Two New Laptops: Galaxy Book Ion & Flex still no SGB12 update

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 29, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@desertlap , @Steve B , @DRTigerlilly - You are all correct (as if I had any says so). As a non artist, the most important factors are: (1) feel on the screen (closest to pencil on paper); (2) accuracy and smoothness of ink flow (does it feel like it is coming right out of the tip onto the screen); (3) straight lines (no wobbles, hooks, etc.); and (4) noisiness of contacting the screen with the pen. More me it is very clearly Wacom EMR, Apple Pencil 2, and all the rest (with minor placement variations among the also rans).

So why did I anoint SG2 this weekend - Samsung refuses to give us an Intel successor to the Galaxy Book 12 (with a siloed S Pen) and iOS is still not a productivity workhorse.

One more thought - can we universally BAN magnets as the primary attachment method for most pens - THEY DO NOT HOLD AGAINST THE SLIGHTEST BRUSH WITH YOUR BAG OR ANY OTHER OBJECT.

JoeS and DRTigerlilly like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

OMG - Pixelsense? Since when is Microsoft's touch input ANY BETTER than Apple, much less Samsung. Please MS, you have to make up better excuses than my fifth grade grandson!

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I will say upfront that I've stuck to EMR for the last fifteen years, so there may be a little bias... My device history speaks for itself, and I also own an iPad and Surface 5.

From a subjective feel standpoint as someone who marks up docs, takes copious notes, and creates digital art, my litmus tests are:
    • Does it feel like I'm writing/drawing on paper?
    • Does my handwriting look the same as on paper?
    • Does my art look the same as on canvas?
    EMR:
    Yes.
    • With the interchangeable tips, I can set that "drag" I want to make me feel that writing instrument scraping on a surface. Motion Computing tablets using the felt nib was my first "a-ha" moment of digital feel.
    • The S-Pen cleaned things up with the drift and offset. Now, I pretty much only look at S-Pen capable devices for my phone/computing. (*sigh* Samsung why can't you offer a Nvidia 10*0 on the flex?!).
    • Finally, I love all the differences choices of pens... because as an artist, I'm definitely a brush/pen/equipment snob. There's this mentally satisfying feel of having the right precision tool for the job (i.e. Staedtler for pencil sketches, Lamy for inking) I might take the Staedtler innards and stick it inside a Copic Marker housing because I'm weird that way.
    Apple Pencil:
    Maybe.
    • But that tip... Pencil makes me feel like I'm using a crayon versus an S-pen which feels like a mechanical pencil in comparison.
    • I don't like the out-of-the-box slippery feel. I could use a "grabby" physical overlay that dulls the screen, pick your poison.
    • And that tapping noise...
    • When you add the slipperiness and self-conscious altering of pen strokes to reduce tapping volume, my handwriting definitely does not look the same.
    • Also, it may be my artist style of slow deliberate strokes, but I can't ascertain any advantage of this supposed superior lag response of the Apple Pencil.
    N-Trig:
    No... just no.
    • The simple answer is that I feel like I'm fighting with the stylus when I use it. My handwriting looks nothing like the real thing.

desertlap, dstrauss and DRTigerlilly like this.
  4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I entirely forgot about the handwriting looking the same
    and this is 100% why i HATE Ntrig/ Microsoft pen

nyb72 and dstrauss like this.
  5. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

I blame the most popular technology review websites for why we have so many crappy options in pen tech. Reviews coming from places like The Verge, Engadget, CNet, Tech Radar etc. couldn't give two hoots about pen tech and most often seem pretty confused about the pen technology altogether, routinely comparing any phones that come with Stylus with Galaxy Note, counting bluetooth tech in pen as a positive, focusing on how cool it is that a certain stylus charges while attached to the tablet body, while completely missing the real things that make a pen a good pen. They will throw around words like lag, and wonky while heaping praise on Surface Pro and iPad inking, and club all laptops that support inking, into one big lump as if all inking is the same.

Next I blame Samsung. They have such a clear winner on their hands and yet they love to confuse the market and use EMR tech in some and AES tech in other, especially when it come to laptops, or limit their flagship laptops to a certain amount of RAM and not even try to address the demands of the inking market in certain regions. This leads them to getting poor reviews even among enthusiasts and their cheerleaders and then disappointed with their product performance they just pull back and cancel product lines, and reduce focus. My Galaxy Note 10 Plus comes with 12 GB of RAM and my Galaxy Book Flex has 8 GB of RAM. I will be surprised if this product line doesn't go the way of the Galaxy Book 10.8 and 12. What a ****show of a company!

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I agree with your 2nd paragraph pertaining to Samsung, but I disagree with your first.

Routinely comparing any phone with a stylus to the Galaxy Note is perfectly fine given how few phones there are with Stylus.....for some Markets like the US the Galaxy Note is the only reliable option, so yeah any other phone that gets released with a stylus should rightfully be compared to the Note. When the Surface Duo gets released with Surface Pen support, and should Apple finally open the iPhones to the Apple Pencil....I very much wanna see vs Galaxy Note smackdowns.

And I'd argue the bluetooth functions are indeed a postive. I have a Note 9 phone and on my last big trip last August, the bluetooth camera shutter function came very much in handy for photos. And with my Gen 1 apple Pencil, and the Surface Slim Pen, having the battery life communicated to my ipad/surface has also been very useful in deciding on when to charge. And the sky is the limit on possibilities....Lenovo just unveiled a few new products which will be compatible with a new E-Color Pen that allows you pick colors from real life objects and then in use in Photoshop/Illustrator. Like you can take the pen a painting on the wall....and sample its actual color profiles.....that sounds like an awesome feature for artists.

And how the pen charges is indeed important for drawing. Not in EMR pens, but the original N-trig pens sucked in part for the sake of saving power and prolonging battery life. The hovering lag was a direct result of that. The advent of "Chargeable" pens as in the Apple Pencil and Surface Slim Pen, kind of eliminates the need to save/conserve power since they can be recharged relatively quickly and easily. So the Apple/Microsoft pen engineers can continuously focus on improving performance instead of conserving battery life.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    nyb72 likes this.
  7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@twitfri [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

nyb72 likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@nyb72 Thanks for that. "Feel" strikes me as much more important than it would otherwise be generally given the extended use and precision involved

@DRTigerlilly and @twitfri . Thank you as well. All of your insights and opinions are very helpful to me and you folks are some of the biggest reasons why I choose to hang out here, especially compared to some other other sites out there.

nyb72 likes this.
  9. desertlap

And just to throw something else in to the mix, because Samsung seems to sometimes just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/n...debuts-with-intel-core-i5-l16g7-lakefield-cpu

That being said, when they showed the Book S to us along with our biggest customer, their response was "put an intel chip in it and we'll be interested". I guess Samsung took them up on it.

Personally, this is intriguing as the overall design and hardware of the Book S is pretty impressive but was dampened by the inclusion of WOA

nyb72 and DRTigerlilly like this.
  10. desertlap

Two more comments on the overall actual thread topic. We are finishing up our tests on both the 13 inch and 15 inch models and I won't bore you with the details, but..

First and foremost is that the QLED displays are the stars of the show. Both are among the best we've tested especially out of the box. I'm looking forward to 4k versions which we've been told should appear in early 2021.

The other thing is that generally speaking they are upper their performance wise, but the 13 inch is definitely the sweet spot in terms of bang for the buck.

nyb72 and DRTigerlilly like this.