Two New Laptops: Galaxy Book Ion & Flex still no SGB12 update

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

How is the pen experience? Is there friction on the screen when drawing, or does it slide everywhere?

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

The screen is glass but the siloed pen has a bit of rubbery texture to it. I am using the HP G4 x2 pen with a felt tip in it. It also has a bit of friction to it. Neither tip is hard plastic, so it doesn't slide around everywhere as bad as some pens. I am considering getting a low-matte MXH Photodon screen protector for greater friction, and will report back with time.

3. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the reply. I'm taking a guess that the pen you are using on the Flex, must feel similar on working on the Hp Zbook x2, due to the same EMR technology. It's good that it isn't too slidey. As I haven't used a screen tablet before, I have nothing to compare it to, which will inevitably leave me no choice but to accept any compromise and just having to learn how to make this tech and this whole new work flow and environment work for me.

It seems that the Galaxy Book Flex is in the lead for me (I will also need to upgrade my old desktop with a powerful CPU) and I will also have a look at the MXH Photodon protector. I look forward to hearing your results. I will also find a HP pen also.

I was still debating on the Hp Zbook x2, but the smaller screen size (you want a big screen for 3D animating, as it's frustrating have to zoom in and out of character rigs) and battery life makes it less portable for me.

4. Steve B

The tech in the two machines is the same EMR tech. However, the x2 has a matte textured screen, so it definitely would have a different (and probably much nicer) tactile feel. The Flex pen is much improved over old EMR screens and pens, and the pen (not the screen) does provide some mild friction, but it's still plastic on smooth glass.

5. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

So the Samsung Galaxy Book Flex 15.6 can be had right now for $1089.99 with free expedited shipping from the Samsung US web site. It wasn't suppose to be in stock until July 1st, but shipped out via FedEx today.

https://imgur.com/a/W3syrPf
    [​IMG]

6. Steve B

Definitely wasn't there anymore when I went the last few days. Sounds like a great deal!

7. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

Strange this is what I see when I log in: https://imgur.com/a/VoDk1FP

Galaxy Book S: from $849.99 (was $999.99)
    Galaxy Book Ion: from $1019.00 (was $1199.99)
    Galaxy Book Flex: from $1147.49 (was $1349.99)
    Galaxy Book Flex Alpha: from $849.00 (was $999.99)

Looks like their whole Galaxy Book line is on sale and I didn't do anything special and looks like they are throwing in an extra $50 gift card today for buying a Flex, which wasn't there for me when I bought a few days ago.

8. Steve B

Well, I filled my cart but didn't go all the way to the end. Maybe that's where the reduction appears? Not sure.

Anyways, for me it's academic. I wanted the device 4-6 weeks ago, and I guess that's that. LOL. I have no buyers remorse.

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Whoa.

Samsung is selling these things to Canada. They even have Canadian prices listed. And get this... The 16GB version is available.

Did Hell just freeze over? I'm not used to being treated like a global citizen allowed to buy modern computers... Is this what freedom feels like?

screenshot.1942.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  10. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, that is unreal!
    Canada gets the 16 GB too now! Asia and Canada both now have the 16GB Flex, so why is the US market being ignored...

I ironically saved money due to this decision by Samsung to only sell the 12GB one in the US, since it forced me to look for alternatives to get 16GB (was not willing to accept a 4GB downgrade from my 16GB laptop). I got lucky to find the KR version brand new Flex 15.6" from a US seller (he had only 1 to sell) - US $1,400 for KR 16GB + nVidia MX250 version).
    But I feel bad for everyone else in the US who wants a 16GB version at a reasonable price. The Canadian price translates to US $1,765.39 (using current exchange rate).

The sale someone posted above for $210 off for the US 12GB version has expired. It's back to $1,399 (which reflects "$50 off $1,449"); back ordered till Jul 1.