Two New Laptops: Galaxy Book Ion & Flex still no SGB12 update

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 29, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's where fixed speed of light starts to become a factor. As the strobe rate get ever higher, it moves towards the middle

Edit; there are likely other factors involved as well including the type of LEDs used for the backlight as well as how the controller "pulses" the voltage eg. 0 to 100 % or commonly in some of the devices we have seen something like a 100-50-25-0 pattern

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  2. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Just being colloquial, not literal. PWM "reducer" switch if you want to be literal. It raises the PWM to high Hz that us humans can't see (it's too fast for our eyes to perceive).

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

HI,
    As a moderator, I would like to ask for this highly technical, educational conversation about the flicker-free mode to be moved to another thread if reader's would like to continue it. This thread is about the Galaxy Flex and it's release and model, not about PWM.
    edit- if folks want to bring the conversation back around to the Flex and how it applies it, then I say great. But I'd like to bring the focus back.

At this point, others have gone through a reasonable amount of effort to explain the method that Samsung is using to reduce strain. If folks are not satisfied with that explanation, or one doesn't like Samsung's solution, that's perfectly fine, but I see no reason to continue talking about it here.

Kurt, you're opinion has been very clear for many pages, and you have shown the technical and scientific limits of samsung's approach. Thank you. Best of luck in finding the device for you. I'm sure it's out there. But it's clearly not this device, as it has PWM in the high frequency way described here.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    MobileTechReview likes this.
  4. desertlap

@Steve S
    We haven't gotten to testing our sample yet but, hopefully an on topic question.
    Is there a "video mode" option in the units display settings controls? The reason I ask is that with their QLED TVS they also employ "local" dimming where they turn off or reduce the brightness of "zones" of pixels to improve perceived contrast and black levels in a movie.

You definitely would not want to use something like that for editing in Photoshop but it can make watching Star Wars more pleasing

5. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Geez,Steve, I was hoping you had finally to rejoin the conversation. Ouch!

6. Steve B

Kurt,
    No problems. I just feel like this is a conversation going very sideways and farther and farther from the device itself. When we were discussing how Samsung itself was applying its method for reducing strain I felt it was on topic, if technical and very specific. But when we start getting in to physics and whatnot... no, that's off topic to me, and a conversation best left for a dedicated thread.

I will say that I tested it for you, and in layman's terms the upper-most brightness seemed the same to me, whether in flicker-free mode or regular mode. I could not personally tell a difference. But Lisa said she measured it with a device, and I see no reason not to believe her measurements. They are far more accurate than my eyeballs. :p Didn't seem much reason to comment on it.

Desertlap,
    I don't see a Video Mode on this device, but there are many settings in the Samsung Settings App, and there is a HDR+ setting as well, which is clearly used to artificially? create higher contrast. That's about as much as I know.

I'm interested to see what others think of the device as it rolls in. A lot of these things are very subjective. If you have issues with PWM, I can see why one would be very reticent to get a device with any sort of PWM, even if the company says it won't affect you. I don't think I suffer from that issue, so it's not a problem either way. I also understand that others might have bigger hands than mine, for which the half-sized shift key might be an issue, or they might be heavy PS users, for which 12 GB ram would not be enough, or they may be big-time typists and find the low-travel keys unappealing. The device is definitely not made for everyone.

But there were a number of things I thought would bother me, and they haven't. I've been pleasantly surprised. I thought the shallow key travel or the off center trackpad or the lack of a trackpoint would bother me a lot, but so far they haven't. Trackpads have come a long long way in 10 years, and the customizable gestures I can use to navigate or really lovely. I'm trying to get used to sitting off center though to the device-- that has taken a lot of butt-shifting over the last few days, as I keep finding myself not in the correct orientation to the trackpad and such. Always a bit to the right. I'm assuming that habit will change with time.

Oddly, the thing that I find most difficult to get used to is the larger screen. 15.6" is, for me, teetering on the edge of too big for a laptop, used at laptop distance. It really is so big I have to shift my eyes, and sometimes I shift my head, from side to side to see the whole thing. LOL. But it's also (to me) luxuriously wide and tall. Using it to draw on was very very nice. Watching video on it was also very good.

7. Steve B

Got my first BSOD- Video Scheduler Internal Error. Very rare for me to get BSODs, so it was a surprise. I was using Skype for a video call when it crashed. Not heard of many issues with this, but I thought I'd share it here. Scanned for corrupt files, checked the Device Manager for Display Adapter Updates, and checked Windows updates. Nada. Curious to see if it'll happen again.

njweb likes this.
  8. desertlap

Thanks for that Steve. I wouldn't be surpised if the HDR mode did do something like that. I guess I'll have to wait until we start testing our unit.

BTW: I think you will find that the screen size thing is just an adjustment phase and soon a 13 inch will seem small and cramped. I am especially curious about the QLED tech in the display and while it's not 4k, at least from what I have read, it has at least the potential to be a "best of both worlds "solution between OLED and standard LCD.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The 13" Flex is a very intriguing option but for the crippled specs in North America. i7 Ice Lake, 512gb SSD, magnificent siloed S-Pen - but only 8gb ram - really? Even more unbelievable is the 15" with 12gb ram - 12gb - what's with that? Still, I just LOVE that S Pen in a silo. MS buying N-Trig was the worse thing to happen to penabled computing - I know, I know, without N-Trig pen computing probably never would have taken off given Wacom's potential monopoly.

DRTigerlilly and njweb like this.
  10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Has pen computing taken off? It seemed we had more options when Wacom was king, than we have now. The Surface line is popular but is it popular for pen capability or for portability and the aesthetic... Even by cmcirtue if Microsoft's moving away from the pen focus in the operating system... How much of their sales is about the pen?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk