Two New Laptops: Galaxy Book Ion & Flex still no SGB12 update

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 29, 2019.

1. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

The display side sure does flex especially at the bottom below the screen between the hinges. But not enough to seem flimsy. I think its similar to other thin convertible laptops like the Pixelbook.

desertlap likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks a lot. I have a Pixelbook as well and I'd consider that more than acceptable.

3. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

How did Dell achieve no PWM for the 4k display on Dell XPS 13 9300?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-...d-other-interesting-differences.464844.0.html

"...
    black-white and gray-gray response times are surprisingly faster on the 4K panel than the FHD panel. Usually, the opposite is true as 4K panels typically have slower response times than their FHD counterparts. This means that you'll see less ghosting on the 4K XPS 13 9300 than on the FHD XPS 13 9300.

And lastly, pulse-width modulation (PWM) is present on the FHD version whereas it is completely absent on the 4K version. You may want to consider the 4K option if your eyes are sensitive to onscreen flickering."

4. desertlap

I haven't seen it in any shipping panel yet but I've seen technical information on what was termed "dark shift" technology. In this they don't strobe the back light but shift the pixels to the darkest blue value repeatedly as an alternate way to create pseudo dimming.

Again I've never actually seen this in real life, but allegedly this avoids strobe effects because the backlight is at a fixed rate and the pixels are always active.

Supposedly the down side is higher power consumption since every phase change has a power cost. I am looking forward to seeing an actual production panel using this tech as we have lots of questions.

Of course it's also possible, even likely that was something screwy in their tests and it does use PWM though Notebook Check has a decent track record with this stuff.

PS: This "dark shift" tech was originally designed for mini led, but of course we've yet to see those anywhere

Marty likes this.
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

No, a touchscreen doesn't have to be glossy! I still own (rarely use now) a Thinkpad Yoga 12 (first Thinkpad Yoga?) with a lovely, 400 nit FHD, *matte* touchscreen with EMR support (though older version with drawbacks, unrelated to the topic at hand.) The point is, the exception disproves the rule and, no, emphatically NO, touchscreens do not need to be glossy! The touch response of this screen is flawless - and the pen action on matte surface, sublime! - and there is nothing about using touchscreens that favors glossy screens - rather, glossy touchscreens just cause disgusting fingerprints to accumulate along with allowing hugely annoying reflections. I don't know how many other touchscreens slipped through with matte finish, but this huge falsehood is one of the most irritating myths of any that plagues tech, IMO. I truly don't even know where/why the myth started - though I know why mfrs would rather sell glossy screens, because they look to be more contrasty and "exciting" - and for the life of me I don't know why the option for a matte touchscreen is exceedingly rare. Love to hear from others on this. Thanks for bringing it up.

Lilawyn and DRTigerlilly like this.
  6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Alrighty. I just bought it, and it is supposed to arrive on Wednesday. My new HP pen came in, and I'm supposed to get the fancy japanese Elecom matte screen protector tomorrow. So, we'll see. I've been talking about wanting a 15.6" EMR device with crazy good battery life and a super bright screen for far too long. Time to sh*t or get off the pot. Guess I've decided to... uh.. yeah. SO, I bought it and am going to test it for 2 weeks.

Biggest concern to me is typing experience and not having a trackpoint. Who knows?

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Lenovo & Toshiba used to do lovely matte screens with EMR but they've both gone AES :(

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Did someone already post Lisa's review of the Flex? If not, here it is:

Lilawyn and njweb like this.
  9. desertlap

I had a call with Samsung yesterday and one of the talking points was the "take up in corporate customers" of the flex and ion. Long story short, initial sales significantly exceeded expectations. And the most noted "best feature" is the new displays.

Here's hoping that Samsung sticks with this model line for more than a couple of quarters :)

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

but no Galaxy Book 12 update