Two New Laptops: Galaxy Book Ion & Flex still no SGB12 update

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 29, 2019.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It sounds like a dream machine!

As in.., I can only (let myself) dream about it. It would be so easy to just order one and let the credit cards fall where they may. But that's not the responsible thing to do...

I have to agree with Steve, though. An old style USB port would be nice to see on the Flex. -I've gotten used to carrying around a SanDisk USB stick and I'm constantly using it. It's ground zero for all my stuff! Do you know where your files are? Mine are in my pocket! -I've looked into USB C variants, but nobody makes one at the "SanDisk Extreme Pro" level of speed and reliability. -And probably won't. I suspect USB sticks are going the way of the rotary phone, -that is, if they haven't already and I just didn't get the memo... Because I'm pretty sure memos have also gone the way of the rotary phone...

Kids these days! -Walkin' around with their heads in the gosh-darned cloud... (I remember when we carried around floppy disks. And LIKED it!)

Ah well. The future is metallic blue!

Give me another two years of good service from my current Samsung and I'll be happy. The future will be green or ruby by then.

JoeS likes this.
  2. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

It shifts the illumination curve a little to move PWM to a high enough Hz that we can't see or perceive it anymore (at any brightness level). It doesn't simply chop off a section of the brightness range, but to achieve the shift in PWM, the display can no longer go quite as dark. What I'm trying to say is that they didn't just remove the offending range where flicker happens.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@MobileTechReview Thanks for that Lisa. That makes perfect sense as opposed to some silly conspiracy theory:eek:

To further elaborate, that is 100% in line with how PWM (regardless of frequency) works and matches what they do with their TVs. Anything different would require new tech which hasn't been seen in the market yet.

MobileTechReview likes this.
  4. desertlap

No the way it works, it actually reduces the range at the top end as well due to the physics of cycling the backlight.

That's likely why its not default since in theory anyway it could negatively impact the dynamic range (whitest white to blackest black), Again in theory for me since I haven't seen one of these displays in real life yet.

Additionally again in theory the faster and thus the more you strobe the back light, will negatively impact the usable life span which is yet another reason why they don't say strobe it something like 7500hz and just leave it there.

5. MobileTechReview

Kurt, maybe this link will fill in some of the technical details. It's geared more towards TVs but is still useful: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm .

I measured the Book Flex display with the PWM control off and on using a Spyder X Elite colorimeter, and max brightness was within 30 nits.

thatcomicsguy and desertlap like this.
  6. desertlap

@kurt corbin Ok, so first of all a truly comprehensive explanation is far beyond my skill set and pay grade however think of it this way.

PWM is binary. Either the backlight is emitting photons or it isn't. Your eyes which are analog perceive brightness mostly through the volume of photons (trillions) received over a relatively long (from a digital perspective) period of time

Thus the faster the backlight is cycled the more the perceived output moves toward the mid point (half on and half off). So in essence you get cumulative large amounts of both light (emitting) and dark (not emitting) And thus closer to the median luminance point of the back light and compressed (perceptually) dynamic range.

If you want to wreck your brain with this, add in to this the fixed speed of light and together that's why for instance stars that are far away aren't as bright perceptually as our sun even though at the same relative distance they may be 10,000 times as bright.

And with that I'm out and I'd suggest seeking out a physicist if you want to go deeper :)

BTW: This is again extremely oversimplified. I didn't even get in to issues like transmissibility or that for example humans perceive green and red differently eg. a red pixel at the same actual luminance value appears brighter than a green one. Not to mention things like scatter , diffraction…. you get the idea.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Lisa? Is that you? :D

8. MobileTechReview

But of course :cool:.

DRTigerlilly, Marty and JoeS like this.
  9. MobileTechReview

Max brightness is 30 nits lower with PWM killer turned on our 13" unit.

10. desertlap

@MobileTechReview That s a pretty good article by the way and I had not seen it until your link.

Thanks again :)

MobileTechReview likes this.