TV Tuner on a Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ShadowBlaze, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadowBlaze

ShadowBlaze Scribbler - Standard Member

So I will be moving off to college pretty soon. I figured that I might just buy a tv tuner and watch tv on my tablet as opposed to buying a tv. Has anyone tried using tv tuners on a tablet? My dorm offers free (not exactly free since you pay for dorming fees) premium cable channels (ie HBO), how would I find a tv tuner that can decrypt those signals? Any recommendations?

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've come accross TV Tuners that will take analogue and digital but none that take satellite/cable.
    However, a TV Tuner is simply a TV and as with a TV you simply plug this into the cable and switch on, the same practice should be available with your tuner card.

As long as the card supports the connection type (coaxial) you may find it's easier than you think.
    All you would need then do is get the tuner to search for the available channels.

3. ShadowBlaze

ShadowBlaze Scribbler - Standard Member

So you're saying there are no tv tuners out there that will allow me to play premium cable channels on my tablet?

4. P8RSON

Not unless the tuner supports the connection type.

If however it does, as said it will be the same as connecting a normal TV to the aerial source.
    The tuner should be able to pick up the stations.

I would enquire with a developer what means they have to connect.

5. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

All you need for your college cable network is a normal TV tuner.

they have them in the USB and PCIMCA varieties. Anything made by hauppage is really really solid.

6. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

You might not want to watch TV on a 12" screen. You could buy a cheap LCD monitor and then use it as an extra screen for working on your computer too.
    Or you could just leech off your room mate.

7. PYROTAK

Fido does have a point maybe you should consider setting up a dedicated orb box so you can stream wireless to your tablet for awesome tablet pc in bed tv action.

8. P8RSON

As a matter of general interest...
    What is the connection type used in the US & Canada?

As I said, providing the aerial source that plugs into the TV for cable is a standard connection type it should work.
    I'd just like to know what is deemed as standard over the other side of the pond.

In the UK satellite first feeds into a decoder which requires a special cable and then streams into a TV via either scart or coaxial.

Not sure how the dorm system works though... especially when you want to view all 100+ channels.

9. PYROTAK

Dorms just have like a college Net type cable network. Its usually private and stuff so you only get like 60 or so channels. I would be surprised if they used a box (unlikely as it would be more expensive for the college)

You usually just plug it into the wall and its a NTSC source over coax.

Hehe we don't have scart stateside...we really don't have anything analogous to it either (scart is video and audio over one cable in SD resolution?) i guess svideo is close sans audio, but not really.

As for digital cable in homes and stuff we just have a cable box that connects to the TV via component + stereo audio, or DVI. Thats the standard protocol for 1080i ATSC

over the air 1080i can be captured with an antenna via coax

I am jealous of the UKs free digital over the air TV though, thats stuff is cool! (its like your version of DMB?)

10. P8RSON

I have to say we sometimes take for granted our FREEVIEW over here in the UK.
    It works though and it works exceptionally well.

I'm just about to order a new Archos AV7100TV which has twin tuners built in, a lovely crisp 7" screen, powerful stereo speakers and 100GB hard drive for storing loads of video, music, photos, etc.
    This makes it the first multimedia player available that also allows you to record digital FREEVIEW whilst out and about - thus negating the need for a source that would normally be the recording/watching hardware.

I can just picture myself sat in say my 4x4 in the middle of a field either watching or recording live digital TV.... nice :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.