Tweaking Pressure Sensitivity beyond Wacom's allowed settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by thatcomicsguy, Oct 5, 2009.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'hold for right click' lag thing. Can you describe it in more detail? Also, what OS and version of PS are you using? I found that CS5 gave me lag problems on my old Toshiba machines, but CS4 didn't.

2. Avon

Avon Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

I've been trying to get a screen cap of what I mean, but no joy. What's causing me problems is the windows 8 pen (and touch) option to hold the pen (or your finger) still against the screen for a few milliseconds and have the right-click options come up. When holding the pen to the screen, a circular icon appears to denote that you are 'holding for right-click': http://i.msdn.microsoft.com/dynimg/IC106593.jpg

The problem is that when doing detail work in photoshop, windows interprets small strokes as 'press and holds', and therefor brings up the right-click menu - very annoying!

There is an option to turn hold and right-click off (under control panel - pen and touch - then selecting 'settings' for 'press and hold'), but the problem is that for some bizarre reason turning it off causes the pen to lag massively in Photoshop. Seems to be a common problem across other machines: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/samsung/54280-ativ-700t-problem-photoshop.html

I'm using CS6 on windows 8 on a samsung series 7. I've been hunting for a solution, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

3. Avon

Avon Pen Pal - Newbie

Would anyone be able to help with this at all? I still haven't been able to find a solution!

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

have you trried disabling the windows tablet service in services.msc? It may be a temporary solution. Not the Wacom one, just the windows one?
    Or did I hear they combined them in windows 8??

5. thatcomicsguy

I found that Photoshop has different quirks depending on the version, the hardware and OS you're running it on.

The sweet spot for my old legacy hardware, (Tecra M4) is to run CS4 on WinXP.

I did a video where I gave CS5 a test run where it showed the lag problem on my older hardware.

Maybe a solution in your case, would be to run Win7 on your Sammy, (the OS it was designed around), and then see what Photoshop does. --I saw one SS7S successfully running Photoshop CS4 on Win7 with no problems.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Avon

Avon Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, I'll have a look into the services.msc bit; but wouldn't that disable other functions too?

I actually used to have windows7 on here, and I don't remember having any of the problems I do now with Photoshop, but I do like Windows 8, so I might avoid changing back unless I have to. I guess windows tablets just aren't the perfect platform for photoshop. Oh well, it's possible to work around most of the quirks I guess.

Thanks for the input though!

7. thatcomicsguy

Another thing you ought to try before doing any drastic changes is the new (as of yesterday!) Wacom tablet driver.

Wacom Feel Driver | Wacom Americas

It appears to have fixed a number of problems with Windows 8, including the pressure sensitivity issue with Photoshop.

3phemeral likes this.
  8. Avon

Avon Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow! In one fell swoop that has solved all of the little problems I had with photoshop! Amazing; thanks so much! Just need 2 button pens to come down in price, and things'll be perfect :)

9. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

YAY!

I wanted to say that I have successfully changed the pressure curve in my surface pro 2 running windows 8.1!

I left it more like a cintiq pressure, leaning towards a softer touch, as opposed to the OP specs!

It's amazing as now I can finally reach 99% opacity without screwing up my hand!

T-ravisty likes this.
  10. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks thatcomicsguy!

I made this thread "Any tips for a better pressure curve on a tablet PC?" asking how to change the pressure for TPC's to allow for lighter drawing, mainly in PS (like I've found in SketchBook Pro).

Steve S linked us to this thread.

Anyway, thanks for this info.
    I'm more sold on TPC's than ever before, the sensitivity and feel seems akin to my Intuos now.
    I can now say that I really do believe that the 256 vs 1024 vs 2048 pressure levels really is just a marketing ploy (imo).

Makes me love my x230t even more.

Cheers, mate. :)

Steve S Comments: To all interested readers: See the discussion thread above for an expanded (and more recent) discussion about modifying the Wacom pen pressure characteristic for artistic purposes...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015