of the homeless people in the U.S. live in NYC. That's a LOT of homeless people packed into a very small area. The spike in covid deaths, I am educated-guessing, (having discussed this with a NYC doctor directly who works at one of the busiest covid hospitals), is largely related to poor health and rock bottom living conditions of the victims.

Essentially, New York city is a pre-existing condition.

Now, I'm not saying that there isn't a virus and that it isn't killing people. But it's far overblown and the economic shutdown is going to have much more dire consequences than the virus. Those deaths CAN be prevented. Poverty sucks.

I'm sorry if I am upsetting people by discussing this. I can happily get back to exclusively tablet talk. I'll shut up now.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

oh no.....no no no no....so much wrong with that.

1. There is no evidence at this time that having Anti-bodies for Covid-19 is going to protect someone from a re-infection. The World Health Organization and countless doctors and scientists are stressing this point to holy hell.

2. As far as the death tally, you kind of got that backwards. The actual Covid death tally is probably much higher since the Covid death tally is largely only counting deaths that had already tested positive for Covid prior to death. More so in the earlier weeks....covid victims who got sick....thought it was the flu, stayed home, didn't go to the hospital...and died at home....were for the most part not counted as part of the Covid death tally. In some cases people were tested after Death....but that wasn't a uniform policy. Heck....I know alot of people who are covid positive....for many it took weeks to get tested. They've been talking about including "likely" Covid deaths into the tally...but there have been no statistics or news of that being done as of yet. In that sense, then yes there can be false positives....but they would largely be outweighed by those who weren't counted in the early days.

3. As of Monday April 20th....NYC was only counting 617 homeless New Yorkers in the Infected tally, and only 43 in the death tally. While I fear that number will probably rise considerably in the coming weeks.....as is the Homeless population in NYC is not really contributing to the high covid death rate.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    violajack and WillAdams like this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oof.. yeah. :eek:

Social distancing has slowed down the rate of growth in deaths tremendously.

Even if the mortality rate is as low as 0.5% (which is pretty optimistic given the worldwide observations) and assuming 70% of Americans get it, we'd be on the hook for over a million dead. That seems like a number that most people would consider significant. :confused:

So we need drastic social distancing until we can do widespread testing, and then once we can do that, do contact tracing, and while we're doing all that, work very hard at finding treatments and developing a vaccine. All the while listening to and respecting the hard working medical professionals and biomedical scientists.

Edit: uh.. which thread is this again? Sorry! But I'm pretty passionate when it comes to something that threatens millions of deaths worldwide.

Lilawyn and nnthemperor like this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

This is certainly a major theme in popular media lately, which if true, would provide a tidy excuse for authorities to keep us all locked in our homes for a longer period. It doesn't, however, jive with how our immune systems have evolved to function, (and would certainly make any future vaccines pointless). It sounds like something else is going on; perhaps a mutated strain..? Re-infection by the same virus is, based on everything we've ever been told about viruses, science fiction.

And the fact remains that if you have the anti-bodies, then you had the virus and you lived to tell about it, -which is why the death rate is so low, (in the influenza range). There's not really any way to get around that, despite how it causes the crisis-happy media to frown and snipe.

You must be looking at very different sources and very different conclusions. I've come across numerous accounts of systematically poor diagnosis management, including from doctors I've had the opportunity to chat with in other forums who are on the front line. False positives postmortem appear to be a genuine and widespread problem in the accounting of this thing, so I don't really know what to say other than you might need to expand your source selection.

That may be accurate. To be honest, I haven't been able to get a clear picture on who exactly is dying in NYC, other than there being a common thread of serious underlying conditions present as a primary factor in the deaths. I am certainly speculating about homelessness being a contributing factor, but frankly, I'm surprised that it would be so low!

I mean, only 43 homeless New Yorkers dead from the virus..? Out of the several thousand folks who have supposedly died from it? That's curious!

Homeless populations are classically where tuberculosis and other respiratory illnesses bloom. I wonder what the deal is with that..? Why should they be doing so well as compared to folks with better diets and shelter options? -Unless, of course, the figure is accurate and the problem simply isn't as severe as is being reported. (Which is my position anyway.)

I guess in the end we'll see how it all shakes out.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  10. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

From the translated south korean page it's confirmed that they now have s-pen on the Galaxy Book Flex Alpha too.

Input device:
    Pebble keyboard/numeric key (backlight support)
    touchscreen
    S pen
    clickpad

https://www.samsung.com/sec/pc/gala...3060&cjevent=af4fcd7187c911ea82f6034f0a240611

This makes the decision between Flex and Flex Alpha difficult. Flex Alpha has more ports (including USB-A and HDMI) and is much cheaper ($829 starting price vs $1349 for the Flex supposedly), is heavier slightly and thicker (13.9 mm vs 12.9 mm), has smaller battery capacity (54Wh versus 69.7Wh) . The color finish for the Flex Alpha is also way more appealing in this new reincarnation where it looks like a metallic grey instead of the plasticky white when they originally announced it. But unless they release it here it's all moot anyways.

WillAdams, thatcomicsguy and Lilawyn like this.