Two New Laptops: Galaxy Book Ion & Flex still no SGB12 update

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 29, 2019.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh boy! You're going to go for it, eh?

The BestBuy deal is really pretty good when compared to Samsung's direct eBay store version.

That's exciting! I'd love to get my hands on one...

You thinking Blue or Silver? (These things matter.!)

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, I like the Blue, and it's all they seem to offer. LOL. So, I'm thinkin' blue..... ;P

I honestly wouldn't mind the silver either, as the blue units are clearly fingerprint magnets, but I've not seen any reviews of the Silver ones yet. The silver ones are always the Ion or the Alpha models.

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's hard to tell what the actual models are from just pictures, but from just the pictures in the eBay listings, the silver units seem to have a pair of USB 3 ports where the Thunderbolt ports are on the blue.

4. Steve B

The silver model with the USB-3 reports is 100% the Alpha version. All of the Flex models only have USB-C ports. Sadly, I would actually prefer the USB-3 ports, but the Alpha model doesn't come as a 15.6". That is a very big selling point for me.

I have seen silver Flex models on the Samsung website, but not at Bestbuy. Super confusing though. :p

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We've been told but haven't confirmed with testing yet, that the Flex models have substantially improved performance over the Alpha and that according to Samsung the Alpha is positioned as a "budget" model.

When we get our actual test samples in, I'll post anything significant we find.

Lilawyn and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

The problem with all the versions available on ebay with higher RAM and storage is that they all are being shipped from South Korea and therefore have English/Korean keyboard. Maybe its not an issue for some people but I would hate seeing the extra letters on the keys in a language I don't use. Otherwise I would have bought one a few months ago.

Even China has 16GB RAM versions of the Flex available on JD.com and they only have English letters on the keyboard but unfortunately they don't ship to US.

Also the Flex is only available in blue color in US and other countries from what I can see. The Flex Alpha is available in silver color. Samsung makes it look in their marketing that we have a choice of blue and silver but that doesn't seem to be the case. Also the Flex Alpha available in South Korea has S-pen while the Flex Alpha available in US doesn't.

Marty likes this.
  7. Steve B

It seems like, from reading your previous post, that you're pretty satisfied with the purchase. Have you had issues with the 1/2 sized Right Shift key? And do you mind the low travel on the keyboard? From your quick review, and from the Mobiletech Review of the Flex, that somehow it has a kind of pressure point and spring to it that is pleasing, despite the short travel.??? I'm eager to order mine in a few days and pick it up in about a week. Give it a test run.

8. njweb

njweb Pen Pal - Newbie

I had been eyeing one already interestingly before you posted and found and bought a new 16GB Korean model Galaxy Flex with nVidia graphics for the same price as the Best Buy 12 GB US 'Intel graphics only' version of the Flex.
    My only hope is that I do not regret the keyboard travel and feel (I am typing this post on my HP Elitebook 1050 G1 keyboard which is very good and I did not like the Notebook 9 Pen specifically due to the keyboard - I even returned the Lenovo X1 Extreme which I got for 40% off the high retail price due to disappointing battery life even though most of the time I used it plugged in; the Lenovo's keyboard on mine (I read they use more than one supplier of keyboard for the same model laptop) while nice had a bit too much actuation force).
    Worst case I will resell the 16GB Galaxy Flex and keep the loaded Elitebook 1050 G1 for now...
    If the HP Elitebook were lighter and had slightly better battery life, I would perhaps not even have considered the Flex at this time (although QLED is also nice).
    I also like that the Galaxy Flex has a nice solid build and a tough screen despite the light weight.
    Last year I had purchased a very lightly used but still under warranty Surface Book 2 with 15" screen, 16GB RAM and 512GB HDD; due to it having already experienced battery wear despite a limited number of charges (battery report came in very handy), MIcrosoft replaced it with a new one.
    I decided to sell it when I bought the Flex this weekend. I had been holding off from selling it but wanted to since it is heavy and not user-serviceable (did not think of that before purchasing it). If I am using it for work on a trip and the HDD dies, instead of being able to simply swap it out like with my HP Elitebook or now Galaxy Book Flex, I would have to send it to MSFT and wait for it to come back which is not a good option. Also once it is out of warranty they charge $649 for any 'repair' which is just replacing it with a refurbished unit since they cannot (easily) replace parts in these.
    Anyway, back to the Flex: Hope I enjoy the Flex keyboard enough (typing on my HP 1050 G1 is making me wonder). Will have to see for myself...
    People seem to prefer the Flex keyboard to the NB 9 Pen, so let's see.
    Will find out soon enough when it arrives. :)

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Steve B likes this.
  9. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes I am very satisfied with the purchase so far. I don't use the right shift key much, so the smaller size is a non-issue for me. Yes the key travel is probably 1-1.2 mm but its very pleasing to use. I am comparing this to my Pixelbook and Pixel Slate Keyboards both of which I loved and I think they were almost universally praised too. The Flex keyboard holds its own and is as good and invites me to type more. For people who are used to Thinkpad keyboards and other keyboards with deep travel they may require a bit of adjustment I suppose.

njweb and Steve B like this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Please don't go to any real effort either way but I was wondering if you noticed any case flex, specifically behind the display. One engineer that saw a prerelease unit noticed that even something as simple as gripping it to adjust the angle caused significant distortion.

He reported that as an issue to Samsung, but I don't know what the outcome was.

Thanks!