Two New Laptops: Galaxy Book Ion & Flex still no SGB12 update

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 29, 2019.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm glad I didn't jump for the eBay special. -The Core i7 with 16GB on eBay is $320 more expensive for the same machine sold directly from Samsung. -Plus the eBay deal has an Asian standard keyboard, a non-Western power adapter and no service warranty.

I figure Samsung as an OEM supplier is more stable than some random eBay seller, so these will likely remain available for a while. I don't have to feel rushed to Buy Now.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  2. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, true then those aren't eBay specials, lol. Agreed, why hurry then.
    The one I got for $1,400 + free shipping was brand new from a veteran US-based Youtube reviewer (similar to Lisa from MobileTechReview); he bought the Flex and the Ion. He did an Ion review and sold the Ion as used; he decided not to review the Flex so that was still brand new and sold as such. The way he listed it, it was not coming up as a match in search results and came up under 'Results matching fewer words' instead, which may have kept the price down; plus the Flex was very new to market at the time.

I just need to register it with Samsung next week to get the balance of the factory warranty; given reliability so far, I will likely / hopefully never need it, knock on wood. :)
    I am pretty sure the only laptop (out of many that I have owned) that I have ever needed repair service on was my 3 or so month old Lenovo X1 Extreme early last year for a 'single fan error' issue; Lenovo replaced the mainboard under warranty and turnaround was quick (sold it a few months later due to a few things such as battery life being short and keyboard not being quite what I wanted; key actuation force too heavy which was shame since I had always wanted a ThinkPad keyboard; they use different suppliers for the same model).
    I also switched out a Surface Book 15 in the MSFT store under warranty due to high battery wear (known issue), but it was working fine, so not a repair technically.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

That's hilarious. Certainly didn't expect Canada to get better models over the USA, haha. This never happens...

Ultra super annoyed to see that in Canada the 13.3 model, which is the one I want, has the i7 chip (I got very excited when I saw that) but only 8gb RAM (hopes dashed again). Sheesh. I do not understand their thinking with this, it's not exactly a budget laptop. I would have expected i5/8gb and i7/16gb choices.

Nice deal you found there njweb! Congrats!

4. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, some odd decisions by Samsung indeed.
    Thanks!

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So Samsung's marketing machine took a victory lap today telling us that the 13 inch Flex is on track to be their best selling Windows device worldwide, especially in both the US and EU which have both been weaker markets historically.

This particular review struck me not so much for it's quality per se, but how clearly one users priorities can be so very different than anothers. In other words I could just as easily see an article about why they are glad they switched to an iPad Pro.

So just to be clear, I think the Flex is by far one of the best laptops Samsung has produced. The QLED display is a real move forward and the overall design of the system is great. Though why in the US you virtually cannot get more than 12 GB RAM is odd.

Worth a read regardless.
    https://pocketnow.com/the-samsung-galaxy-book-flex-finally-made-me-replace-my-ipad-pro

And yes I realize that this is talking about the 13 inch, but the 13 and 15 are quite similar with the major difference being the dedicated graphics on the 15.6

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Very interesting review. My problem is the 8gb ram limit on the US version. How stupid for a device with generally good specs. I have talked to Samsung sales and there won't be a 16gb option according to them for the US market.

However, that 13" has a $150 off sale going on, and with the $100 trade in for my older GB12 (the BB 4gb model) comes in at $1099. Looks like another adventure is about to begin.

7. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Happy to see that Samsung is doing well, I want to see them continue this EMR laptop path.
    Any hints as to what Samsung is going to do next?

I'm at this transition point in animation where I'm still waiting on a combo of EMR and more powerful graphics. I'm hitting limitations where 4GB of external VRAM would be my bare mininum. A Flex with 6 to 8 VRAM would be just about perfect.
    Instead, while waiting around for a ConceptD, I'm mulling exactly those options stated in the article... TB3 eGPU, gaming laptop with EMR tablet, even thinking of getting a Razer or ASUS ROG and repurposing my GB12.

8. dstrauss

Well, just to encourage bad behavior, the $1099 price was too tempting to pass up to try to go back to Wacom again. Should be here by the end of the week; will report back next week.

I should have added I really miss using my GB12 (8gb/256gb), but it is headed to eBay heaven this week to recoup a little of this expense.

dellaster, JoeS, WillAdams and 2 others like this.
  9. dstrauss

OK - I've had a couple of inquiries on "why not stay with the smaller/lighter SG2," so thought I'd answer that here:
    • Only $60 more than best price (CDW business account) for Surface Go 2 with keyboard and pen
    • Back to Wacom AND A PROPER SILO
    • 10th Gen with Iris Pro Graphics
    • Only 8gb ram but 512gb SSD and mSDXC slot (Lisa claims the SSD upgrade is fairly simple and effective)
    • 13" supposedly not grainy with text (like the 15.6" model with 12gb ram) and QLED avoids OLED headaches
    • Two TB3 ports
    • Even a little thinner/lighter than my x360 13
    So overall, except for the size/weight, it is an upgrade from the SG2 for $60 premium. Who knows, if it holds its own, and Samsung offers me $600 like they did last year to trade in for a GN 20, I may take a whole new direction...:confused::eek::cool:

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Now you are making me rethink my options...
    But I want the 16gb model

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk