Troubleshoot/replace T902 for illustration work

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Gareth_GNs, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Gareth_GNs

Gareth_GNs Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, folks! I'd love some advice. I currently have a desktop with a Cintiq (which I use the most, including for all final work in Adobe CS), an iPad Pro (for sketching on the go, and sometimes drawing my actual comic pages in ProCreate/CSP/Fresco), and a Fujitsu T902 with Win7, which I use for writing and Adobe work on the go. I particularly like using it for my rough page layouts (which I draw in InDesign because it lets me manipulate the text 100% fluidly. It does make large unwieldy files though.)

I’ve drawn probably close to 1000 pages of rough layouts for my graphic novels on the T902 or its predecessor, and it was working great until a few weeks ago. Now suddenly it hangs several times a day. The event viewer shows plenty of errors, but nothing in the few seconds right before the crash(es). I suspect maybe overheating of the CPU/GPU? Also sometimes it fails to Sleep when I close the cover.

Does anyone have suggestions of how best to troubleshoot the T902 and figure out what’s causing it to hang, AND/OR what machines I should I be looking at to replace it? Based on recent threads I’m getting the sense maybe ConceptD 7 Ezel if I want max power and am okay with high price and weight, or Galaxy Pro 360 if I want to go lighter and cheaper?

Thanks in advance!
    - Gareth (not to be confused with recent poster Graeth)

1. What is your budget?
    $2500

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Refurb OK

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I use a LOT of keyboard shortcuts, so I usually use in “laptop position”.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    13+

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Not Really

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    3+ (real-world high usage)

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Adobe Creative Suite, often with very large image and layout files

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows preferred

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Adobe Suite, CSP, Rebelle, Word, watching video

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Maybe, but not necessary

Screen Specifics
    1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    The higher the better, but it’s not my main machine so whatever

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Maybe, but not a key factor

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    Yes, pen performance is key. My experience is with Wacom. Touch screen is optional.

Component Specifics
    1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    1TB preferred (I can swap if need be - I put a 1TB Samsung SSD in my T902 a few years ago).

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    USB, HDMI – I need to connect to projectors somewhat frequently

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you are primarily 2D content creation guy or don't care about playing AAA games on your laptop. I'd go for Galaxy Book 360 for ~$1500. If you do need a powerhouse 3D card or 32GB of RAM minimum, then step up to Concept 7D Ezel for $2500+.

thatcomicsguy and Gareth_GNs like this.
  3. Gareth_GNs

Thanks Shogmaster! Am I correct that if I go with Samsung it has to be the Pro 360 -- the Pro doesn't have pen support, right?

Also it looks like none of these have HDMI -- can I assume a HDMI projector or TV will connect seamlessly to USB-C/Thunderbolt4 via an adapter?

Thanks!
    Gareth

4. Shogmaster

360 is the pen version. Pro dont have EMR layer. USB C will let you do HDMI via adapter.

Gareth_GNs likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You're in the same position as me back in late 2017, when my workhorse Toshiba Tecra M4 finally crapped out. (Same line of work, too.)

I treated myself to a brand new Samsung. (The Notebook 9 Pro 15). I can definitely vouch for Samsung and that model specifically.

The Acer looks cool, but there's a current thread in the Acer section where a user is experiencing some odd cursor behavior with the pen. (A noticeable offset as the stylus heads toward the edge of the screen. -A problem my Samsung definitely does not have.)

I'd go with the Samsung Flex 15.6 because you can still get them new if you hunt around, and it has a pen-in-body feature, (it's just a toothpick, but it's always instantly available. Naturally, it's best to get a compatible larger stylus for real work and carry that separately, but the toothpick on my Notebook 9 Pro is extremely handy and I use it all the time for general tasks when I just want to do some quick computing and don't want to fish out my art pen. I pretty much never use the mouse pad). The latest batch of Samsung 2-in-1s (those Pro 360s) don't have the tuck-away pen.

I hear the screen on some of the Flex units can be a bit loose. That may annoy you if you don't completely fold it down for drawing. (I have a little wooden rig which holds it at a drafting board angle. I plug in a portable keyboard so I have access to shortcuts, etc. Weirdly, pen computing sucks for data entry, the main thing it was made for.)

If you want to save some bux, you can find used and refurbed Notebook 9 Pro 15 units on eBay for $1000 and under. (Which gives you USB A ports as well as a USB C and an HDMI out. I actually question whether there's been much genuine improvement over that model; they got so much right when they released it. Maybe improved battery life on the later ones? The N9P is a bit heavier than the newer ones, but really, it's been a wonder machine for me. A very worthy replacement for my old Toshiba).

Whatever you end up getting, the new state of the technology is going to absolutely blow your socks off. Screen tech and Wacom's digitizers have come a looooooong way since the early days of Tablet PCs. Like my beloved old Toshiba, the T902 is a stone age relic now. It'll almost feel like going from a 1980's TV to a modern flatscreen.

Oh, and the Samsung touchscreen experience is friggin' magical. CSP is an absolute joy to use.

So yeah.., I'm a Samsung fanboi at this point. I'd almost be embarrassed, except fanbois haven't got enough self-awareness to spend on 'shame'.

(Oh yeah.., right now we're in Mercury Retrograde. That means.., don't buy any computers or tech until the end of October or you'll be sorrrrrry. You have been warned). If you do try, please post the circus of annoying hassles here and we'll try our best to help and commiserate and all that.

Cheers, and good luck with whatever you choose!

doobiedoobiedum and Gareth_GNs like this.
  6. Gareth_GNs

Thanks! Ha, I never paid any attention to astrological scheduling of my computer purchases, but Google tells me you are not alone in that belief. I'll check out Notebook 9 Pro 15 in addition to 360. I do like having a pen docked in the computer.

Cheers

7. Shogmaster

I love my Notebook 9 Pro 15 but its getting a bit long in the tooth. Its 8th gen i7 barely makes it compatible with Win11. Unless you find one for a song ($750 or less for 16GB RAM almost new), stretch for newer Samsungs like Notebook 9 Pen (still has pen in dock) or go all the way to 360 15".

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. Gareth_GNs

Cool, thanks! It looks like the Notebook 9 Pen also uses 8th gen i7. I'm not strapped for cash in this price range, so whether an older generation machine is worthwhile seems like it largely comes down to how much I care about the pen dock. Which is hard to know without using it for a while. I've only lost one pen in the last 15 years, but that's with a dock in each machine I've used. Without that, my loss rate will likely go up. Then again, that's what spares are for (and I already have at least one spare that will probably work.) I'll go try playing with the 360 in a store and see if that yields useful information.

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Flex (at least in some models) comes with an Intel 10th Gen Ice Lake CPU.

And it has the tuck-away stylus.

And it's blue.

10. Shogmaster

I really wish Samsung put out Ryzen laptop... I don't know how Alder Lake will shake out but it still sounds like it sucks down all the power you'd give it. Intel SoCs really are a terrible choice for laptops...