Travelling office tablet

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by medic002, Dec 24, 2013.

?

Which option is the best

Poll closed Jan 17, 2014.
  1. baytrail dell venue pro

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. I3 dell venue pro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. asus t100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. lenovo surface 2 RT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. A different tablet (please suggest)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. A laptop (please suggest)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. medic002

medic002 Pen Pal - Newbie

I currently have an x220 that whilst more than powerful enough for my needs, is starting to show the structural damage of living in my bag 24/7.What I want to do is buy a cheap (as possible) light device with a long battery that can live in my bag instead. Unfortunately everything is either exorbitantly expensive or much more powerful than I need. something like a MBA would be great because of size and battery life but is expensive, fragile and has OSX.

I don't specifically need a laptop, and a tablet probably meets my need better - But, I need windows office so need a windows 8 device that can run it. I don't play any games apart from the intermittent web browser flash game. Any suggestions for a tablet that would feet these needs?

I live in the UK.

Thanks

2. medic002

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

up to £700

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Windows in an form - not RT

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

UK

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

no

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

6+ hours, preferably around 9

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Word processing (microsoft office), web surfing

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Windows 8 - not RT

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Microsoft office

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Online flash games but nothing else

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

no

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

720p or greater

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

no

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

no

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

30gb+ would like a microSD card but not crucial

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Prefer microSD

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

Like it to be light

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  3. ARIHANT

ARIHANT Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi!! My suggestion for you would be ASUS TRANSFORMER BOOK T100. This will fit your budget & requirements. Full windows 8 tablet with detachable keyboard, lightweight, good battery life etc. Can Google for the reviews, this is currently a good selling product with good reviews.
    Notebooks & Ultrabooks - ASUS Transformer Book T100

4. medic002

Ah, thank you. It is very tempting but in the uk it actually costs around $540 so isn't quite the steal it is in the US. But thanks, will see if I can get it cheaper and keep an eye out for it.

5. ARIHANT

ARIHANT Pen Pal - Newbie

It's almost the same price in India. I mentioned because its pretty within your budget of appx. $900. Even I would have been interested in buying one if it would have incorporated an active digitizer stylus & 3G data support. I also have almost the same requirements as yours but I need additional active digitizer stylus & 3G data support.
    I would really appreciate any help regarding my purchase. Unfortunately very limited buying options in India.

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Have you looked at the Atom version of the Dell Venue 11 Pro? I think it is under $500 US.

7. medic002

So, after a christmas windfall my budget has increased to about $1000. looking at the dell, it certainly looks good but I am indecisive. If I broadened this debate into, what is the best full windows device I can get for <$1000, that is both light, small (up to 12/13") and with a long battery life, likely to give me 2 years of service - What is the best device? the dell venue 11 pro certainly looks good - but is there anything better? Talking in terms of both laptops and tablets.

8. Zukem

Zukem Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately, there currently are not that many convertible tablets that are really good for productivity and under 1000. The Lenovo Yoga is not a convertible tablet, but otherwise might be a great bargain for you. Similarly, Samsung makes some very good ultrabooks, but once again those are not tablets.

Your best bet right now is probably an acer iconia W700 series, like this one: Acer | Iconia W7 | Iconia W700-6454 | Overview. Acer also has the P3 convertible in your price range. Unfortunately, neither of these have a clamshell design, so you don't have freedom of angle when you are using them in laptop mode.

If you are willing to pay a bit more and want a slightly more powerful rig, consider the hp split or hp spectre or ASUS transformer 300LA. Those all have 13" screens and clamshell designs.