Two New Laptops: Galaxy Book Ion & Flex still no SGB12 update

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 29, 2019.

1. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

My pleasure! It sounds like you have very direct feedback channels to the industry, so anything we can do to relay our thoughts is time well spent! Feel free to ask for more opinions.

Yeah, it does seem like "feel" is glossed over in mainstream reviews that I've seen. I do agree to a certain extent, that these extra features of storage, BT, charging are good to have. But what one can make use with the pen is, to me, the ultimate determining factor as to whether this tech will persist.

I do have some spirited debates with those that firmly believe the iPad/Pencil is at the pinnacle of pen tech. Sometimes they argue that I'm not trying hard enough to adopt a new "medium". I do keep trying... but man... it still just feels like I'm using a noisy grease pencil on glass, it simply doesn't resonate with me. And I can't think of any artistic project where I want to subjectively feel a setup like that. Maybe I'm just too old school...

I still can't forget the first time I took notes on the Motion J3500... It just felt sublime, and when I compared a page of OneNote to my actual notes from a lab composition book, you'd swear that I scanned the pages onto the tablet. This, to me, should be a method of how one evaluates pen tech.

desertlap and DRTigerlilly like this.
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I had this exact experience today with someone who had never used a tablet. We had some documents to sign and I brought my SGB12 for her to use. Beforehand I had sent her a photo of what it looked like when I signed my documents.

she was like "Oh that looks natural... I have bad writing though, I don't know if that will work."

When I got over to her and she wrote with it, she's like "this looks exactly like my handwriting!
    I have to get one of those!"

So I have a new convert already My evil plan is working! and I've already gotten my boss who only uses open-source platforms to get a ChromeBook which also uses an S-Pen.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Marty and JoeS like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

From my experience with that type of user, it isn't a matter of the ipad/Pencil being the pinnacle of pen tech.......its rather this prevalent mentality that the iPad/Pencil is the FIRST and ONLY Pen tech. Like the pressure sensitive stylus didn't exist till Apple invented it. (much like how Tablets didn't exist till Apple invented the iPad)

This type of user is also typically Apple or Bust for everything computers....and typically they are traditional artists who never drew digitally before.

For all intended purposes for the masses, Digital Art = iPad and Apple Pencil

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

This would be perfect in a 11in size. Any rumors of a smaller model?

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any thoughts or experience on battery life yet? The reason I ask is that when we tested both, the 13 had much better battery life (almost 35%) than the 15 which seems much more than you'd expect just given the two screen sizes, plus the 15 has a 20% bigger battery.

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

If I turn on the Samsung "battery plus mode", which seems to be something like the Win10 "best battery mode", and I have the screen around 50% (more than bright enough for my needs, given how bright the screen gets), I've been getting around 12 hours battery life without really trying. I've turned off the "flicker free" mode and the "HDR+" mode in the Samsung settings, both of which seem to make the screen brighter at the lower settings. If I'm doing something more intensive, like drawing or such, or I'm on Best Performance mode, I get 8-10, depending... also without really trying to conserve power.

However, my experience so far is that even on the Battery Plus mode, the device is more than powerful enough to move very smoothly and quickly with most of what I do in a normal day-- far far more so than my older Thinkpad 14 on that setting. It's been very snappy and highly responsive even so-- touch, changing apps, video, etc. So, I've just been keeping it at that setting in general. I'm not doing much of consequence though, in terms of power-hungry apps-- Office, MS Edge, streaming video, drawing and building maps in Sketchbook, using Sketchup Pro, etc.-- so mileage may vary.

Out of curiosity, what are you getting on the 13?

7. desertlap

@Steve B Thanks for that. In our tests we got about 11 hours on the 13inch and about 8 hours on the 15 inch. It's possible there is something off with the 15 either software or even just a bum battery.

We are going to retest early next week but I needed a baseline and that helps!

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

It probably has a lot to do with settings and usage. Like I said, my "test" has been on the best battery power setting with relatively mild usage. 8-12 hours seems realistic for many use cases, although a pretty broad range.

desertlap likes this.
  9. desertlap

Thanks Steve , we try to normalize our settings as much as possible across machines. Thus I suspect a bad battery, Samsung does as well and is sending a replacement

10. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

I have been using the Galaxy Book Flex 13 for a few weeks now. I left the battery setting to default which is "Better Battery". I have Flicker Free and HDR option both ON. The screen is bright enough that in this mode I have never needed to go beyond 30% brightness. I just ran a powercfg /batteryreport to check the battery life estimates and it reports 13:40 average overall at full charge capacity.

My use case is office, browsing, streaming, media etc. but for the same tasks this battery life is beyond any computer or tablets I had ever owned. I have turned on the Samsung setting to cap the battery charge to 85% to increase the battery longevity. Even with 85% charge it can easily last me a few days of off and on work.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    thatcomicsguy likes this.