Two New Laptops: Galaxy Book Ion & Flex still no SGB12 update

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 29, 2019.

1. akyle32

akyle32 Pen Pal - Newbie

This laptop cools awesome! Im planning on upgrading my old laptop soon, I think I can wait for this release. This laptop would look awesome in my new desk.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2020
  2. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anybody know if the Samsung Galaxy Flex 15" has a bigger battery than the 13"? I've been looking at both and Best Buy raised their price to $1399 and prior to this week it was $1299. The Microsoft Store has the 13" for $1214 right now. I'm leaning towards the 15" and think I can wait for the price to drop back to $1299.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

My understanding is they have the same sized battery. I think the 13 gets slightly better battery life according to Samsung.

4. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello there. I'm currently in South Korea and have been looking at buying the Samsung Galaxy Book Flex (16gb with GPU) before I return back to the UK. My second choice may be the Yoga C940 15(numpad version) depending on the tablet experience. I need to get back into producing more 2D artwork and I travel a lot.

I'm a 3D character animator - but I don't do much in the way of creating assets or heavy rendering. I also don't game, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience on running Maya/3DS Max would run on the MX250? I've been using a Samsung Np770z5e for years now, and it has served me well with its Radeon 8870M and matte screen. But at 5.2lbs - it's getting a little bit of a chore to carry.

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's what Samsung told us as well. The 15 should get slightly less solely due to the bigger display.

6. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

Since you mention weight being a factor, keep in mind that 4.4 lbs, the Yoga C940 weighs ~1 lb more than the ~3.35 - 3.45lb Galaxy Flex 15".

7. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes - that's also almost 2lbs lighter than my current machine. I remember traveling with my Toshiba satellite in early 2000 and then later on, traveling with my Thinkpad T60p. Those laptops were 6lbs and annoying to carry.

I really do like the weight of the Flex.

8. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have any experience with those two, but I've used Blender on a 13" Spectre x360 which had no dGPu, and it didn't have a big problem w/ low poly renders

9. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks.

3D animation work actually uses the CPU (single core and high clock speed) more than GPU, but the GPU would help in regards to seeing shadows and anti-aliasing.

jedah likes this.
  10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Did a day of heavy inking yesterday. Around 8-10 hours, with brightness at half. I imagine if one cranked up the brightness and was using the pen all day, you'd get around 6 hours with that sort of heavier usage.

So, battery life results, colloquially speaking-
    10-12 hours light average usage
    8-10 hours for medium
    6-8 for heavy all day usage with a bright screen, pen, etc.

Given the very large size of the battery, the new IceLake cpu, and the lower res screen, I'd be surprised if battery life got much lower than 6 hours. You'd really have to be pushing it hard. I've not been able to push it below 8-10 so far.

Lilawyn, JoeS, nyb72 and 1 other person like this.