Transferring to a University....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Barry J. Doyle, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funky

funky Pen Pal - Newbie

That time of year has come where kids are going to be needing a laptop and I'm one of them. I initially considered getting a regular laptop, but I like to be different so I started to look at tablet pc's. I am really impressed about the functionality of these things and coming from a local community college to a big university, tablets will help me keep organized.

anyways, i was wondering what tablets you would recommend for a college student.

im going to be using it almost everyday, if not everyday, lugging it around campus from class to class. I need to be taking notes of course. Other uses would be browsing the net, watching animes like bleach or naruto and very light gaming, like starcraft:broodwar.

size is not too important because it seems the "desk-top" replacement tablets are ~6 lbs whereas the "thin and lights" seem to weigh between 3~5.
    I think i am capable of carrying those amounts, but of course the lighter with the specs needed to fulfill my tasks would be great.

I'm not sure which brands are good, because ive heard many comments about all the brands. Ie, Toshiba's quality has suffered, HP/Compaq customer service sucks, etc etc. I am open to any brand but I really need to best "bang for your buck" haha, something maybe 1300~1400, 1500 is pushing it but it could work.

This is a great site and i hope to become a more active member within it. Thanks to all of you in advance and have a nice night.

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. funky

funky Pen Pal - Newbie

how bout the Acer TMC312XCi or 314? i found the TMC312XCi @ newegg for around 1555 and it seems to have all the specs i would want.

4. apeezee

apeezee Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently bought an r15 when compusa had their employee price thing going on, so far i am very happy with it. The one thing i did do was order some more ram from newegg to beef it up to 1g of ram from 512. I was tempted to get the M4, but for what i need it for, doctorate school, i think that the r15 was better for me and my budget. It's been great so far, i haven't had a chance to experience it in a classroom situation, but i think it will perform great. It does get a little hot if you try to hold in on your lap, but it will be mostly on a desk anyways. I'd give the r15 a good look for what you need it to do, but if you want graphics and the like, M4 is the way to go if you have the money.

5. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Acer C314 would also be a fine choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.