Tweaking Pressure Sensitivity beyond Wacom's allowed settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by thatcomicsguy, Oct 5, 2009.

1. jcdied4me

jcdied4me Pen Pal - Newbie

I was hopeful that there was a small app that would allow for a more flexible and robust editing experience for the radial wheel like the app posted for editing the pressure curve posted here. Does anyone know of such an app? The current Wacom implementation of the radial wheel is silly at best. So inflexible and took me about a whole day to add all my keys. Once I was done I found the workflow was too clunky and unusable in my workflow. I need to move sub-menu slices to different locations and want to move keyed slices to different sub menus to make things smoother in Photoshop. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. azelll

azelll Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, does this works for Windows 8?
    I keep changing the values, but nothing seem to happen, every time I open the tablet pressure tool the value are back to the standard ones,
    any idea?

thank you

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not sure if it works in Win 8 or not.

These days, I don't find I change Wacom's primary driver settings at all.

What I do is make and hot-key all the brushes I need using each individual art program's native pressure settings. That way, I get the different brush types I need without mucking up all my previous settings in other programs.

Changing the pressure sensitivity in the main driver in order to fine-tune one brush in Photoshop, for instance, would cause all my brushes in other programs to go out of whack.

It seems pretty simple in retrospect. I was messing around with pressure tweaking in the primary driver back when I was still very new to the whole digital art world.

There are still some cool things you can (only?) do via the primary driver, but I find they're not worth the trouble.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  4. azelll

azelll Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there, I love your comics!
    Thank you very much for the answer and also for the Photoshop Toolbar :)

Now... you kinda led me to another question... how do you set up brushes with Auto hot-key? is there any easy guide?
    I would like to tweak your toolbar autohotkey to use it with Sketchbook pro. but I got my brain fried,
    hehehe

5. thatcomicsguy

It's quite easy to tweak the button bar.

Two of the guys here in forum have done tremendous work in getting the bar adapted for Artrage. If you have the time, you can find a lot of golden nuggets by reading through that comment thread, (more than a year in the making!)

Otherwise, the early one I made for Photoshop/Sai is quite self-explanatory to adjust. I made sure the code contained comments and was organized in such a way as to make tinkering easy for those who came after me.

All you need to do is install the free Autohotkey program and then open the .ahk file in a text editor, (preferably one which is designed for coding and HTML, as they offer line numbers and auto-color coding for easy navigation.)

Really, all you need to do is swap in whatever keyboard shortcut calls you want into the appropriate spots, (which should be fairly obvious when you look at the code). If you want to get fancy, you can play around with changing the little pictures on the buttons, but that takes more time and a bit of brain crunching, but again, it's easy enough to work out. If you're at all familiar with Javascript, then mucking around in AutoHotKey is fairly straight forward.

The only complicated part is letting the button bar know which program you're using, (Sketchbook Pro). You need to swap out the information in the program call line at the beginning of each button section and replace it with the program call for Sketchbook. You can find that out by using the Spy feature which comes bundled with AutoHotKey; just launch it, and it brings up a window describing in real time what the mouse is interacting with/hovering over.

I'm the middle of a heavy production night, so I'm not going to be available to help out, but tomorrow afternoon I'll be free of immediate obligations and I can try to answer whatever questions you might have. Also, Steve B and lblb who did all the big work on the Artrage bar would most likely be happy to show you the ropes.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. azelll

azelll Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you!
    I will take a look at it over the weekend,
    thank you very much!

7. rlx

rlx Pen Pal - Newbie

Using the latest TabletPC drivers from Wacom Europe for Windows7, I found the curve parameters in file C:\Users\"My user name"\AppData\Roaming\WTablet\ISDTablet.dat. Additionally, I edited that file without even stopping the pen driver. I just needed to reboot.

I am glad I found this tweak since I feel the threshold for detecting the pen is too high for my taste on my LE1700. I had the same issue with the pen on my Galaxy Note, but the tweak on the Galaxy note was to adjust a potentiometer in the pen itself. I did not find such an adjustment in the LE1700 pen though.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  8. Avon

Avon Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

This might be a stupid question; apologies if so!

Am I right in understanding you; that you can tweak the pressure sensitivity curve for just Photoshop, or just a particular brush, without having to change the system wide pressure settings? And if so, how might one go about doing so? That would be incredibly useful!

9. thatcomicsguy

Well, I don't know about other programs, but I've got Photoshop open in front of me right now.

You go to "Window" on the drop down menu and select "Brushes". Then highlight "Brush Tip Shape" and there's a slider bar to select the hardness. I have mine all set to zero. I find the native settings in Wacom's driver to be a good fit for me. If you want them softer than zero, then you could use that open source pressure tool somebody wrote. (Linked somewhere around here). I've not bothered with it, however. Haven't needed to.

Anyway, you can save the settings for any number of different brushes in PS. I would imagine that if you dig around enough in other software, you could find similar options.

Hope that helps!

10. Avon

Avon Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, just realized I forgot to reply! That worked a treat, thanks! It's been a real pain figuring out how to configure the tablet for photoshop, but I think I'm pretty much there now. (In fact while I'm at it, is there a way to turn off 'hold for right click' that doesn't result in the pen lagging in photoshop?)

Al