Turn A Surface Pro Into A Mini Surface Studio

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dellaster, Jan 18, 2019.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Kensington SD7000 Surface Pro Docking Station

61RRu3xUbzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

51JuwnRvQrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I don't recall it being mentioned here before and it looked pretty interesting when I viewed the PC World review today.

And it's only $399... :confused:
    https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Surface-Docking-Station-K62917NA/dp/B07FWQHYXX/

It does appear to do everything the $200 Microsoft Surface Dock does, plus turn a Surface Pro into a reasonably near approximation of a small Surface Studio.

Marty likes this.
  2. GunplaCyril

GunplaCyril Pen Pal - Newbie

Sigh, if only the surface pro had thunderbolt 3 ports. They really should remove the "Pro" from the product name.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I’m kind of more impressed by all the ports, which are all done via the Surface Charging Port.....I knew the Surface charging port could pass Data as evident by the USB C Adapter Microsoft put out.....but it’s quite impressive that the single port can handle USB type A x4, type C, full HDMI, and Full DisplayPort. And given this dock doesn’t use the mini display port or use typa A.....theoretically.....while the Surface I doubt could do this, this dock could allow technically 3-4 monitors.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't see this when I created a similar post asking if anyone had seen/used this yet. I like the looks of it but it strikes me as really overpriced. Anyone actually seen one in the wild yet?

5. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

You've probably already seen these, but Lisa and Rubino have done reviews:

Takeaway - they both like it but it's overpriced.

desertlap likes this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

You know I hadn't thought to look there, thanks!. The only thing I saw was the writeup on The Verge. Confirms what I thought, nice, but not worth the cost difference over the regular surface dock.