Two New Laptops: Galaxy Book Ion & Flex still no SGB12 update

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 29, 2019.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I remember stumping along happily enough on the 2Gb in my old Toshiba. It definitely required some clever work flow hackery to make it through bigger projects, but it wasn't a terrible barrier. 12Gb is plenty to get by on. I'd just have to pick between Photoshop or ClipStudio rather than just run them both at the same time.

But it remains annoying. That which was once a gift becomes a demand after enough time getting used to it.

Still, I'd happily upgrade to the Flex for the 15.6" screen and Thunderbolt ports if I could justify retiring my perfectly running N9P. I've been babying the thing since the day I got it, and it shows. It still looks nearly brand new! The only thing scuffed on it are the rubber feet.

I'd probably trade in my Dell Canvas for a Cintiq Pro before messing around with new laptops, and that's not likely to happen any time soon either.

jedah likes this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Mobiletech Review has their review up. She actually likes the keyboard too. Shallow but somehow responsive? I know some reviewers didn't like it, but much of that has been because o the placement of the fingerprint scanner and the reduction in the size of the right shift key. Her review and one other liked the keyboard though. I was surprised, because she's usually a big fan of Thinkpad keyboards-- so she knows what a good typing experience feels like. But she liked this one despite the shallow key travel. Interesting... I may get this one from Best Buy and try it out, and team it up with a bigger HP pen and textured screen protector....

My laptop is 6 years old, and this ticks a helluva lot of boxes- EMR pen, silo, 15.6" screen, bright outdoor mode, good battery life, thinner and lighter, better speakers, quiet fans. Potentially acceptably good-enough keyboard with a good pressure point. I would miss the Thinkpad keyboard and trackpoint, but it might be worth it for a two week trial....

FYI- Also, for those who really wanted this device but just HAVE to have 16 gb ram, there are a number of sellers on ebay selling models where you can choose your ram. They run about 1800-2000$ with 16gb and the dedicated gpu. They all come from South Korea. Delivery in 10-14 days. Thought it might be an option.

Here's one for example- 2000$, free shipping, 30 day return policy-
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Ga...hash=item34260e2520:m:m97c79hugt1l7My9UhJtLeg

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So.....only the Asian Markets get the Option for 8GB or 16GB in the 15-incher........and the American Market just gets no option of just 12GB for the 15inch......did I miss a memo or something where 12GB of Ram was deemed to be the Ram Sweet Spot for the US?

jedah likes this.
  4. Steve B

Yes, that's correct. Clearly its a shame, but atleast folks who really want the device can buy a model with 16 gb through this channel, instead of just complaining about it. LOL

5. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

And Europe gets no Samsung laptops at all...

Tams likes this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

There are lots of choices!

The price difference between a core i5 and a core i7 is $600..!

Damn.

7. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you mean switching to flicker-free mode raises the pwm frequency to 500 hz from something lower? Good idea, but I never heard of it. Why not just keep it at 500? I've never been able to figure out why they all don't just use about 10,000. What's the downside? Lifespan, huh?

8. Steve B

The 1400$ model has an i7 already. The 2000$ model gets a dGPU and 16 GB ram. That's the difference. Expensive? Yes. But some folks said this was practically the perfect machine except for the RAM, so I thought I'd show them how they could grab that option.

Thatcomicsguy, the 15.6", EMR style list was my wish list-- not what I'm currently using. That's for sure! :)

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

Yeah, I realized that about two seconds after posting. ~Deleted~

Anyway, with that memory bump to 16 Gigs and a modern mobile dGPU and that screen.., is this now the Unicorn machine? I think it might be! Was that so hard? We all literally aged 10 years waiting!

Hm. That's either commitment, or something we should be committed for. :D

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  10. Steve B

LOL. Indeed. The real question for me is the keyboard, and how it feels to use it after a decade of Thinkpads. I've been practicing navigating more often with the trackpad too, instead of the trackpoint. So.... It's mostly just habits, and has less to do with needed functions, so I hope I can learn to shift "sideways".

I've ordered my accessories- an Elecom matte screen protector, the HP zbook x2 pen, and a Moft-X mini laptop stand. They should all be here in 10 days or so. Once those all come in, I'll order the laptop from Best Buy, so I'll get the whole 2 weeks to try it out "fully loaded."

thatcomicsguy and Marty like this.